Moderators: al, Administrator

Fagin
Direct Access
Current Ride: 1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100D6
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer Spoked 1200
2016 Big Mans Wanger R1200GS Triple Black

NERV's

Post by Fagin »

NERV's (Northeast Emergency Rider Volunteers)

Hi again everyone.

Some of you may remember quite a while ago that I spent a lot of hours researching the possibility of setting up a group of volunteer riders delivering a variety of Hospital related items as required between hospitals in the Northeast.

The original idea met with many positive views apart from a group from the west coast who basically shot it down in flames and everything ground to a halt.

I have since been in touch with a group from the borders who have been more than helpful and have provided me with a huge amount of information on how to start up a group.

I have thought of a possible name for the group and would appreciate any thoughts please.

As far as volunteers go if you are interested in learning more about what we would potentially be asked to do then PM me your email address and I will contact you.

I hope we can make a go of this but it must be a team effort :2up

Cheers and I look forward to loads of PMs ;)
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Re: NERV's

Post by Zathos »

Good job sticking with it and working round the doom and gloom merchants :2up

I like the name, although using the word 'Emergency' might rile up some people. Not a problem as you have a spare 'E' if required ;)

Last year I would have volunteered as I was based in the area all the time and had a nice commuting style bike. Sadly now I 'have laptop, will travel' to follow the work and therefore can't be sure where I will be from one week to the next. If that situation changes I will be up for joining the team. :cool
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Post by willian »

As long as the intention is good then don't let the negative talkers drag you down.
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

cool name! :2up
I'd be keen to volunteer but until my work situation,...( as in permanent) is sorted I can't say from one week to the next.
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Post by aisgsimon »

I did somedigging too and was told at the time that most Scottish activity is organised from near the borders and Aberdeen was already served by said group...This was blood bike Specific-ish but my queries into organising something local werent met with encouragement lets say...If this becomes a thing id be interested in organising as I have a abckground in setting up charities/community froups and could look into a few local connections etc, but am yet to get RoSPA/advanced rider training.
Hagar
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBF 1000GT

Post by Hagar »

aisgsimon wrote: but am yet to get RoSPA/advanced rider training.
Dont know about ROSPA in the Aberdeen area but you could try the Institute of Advanced Motorists £149.00 for their skill for life course which covers you for up to and including your test fee try emailing gordonam.info@btinternet.com I believe the next course starts on Tuesday 19th April :2up
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper

Post by aisgsimon »

Hagar wrote:
aisgsimon wrote: but am yet to get RoSPA/advanced rider training.
Dont know about ROSPA in the Aberdeen area but you could try the Institute of Advanced Motorists £149.00 for their skill for life course which covers you for up to and including your test fee try emailing gordonam.info@btinternet.com I believe the next course starts on Tuesday 19th April :2up
thats not too bad, ill bporbably give him a shout over the summer, I've yet to finish work on my bike yet so pending that ...
Fagin
Direct Access

Post by Fagin »

Hi everyone,

I need some advice/permission from the Admins as to what help I can get with setting up a group to cover the Grampian area, obviously like-minded people with a common interest is a good place to start getting support.

(Admins, am I able to use the forum to promote a new group and could you suggest anybody who might be able to offer their time to eventually set up a Web/Facebook page for a new group?)

I have had some very encouraging discussion with NHSG who have suggested the possibility of a core funding scenario on an annual basis to help keep a group running, this is a huge hurdle for any of the groups to overcome and if we can secure something it will be a massive milestone passed.

The group before I can register it as a charity will have to have a committee set up and before we can do that will need members, last time I did this I had a lot of interest shown and I am hoping that this message will generate much more.

I have thought about a group name and have designed a group logo already incorporating Aberdeen's "Bon Accord" the official toast of the city is "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again - Bon Accord" quite apt for the delivery of live saving products I'm sure you'll all agree?

Open to thoughts and suggestions on the logo ;)

Ecosse Motorcycles have offered support and have offered the use of an ST1100 which we could have liveried up to use as a PR bike for fund raising.

If any of you know of contacts that might be able to help in any way shape or form then shout out.

As before, if anyone is interested in a role with a new group please PM me with your contact details so that I can make a list to put forward to get a charity number to get things moving forward.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

You are doing a fine job :2up
Fagin
Direct Access

Post by Fagin »

Zathos wrote:Good job sticking with it and working round the doom and gloom merchants :2up

I like the name, although using the word 'Emergency' might rile up some people. Not a problem as you have a spare 'E' if required ;)

I have decided to drop the word "Emergency" in the logo and the group will be called "North East Rider Volunteer's" It was easier to fit everything in when I designed the logo :log
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Fagin wrote:
You're doing a great job Fagin. I like the Bon Accord logo, but I think it lacks the biker touch. Personally I would drop the heart and put a front view of a naked motorcycle in there. Something like this, right between the two cats. May you could put a couple of small red hearts for the indicators, if you also want the blood theme.

willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

Bon Accord with a bike theme would be great.
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

could be of some use to this now that I have permanent employment and shifts
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

I'm keen to help out but I'm currently on a 3:3. If you feel I could still contribute, please let me know.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper

Post by aisgsimon »

Logo looks nice though thats a matter that can be dealt with in time, encouraging to hear about the core funding!

Money makes things happen and is more than half the battle though sustainability will be tough to crack as many funding bodies are less keen to 'chuck money' at things these days...Startup money is easy to find as it looks good for the press but as above core funding is always nice but keeping it depends on those lot in Westminster...And of course i think they should always give more money to anything to do with Bikes! But thats the end of my boring post!

Looks like you've been doing loads of work into getting things moving, happy to do what I can when I can but you know that! Exciting times!

Whens the first meeting, obviously in a pub! :cheers
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

I'm more than willing to lend a hand. :2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

RK6 wrote:I'm more than willing to lend a hand. :2up

Hopefully not with a spanner in it :log :log :log
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Dave wrote:
RK6 wrote:I'm more than willing to lend a hand. :2up

Hopefully not with a spanner in it :log :log :log
Don't worry, my spannering skills have come on leaps and bounds in the past 10 years. :log
Fagin
Direct Access

Post by Fagin »

Gazza wrote:
Fagin wrote:
You're doing a great job Fagin. I like the Bon Accord logo, but I think it lacks the biker touch. Personally I would drop the heart and put a front view of a naked motorcycle in there. Something like this, right between the two cats. May you could put a couple of small red hearts for the indicators, if you also want the blood theme.

Hi Gazza,

I have been told by other Blood Bike Groups to try and keep the Logos to a more health orientated theme as they have in the past had members of the public comment that other groups with such a motorcycle styled badge think that they looked more like a bike club rather than a charity.

That's not to say that we couldn't design a similar logo with the bike included to give out stickers to kids when we have a PR day ;)
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Fagin wrote: Hi Gazza,

I have been told by other Blood Bike Groups to try and keep the Logos to a more health orientated theme as they have in the past had members of the public comment that other groups with such a motorcycle styled badge think that they looked more like a bike club rather than a charity.

That's not to say that we couldn't design a similar logo with the bike included to give out stickers to kids when we have a PR day ;)

Fair enough mate. I understand, but I'm thinking that that bikers could do with a bit of good publicity. Maybe something a little less aggressive. End of the day, it's all good.
willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

Hi Fagin, just wondering how things are going wit this?