Tracer ?

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Tracer ?

Post by Russ »

Now that I'm back in work (at last!) I'm looking to change the Translap (In For Sale section for anyone interested!) I am looking for something different and wondered if anyone had ridden or owns a Tracer ?

If so, whats it like ??!!

:2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: Tracer ?

Post by Dave »

Just so happens that I have a Tracer.
I would say it is a fine bike !

Most of the grope reviews I have read rated it as the best in group test...but I have ridden many bikes classes as "best", but sometimes not liked the "feel" of a bike, so I always recommend having a long test ride before buying.

My text and thoughts from earlier this year: http://www.aberdeenbikers.co.uk/phpBB3/ ... =1&t=25541
"At the moment I have a MT09 Tracer, not sure what it is officially classed as, but for me it is a sensible all-rounder.
I have panniers and removable frames, a couple of options for topbox...all very sensible.
It is comfortable for all day riding, it is agile for a bike that looks big, it is not slow off the mark.
With three hard boxes, 2 at 33 litre and one at 52 litres, it is very capable of carrying more that I need. The 52 litre box can hold two helmets...all very sensible.
Initially I was not too enthusiastic about the bike but did think it was a good package (at the time I was still suffering from losing my KTM), but the more read about the MT09 and ride it, the more I appreciate what a decent bike it is."

Since I wrote the text above, I have done about a thousand miles, and my rating of the bike has increased.
It has no pretence of offroad abilities, but has a similar riding position, tall, upright, narrow build, nice and comfortable and very agile with a good turning circle.
The hand guards can make the bike wide if filtering thru vans/4x4 etc and proximity with their wing mirrors.

If you fit a flexible luggage system, you end up with a Transformer !

D3LS M
Late Braker

Post by D3LS M »

I bought one new in September. I test rode one last march and thought it was to much like the Tuono I had before, tallish, uncumfy seat and noisy as feck in the helmet, so was put off, however, I rode it again in September and loved it.

First time round the seat was in the high position, so that was changed, I had ear plugs in and second time round thought the seat was much cumfier.

For only being an 850 triple it pulls like a train, in any gear. The engine modes are ace, though I only use B and A as nae point in having it in standard, put an akra can on as I did and it howls, however, for such a cheap bike you get cheap suspension. The front end is brutal til you adjust it, it shakes it's head violently about 120, though again can be dialed out, and the rear shock is "ok" but you get abs and tc for not a lot of cash, for much more cash, you get an s1000xr at almost twice the price, but it Isn't twice the bike, in my opinion....obviously.
Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Post by Russ »

Cheers guys thats a big help, I test rode a Z1000SX at the weekend which was ok, but would like to see what the Tracer is like to ride before I decide but you have answered a lot of the questions I had so thanks mutely.

:cheers
tcat78
Direct Access
Current Ride: 2009 Yamaha R-6

Tracer ?

Post by tcat78 »

I test rode the tracer when first out - found it was too floaty for my liking after coming from an YZFR6. Next on my list was between the z1000sx and FirePlace. Wanting something slightly softer I opted for the z1000sx. Done just over 6000 miles in the year as commuting daily at the moment . You really need to ride all as to me the z1000sx and tracer are 2 very different beasts.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Dave wrote: Most of the grope reviews I have read
Another thing you shouldn't share on a public forum Dave. ;)
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Gazza wrote:
Dave wrote: Most of the grope reviews I have read
Another thing you shouldn't share on a public forum Dave. ;)
What is wrong with that, a fine subject it is :arse
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

I agree with the wind noise.

Having read a few comments on Traer forums with many people changing screens but not reducing the noise that much, I think it is a combined hand guard and screen issue
D3LS M
Late Braker

Post by D3LS M »

Put on a full akra system and keep the baffle out, wind noise won't be an issue I assure you ;)
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

R2D2 wrote:Put on a full akra system and keep the baffle out, wind noise won't be an issue I assure you ;)
No baffle and no cat converter, then just dig out the marshmallows for the flames :2up

:log :log
Russ
Tube steak

Post by Russ »

Not many up here to try but heading down to the show next weekend so will sling our legs over the saddles for a start !