Heated Vests

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Heated Vests

Post by haiax0 »

Plug in vs External Battery... What are your experiences? What brands are top and what is not? What is considered reasonable prices for such things?

After 100 miles tonight through the boonies I was getting rather cold to the core. Despite my liners being in my textiles, my mind soon wondered to warmer thoughts.

I am finally getting round to heated grips (next week) but its kicked of the idea of how viable a heated base layer might be.

So what's the low down on heated vests?

I know.. what a wuss!! :oops
Last edited by haiax0 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

Just got my 1st set of heated grips and after their first use I am a convert. My old man uses Keis stuff with it's own battery supply and seems very happy with his new boot inserts.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
Zax
Derren Brown

Re: Heated Vests

Post by Zax »

I am a total convert to heated grips - best value modification to any bike - warm hands = happy rider
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Re:

Post by haiax0 »

The Rossi Kid wrote:My old man uses Keis stuff with it's own battery supply and seems very happy with his new boot inserts.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
Keis seems reasonable at 100 bucks all on for a heated vest! brings it back into the realms of possibility! :2up
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

my vfr came with heated grips,.... they're ACE!
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Some people say that loud exhausts are safety measure on the bike but I would argue that keeping warm on the bike and free from distraction will contribute more to your safety than a loud exhaust ever could.

Heated grips is the first modification I do to all the bikes I have had/have.

Even the Monster has heated grips although I currently use a simple on/off switch to control them as it looks more stealthy but I think I may sacrafice the look and fit a controller to have a bit more flexability.

I have used an EXO2 vest and gloves for the past 4-5 years. The vest is fantastic with heated panels on the chest and shoulders and a couple of panels on the back. The gloves are heated across the back of the hands and fingers so work well with the grips to keep hands cosy.

On the Monster, I use the same switch that I use for the grips to control the power to the plug for the vest/gloves. When needed it's just a case of popping off the seat and bringing the cable and plug up at the front of the seat to connect to the vest.

On the V-Strom I have the EXO2 temperature controller wired into the bike. It has 9 heat settings from the controller on the bars and agian the connector cable for the gloves/vest is loomed in so that I just bring it up to the front of the seat when required to easily connect up.

I generally keep the vest in my top box just in case because it can get pretty cold in the evenings during summer and if you are distracted by the cold then you're not concentrating on the road and can even start riding quicker than is safe to do so just to try and get home a bit more quickly and taking unnecessary risks.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Looking at the EX02 designs I quite like the look of this one:

http://www.exo2.co.uk/stormwalker-2-hea ... cPath=17_5

It appears to maintain a constant heat and is not adjustable. It comes with everything you need to get going but does not come with a heat controller ( although it can be amended if required)

Can I ask what model of vest you use? I can see there are a few variants? Based on your experiences is the heat controller required or just a nice to have more than anything?

I am getting the Oxford sports heated grip fitted next week!
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Sorm Rider - http://www.exo2.co.uk/01023mc-stormride ... cPath=17_5

Not cheap but it is a great piece of kit.
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Post by willian »

Middle of "summer" and the main talk on the forum is heated vests :eek

:log
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:Sorm Rider - http://www.exo2.co.uk/01023mc-stormride ... cPath=17_5

Not cheap but it is a great piece of kit.
From what I can see the storm rider boasts all over coverage of heat where the stormwalker provides heat to lower back and kidneys etc. on your experience is that alone worth near double the price?

If you didn't start with the heat controller, why did you move to one? A luxury or a necessity?
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

There was only so many layers I could put on under my textile jacket and still be able to move!

Going the heated route meant you could wear enough gear to keep warm off the bike and then get some electrical assistance when on the move.

Like I said before, I look upon heated kit as a piece of safety equipment. Unlike heated grips it will last you many bikes and you can even use it in the car or any where else with 12v power.

The main difference between the StormWalker and StormRider is the front shoulder panels. That is where I used to start feeling the cold before it spread across my chest. The StormRider vest gives you the warmth in all the right places.

I wear mine underneath my back protector so that both the straps of the protector and the protector itself pull the heated panels close into my body to provide better heat transfer.

haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Got the heated grips on today, I went for the Oxford sports.. hot damn there chunky burgers!!

Will take a little time to get used to the thickness and the slight noble of the cables entry point.

Just had a toot home and my... why have these not been in my life until now... :biggrin2
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

The Sports ones are a lot thinner than the original Oxford grips. You get used to the size pretty quickly to the extent that if I ride a bike with standard grips it feels really strange.

willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Post by willian »

I'm getting the Oxford Sports grips fitted at my new bikes first service, fairly going to need them with the higher speed than my 125 went at :log
mpgscott
Direct Access

Post by mpgscott »

Ive got the Keis X25 jacket along with the inner gloves and a remote switch and its brilliant, its amazing how quickly it heats up as well.

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/ke ... ed-jacket/
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

I went for the storm walker ex02 and it's also great! Little bulky! But fits in the bike boot and spot on warm when i need it!