Insuring someone elses bike short term

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Sgoaty
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda firestorm, ZZR1200, RC8R

Insuring someone elses bike short term

Post by Sgoaty »

My girlfriends father died suddenly last week and her mum wants someone to ride his Ducati 999 to the funeral as it was his pride and joy.

The bike is obviously registered in his name so I'm not sure how i could go about getting it insured for me for the day.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Scott
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Insuring someone elses bike short term

Post by al »

You have three bikes listed on your profile on here. If you already have a multi-bike insurance policy can you add it to your policy to make sure you are fully covered?

I had to do a similar thing with my father in law's car when he passed away until it was decided what was happening to the car. It meant that it could be left on the street and moved legaly as the insurance policy in his name was cancelled on his passing.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Sgoaty
Just Passed

Post by Sgoaty »

They are on 3 separate policies this worked out better/cheaper for me. Also its not my bike so I dont think the insurance companies would let me add it to my policies.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Better watch out with regard to the latest rules/laws regarding road tax, registered keeper, registered keepers insurance etc.

Now the road tax is a combination of the registered keeper and the vehicle.

As the deceased status will be registered with the government, there is a function to let other government departments know this status automatically without the next of kin informing all the departments, like the Driving Licence department.
If the driving licence is now invalid, it could be assumed that any insurance may be invalid.

Knowing what a thieving cheating bunch the Government departments and insurance companies can be, I could imagine the following:
If there is no insurance on the vehicle then there can be no road tax on the vehicle.
If the vehicle has no road tax, then no one can use or store the vehicle on the public road.

I have multi bike insurance with allows me to ride any bike (third party cover).
I am sure any bike I wish to ride must have road tax.

Before you add the bike to your insurance policy or assume you can ride any bike with your current insurance police, I suggest you find out if the bike has valid road tax.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:You have three bikes listed on your profile on here. If you already have a multi-bike insurance policy can you add it to your policy to make sure you are fully covered?

I had to do a similar thing with my father in law's car when he passed away until it was decided what was happening to the car. It meant that it could be left on the street and moved legaly as the insurance policy in his name was cancelled on his passing.

Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).

Did you have to register the car in your name and get road tax ?
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Even though you may be insured to ride another motorcycle third party through your own insurance that vehicle must still be covered as a named vehicle on another policy for it to be legal regardless of your own cover.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

When will the UK come around to adding insurance to road tax. Many countries around the world do this, meaning that if it's taxed, it's insured (for any driver). The insurance is third party only and you top up with fully comp if you wish. AT least if you get hit, there's a much better chance the other driver has insurance to cover your damages.

It's also much harder for people to drive around uninsured as the number plate gives them away straight away.
huffanpuff
Scary biscuits

Post by huffanpuff »

You can't have 2 policies one one bike
Sgoaty
Just Passed

Post by Sgoaty »

Even if it's not in my name?
Bubba13t
Direct Access

Post by Bubba13t »

ask a friendly bike shop if you could use their trade plates for a day, sort of road test?