Gardeners World...

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Gardeners World...

Post by haiax0 »

Soon to be moving house with any luck and will not be fortunate enough to have a garage, although a fenced garden with space for a reasonably sized shed. I intend to store my motorbike and push bikes in it and be able to service them where possible. I have a small selection of tools (for the time being) and thats about all its expected to hold.

Can any one recommend minimum sizes required for the above based on passed experiences? I would preferably be looking for a middle entry doored shed as opposed to one end access. And thickness and security where possible of course is paramount.

pretty vague question but appreciate any basic guidance. :2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: Gardeners World...

Post by Dave »

Regardless of your planning, preparation, advice given, when erected and filled with your stuff, the shed will be too small.

Now that basic fact is highlighted, some things to consider:
1. Manoeuvring bikes, inside and outside the shed, this can take a larger space envelope that you think. Remember to visualise where you will be positioning yourself when moving a bike.
2. Doors, again a space envelope thing, take account of where/how the door will open. Consider roller doors.
3. Timber needs maintenance. "shed" timber is thin, may split/crack, knots fall out, may be draughty.
4. Metal may be prone to condensation, especially the roof, dripping onto whatever is below. But I have a friend that has recently built a single metal garage which has a very robust design. Not sure about the look or maintenance requirements.
5. Plastic, I have seen some Costco plastic shed built, once bolted to a base they were more robust than my initial thoughts.
6. Roof, rolled felt will need replacing.
7. Make the ceiling as high as possible for storing stuff. Consider using pulleys to lift pushbike about head twating height.
8. Think about essential supplies/cables the shed needs: electrickery, satellite, internet, phone.
9. Security...DO NOT give your partner a key. If so then it is not "your" shed.
10. Any slope/gradient/steps...the slightest slope can make pushing a bike with limited elbow room a proper pain.
11. Two days after the shed is erected, you will realise shed is not be big enough.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

I would buy a steel security type of shed (unless your garden is extremely secure). Whatever type you have, I would line it with rigid insulation boards (such as Celotex). Very easy to install. Then a nice comfy carpet (complete with underlay) to kneel on when you're working in there. As you're moving house you'll probably be changing carpets so could well have some for free.

Take note of Dave's comments above ref size. A middle door would require a pretty big shed.

Lastly I would install power, a heater and a dehumidifier to prevent rust.

When I lived in the UK my garage was detailed exactly so. It was the perfect working environment and none of my vehicles or bikes ever rusted. My heater was set up to maintain a temperature above freezing at all times throughout the winter. Beware having a heater and no dehumidifier or rust will be a problem if you store wet bikes.
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Very good points! Thanks chaps.

I am bound by a fenced garden / boundary at the rear of the house which is currently slabbed. Half of the total usable space should comfortably allow a 10 x 8 shed. So it would be longer than it would be wide. The garden has a good sized gate entrance so wheeling in and out a bike would be easy enough. But the shed would need to have either a wider than normal middle mounted door or have a door offset to the extreme right.

Generally I would be looking for some thicker materials and if need be entertain a self build. The ones on the tinternet seem to be a touch flimsy. I would maybe employ the use of Marine Ply and double the standard thickness of a normal garden shed (where cost allows)

something like this was my vision: http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Empire-Sheds-L ... Gwod1Q0EiA

But not having full access to the space until the move I cannot confirm if this would work. I guess I really need to see one of these sheds for space and get a feel for it in the person.

Appreciate the feedback so far.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

10x8 metre shed is a nice size :biggrin2
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Post by willian »

I'm looking at something from here to consolidate existing space I have (or lack of)
Lots of choice of shapes, sizes and build standard / materials.

http://redshed.co.uk/
willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

Or something local, couple of folk I've heard say they are decent.... will also build something to order if you have an off standard idea.

Not the best website......

http://www.carlessheds.co.uk/index.html
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Sorry to reignite an old thread but I'm also looking into building a shed so have a few points to throw in...

If you're in or around Aberdeen, you're better off with a security style pent shed which will have small windows along the top to allow plenty natural light in but prevent prying eyes perving on your kit.

On top of that, if you're even remotely handy and can afford to spend a weekend doing it, I'd highly recommend building it yourself. I got a quote for the shed I wanted from a guy down south which blew me away so decided to design my own in Sketchup and then priced the materials at Ellon Timber.

If I exclude my time, it's going to work out at roughly half the cost. Better still, I've spec'd it with much more substantial timber so it might actually end up being better (I say 'might' as I've never actually built a shed before) :log
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Pent roofs tend to be harder keep and are less maintenance free so I hear.

I have phoned round everyone and have been hit with 2k upwards for a shed (no savings for self errection :log... or collection)

So its going to have to be a self build.. just wish I didn't have to practise on expensive timber and go through the f*ck up process of it all...

Paint in the hoop!
willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

Make sure you go to builders merchant like Jewson and have an account as you get discount if you do.

Use treated timbers ..... Something like a 47x50 mm for the framework where you can as they wont rot and don't skimp on the roof truss/ rafters as good for hanging stuff from.

Also make sure a decent tongue and groove is used as using lapping boards will warp and open up letting in moisture and beasties.

Also make sure the base is square and level before erection ...... Finarr finarr.
RK6

Post by RK6 »

haiax0 wrote:Pent roofs tend to be harder keep and are less maintenance free so I hear.

I have phoned round everyone and have been hit with 2k upwards for a shed (no savings for self errection :log... or collection)

So its going to have to be a self build.. just wish I didn't have to practise on expensive timber and go through the f*ck up process of it all...

Paint in the hoop!
Don't worry about it, wood is fairly forgiving...

If I can build the below then anyone can build anything! :log

haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Tidy!

I will order one of those!! :2up
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

You have a tallent when it comes to wood.
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Post by aisgsimon »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:You have a tallent when it comes to wood.
:oops :oops :oops :oops :log
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

Costco have 10x8 keter shed for 700quid,... if I had the space , I'd get it, but I have a small store for keeping my vfr separate from everything else, pushbikes (x3) and mower etc
RK6

Post by RK6 »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:You have a tallent when it comes to wood.
Oh baby. :arse
haiax0 wrote:Tidy!

I will order one of those!! :2up
I designed and made it for my mum to fit in an awkward corner as she couldn't afford the corner unit she found online (from memory, it was about £900 :eek ).

I reckon the wood, fittings and galv tubing only came to about £140 so she's fairly chuffed with what she got.

I've still got the Sketchup design drawings if you want to give something like this a bash? It'd be good practice for building your shed. :deal
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Fire them over! very snazzy! Will PM you. :2up
splattercash
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ducati 1098s

Post by splattercash »

Stick to a budget our you end up getting carried away ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.