My first impressions of the water cooled R1200GS Adventure

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

My first impressions of the water cooled R1200GS Adventure

Post by Dave »

Not what I would call a thing of beauty...

Yesterday I put my R1200GS Adventure (twin cam) in for a service at Calterdon Inverness.
A nice run up past the Lecht , in not so nice snow/hail...but after the Bridge of Brown the weather was great.

I had arranged for a test run on a new water cooled GS, but they surprised me by offering an Adventure spec as I did not think they were available yet, so I took that out.

First impressions...looks like a GS but does not ride like one, surprising, and a very good thing.
Instant grin on the face.

Throttle response is good, as soon as you start to move, it feel a lot lighter and nimble than the old version.

The twisty road handling is good, such a better throttle response on the move, good fun.

I took it onto a gravel road to test the traction control. It is a lot better, not as brutal cutting the power, and allows a little bit of slip...not much wheel spin but enough to create a visible line in gravel
I am still not convinced by traction control on a bike.

For me the not so good points are:
The adjustable screen...easy to adjust, good idea, but it flexes a lot and was initially distracting.
The dials...the rev counter is too small and I prefer a digital read out for the speed.
There are far too many switches, buttons etc on the bike, many lack feel and I was often unsure if I hit them correctly, especially the indicator switch.
The multipurpose display...again far too much going on for me, but once you get accustomed to the buckets load of information you miss it on the bike that don't have those functions/displays.
The side stand is hidden away, like a sports bike...great for the look, not for good for finding it on a dark night with no street lighting.

These points are just being picky...the latest versions of the big country hopping panzer is a very good bike.

But,.. when I got home, I had to take the KTM out (yes, got grief from the misses along the lines of ..."but I though you have just spent ALL day riding bikes, are you going out AGAIN!!)
A wee hole has recently developed in the exhaust just before the silencer...makes it is sound grrrrreat...so right away it put a smile on my face.
When I reached the road, I stopped to see if the rear was flat, no it was not, just the handling character of the TKC80s...got to laugh :log :log :log
After doing over 300 miles over twisties on the two panzers, both on Anakee 3s...initially the KTM was squirming all over the place, but it only takes a few corners to get the hang of it.

My old panzer is a very good bike, very flexible, I do enjoy it.
I also think the panzers are better designed as touring bikes and better built.

Best bike...for the engine, response, feel thru the bars and giggle factor...I was surprised as for me it is still the KTM.
But the new GSA is getting closer to my 8 year old KTM 990...I must avoid riding the new 1190 version.
Zzzz
Baw Bag

KTM 1190 Adventure

Post by Zzzz »

I spent some time on the KTM stand at The Scottish Motorcycle Show today. The adventure bikes look and feel pretty good. I had thought that the new Honda Africa Twin could be the next bike for me, now I have seen the KTM 1190 Adventure - any more comments?
D3LS M
Late Braker

Re: KTM 1190 Adventure

Post by D3LS M »

Zzzz wrote:I spent some time on the KTM stand at The Scottish Motorcycle Show today. The adventure bikes look and feel pretty good. I had thought that the new Honda Africa Twin could be the next bike for me, now I have seen the KTM 1190 Adventure - any more comments?
I've ridden both, and think they are two different animals. The KTM has a 19 inch front and is a beast of a road bike, the AT with a 21/18 wheels is much more off road orientated, but the engine is a peach of a parallel twin.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: My first impressions of the water cooled R1200GS Adventure

Post by al »

Don't forget about the 1050 Adventure. Similar engine power to the AT.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: My first impressions of the water cooled R1200GS Adventure

Post by Dave »

HUGE Big Adventure are all very silly, there biggest drawback is their weight.

There is no environment suited to their massive power and torque with that tall riding position and offroad/trail type rubber that barley lasts 1500 miles on the rear when taking things easy.

Just brill :biggrin2

Thanks you KTM for starting this silly trend along with Ducati and their Multishopper…now the really silly S1000XR is well in that mix.

Oh how I love silly bikes :biggrin2

It is good to see Honda bringing things back to almost sensible levels, and KTM downsizing to an almost usable bike :2up