Dark

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Dark

Post by al »

I went for a run last night after work and it's the first time I have been out on the bike on country roads in proper darkness in a good while.

It's great how manufacturers like to change the positions of the switches on the bars every now and then. The full beam switch on the V-Strom is on top of the left hand thumb controls which is fairly conventional. However, the same switch is the one you use to flash the lights. You push the side nearest you to flash the lights which means that when you are switching from full beam to dipped beam you end up flashing the lights.

The index finger trigger which flashes the lights on most other bikes just changes the display on the instruments. A great feature when you remember about it but rubbish when muscle memory takes over when you want to flash the lights in a hurry. In those sitionations you are not really interested in seeing the fuel economy or outside temperature!

This is the second bike I have had with a hazard light switch. The switch on the Versys was great. It was a latching push button just above the indicator switch. Easy to find and operate. The V-Strom, however, has a crappy sliding switch mounted on the top of the left hand controls along side the full beam switch and really hard to find on purpose with gloves on but very easy to catch by accident when putting full beam on as I found out last night.

The other road users must have wondered what the hell I was up to as I tried to find the hazard switch in the pitch black but with my hazard lights on and only being able to find the full beam switch and not the hazard switch all the time concerned with either running off the road because I was looking at my bars and at the same time blinding other road users with my disco lights not to mention the thought of hitting a deer.

How difficult would it be to illuminate the switches the way they do on cars to give you some sort of fighting change to find the controls. It will only get worse as manufactures try and fit more and more switches to the bars.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
perviepixie
Direct Access

Re: Dark

Post by perviepixie »

Sounds like you need a new Multistrada!!
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

I know what you mean

Generally European and Japanese manufacturers differ with the way they standardise stuff, similar in cars like the lights and wiper control stalks being “swapped”…I often clean my windscreen to let other road users be aware of my presence :??? :log :log

Dark…yip, time to start my annual hunt for additional lighting, then by the time I sus out what I want it is spring time and I don’t bother fitting anything.

I do know a certain bike that has good additional lights, and pretty sure a link for those light may be posted soon :biggrin2
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

perviepixie wrote:Sounds like you need a new Multistrada!!
On the latest one does the starter button still double up as the heated grip control? :eek

Too complicated for me.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Dave wrote:I do know a certain bike that has good additional lights, and pretty sure a link for those light may be posted soon :biggrin2
You mean this link?

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/l ... -solo.html
perviepixie
Direct Access

Post by perviepixie »

No, separate toggle ( 3 settings) on top of right-hand bar next to the Air Conditioning/Tea & Coffee machine.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

perviepixie wrote:No, separate toggle ( 3 settings) on top of right-hand bar next to the Air Conditioning/Tea & Coffee machine.
.. and the cup holder.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
perviepixie wrote:No, separate toggle ( 3 settings) on top of right-hand bar next to the Air Conditioning/Tea & Coffee machine.
.. and the cup holder.
http://www.kruzerkaddy.com/
sounds like a limp wristed golfing assistant
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Dave wrote: Generally European and Japanese manufacturers differ with the way they standardise stuff, similar in cars like the lights and wiper control stalks being “swapped”…I often clean my windscreen to let other road users be aware of my presence :??? :log :log
I drive a Mercedes, which has the automatic gear shift on the right hand side, down for drive and up for reverse with neutral in the middle. I also drive a Hilux which has the indicator stalk in the same position. I've almost become automatically ambidextrous between the two, but you can image the occasional cock up where I either select neutral to turn or indicate right when wanting to pull away. :roll
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Gazza wrote:but you can image the occasional cock up where I either select neutral to turn or indicate right when wanting to pull away. :roll
A mercedies driver indicating? :eek
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
Gazza wrote:but you can image the occasional cock up where I either select neutral to turn or indicate right when wanting to pull away. :roll
A mercedies driver indicating? :eek

:log :log :log :log
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

I certainly indicate far less than most drivers on the road.

Selective Indication :2up