Removing a sheared bolt...

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Removing a sheared bolt...

Post by aisgsimon »

So in the midst of the constantly evolving project that is replacing my rear downpipes for S/S ones on an old VFR FJ I decided to replace the rusty looking rear suspension. I got all but the bolt that holds the adjuster on out, to which I applied too much farce in the wrong direction (got my lefties and righties mixed up, I know I know). It's in a Pal's garage just now literaly in half and was wondering if anyone might have a welder to which they could attach a nut to the sheared end for me either for beer or a small fee so I can remove it. Its attached to the frame so am trying to avoid drilling it out and tapping it since I'm a nubile mechanic at best (see above explanation...) but if anyone might be able to help with that I'd accept that too.

Hoping to do this whilst its exposed rather than put it together again and bodge it on until I can get it to a mechanics.
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Re: Removing a sheared bolt...

Post by willian »

Without seeing it in situ it's difficult to advise properly.

Not sure if a weld would be strong to take the torque for taking the bolt out, bearing in mind it'll be well torqued up since you've sheared the head off the bolt already.

Try drilling a hole down through and using as big an 'Easy Out' you can get in there.

My experience is that the square section type work better as the spiral type just strips itself out but others may say the opposite :log

Let us know how you get on however you decide to go at it.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

An easy out would be my last resort. If it breaks off you'll be totally screwed.

Drilling and tapping is safest, but you need to be very careful. Should the old thread be damaged then there's an option to use a helicoil to replace it.

If you're not comfortable, then get an expert to do it for you.
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Post by aisgsimon »

A flat head chisel made a nice indent and the chisel doubled as a screw driver, whacking it with a hammer seemed to help...Im learning a lot about bodging though, er , I mean, mechanics...