Upgrades for my bike.

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

KoDen
Just Passed
Current Ride: Yamaha YZFR6

Upgrades for my bike.

Post by KoDen »

Hi everyone. I'm thinking to get few upgrades for my bike, but not sure where to start. My bike is Yamaha YZFR6, standard version, she has no aftermarket stuff at all. I thought to upgrade my levers, but the price for branded ones are quite high. I look at eBay for cheaper China versions, and watch few reviews online about them, but it is 50/50 on their quality. I've got pretty good tail tidy now, and upgrading my indicators, as factory ones are ugly. I will take in to account every suggestion and idea. Thanks in advance.
Bubba13t
Direct Access

Re: Upgrades for my bike.

Post by Bubba13t »

Upgrading to cheap Chinese levers is a downgrade :2up
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

I've a set of Chinese levers on my bike and tbh not a massive fan, but the bike came with them so not going to change. Evotech levers are worth the money and well priced for a pair of short or full length levers, if your not taking pillions I'd advise fitting a seat cowl and rear peg blanking plates to tidy up the back of the bike. And as you have a tail tidy you are halfway there :2up
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

A decent set of braided hoses is always my first port of call when I get a new bike. The sooner the big manufacturers ditch the cheap rubber rubbish the better! :deal
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

RK6 wrote:A decent set of braided hoses is always my first port of call when I get a new bike. The sooner the big manufacturers ditch the cheap rubber rubbish the better! :deal
Always worth cleaning your clipers first to make sure that the pistons can move easily before resorting to hoses as sticky pistons will give a spongy feel at the lever shich people can easily mistake for dodgy hoses.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

What year of YZFR6 is it . ?

( I had an YZFR6 that had been "tweaked" but it was an older one )
KoDen
Just Passed

Post by KoDen »

Zax wrote:What year of YZFR6 is it . ?

( I had an YZFR6 that had been "tweaked" but it was an older one )
It is 2008 model.
KoDen
Just Passed

Post by KoDen »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
RK6 wrote:A decent set of braided hoses is always my first port of call when I get a new bike. The sooner the big manufacturers ditch the cheap rubber rubbish the better! :deal
Always worth cleaning your clipers first to make sure that the pistons can move easily before resorting to hoses as sticky pistons will give a spongy feel at the lever shich people can easily mistake for dodgy hoses.

Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
I've ordered HEL brake lines, as well new seals kits for front and rear as well for master cylinder. So should work fine at the end. Only not sure if I have to change pads as well. They not worn yet. I'm thinking leave them for a bit longer and after replace them along with discs. What your thought on that?
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Post by aisgsimon »

KoDen wrote:[quote="Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]

Big Kneed Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
I've ordered HEL brake lines, as well new seals kits for front and rear as well for master cylinder. So should work fine at the end. Only not sure if I have to change pads as well. They not worn yet. I'm thinking leave them for a bit longer and after replace them along with discs. What your thought on that?[/quote]

Discs should last a really long time, 8 years and you need to replace them already?!
KoDen
Just Passed

Post by KoDen »

aisgsimon wrote:
KoDen wrote:[quote="Big Kneed Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]

Big Kneed Big Kneed Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
I've ordered HEL brake lines, as well new seals kits for front and rear as well for master cylinder. So should work fine at the end. Only not sure if I have to change pads as well. They not worn yet. I'm thinking leave them for a bit longer and after replace them along with discs. What your thought on that?
Discs should last a really long time, 8 years and you need to replace them already?![/quote]
Not, yet. Just want to add some styling with wavy style disks.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

If your disks are ok then I would leave them alone and put the money towards fuel and riding gear.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).