Westhill BP petrol shop: Well done for listening to customers and updating their procedures...

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Westhill BP petrol shop: Well done for listening to customers and updating their procedures...

Post by Dave »

Westhill BP petrol shop: Well done for listening to customers and updating their procedures, as well as promising to communicate with their staff.

Yesterday I went to the BP Westhill petrol shop to gas up my bike.

At the pump, nozzle in tank, but no petrol flowed :confused
I used the trigger a few times, no fuel, replaced the nozzle into the pump housing, removed it, tried again, still no fuel :??? :confused

Then a member of staff appeared and said that they have been told not to switch the pump on is the rider is on the bike.
I asked that when I came in to pay I would like to speak to the owner or manager.

So I got off, put the bike on the centre stand, filled the bike up, paid for the fuel and had a pleasant chat with the manager.

The manager quoted BP recommendations about not authorising pumps when riders are sitting on the bike or if they have their helmet on, all in the name of safety.
Their staff had to sign a sheet to say they had read the procedures and recommendations etc.

So I mention a few things like:
# There should be clear signage at every fuel pump of any recommendations.
# Recommendations are not mandatory or legally binding, they are proposals for the best courses of action based on the information available at the time any recommendations are given.
# I often wear a helmet referred to as "flip lid", meaning that the chin guard component can be raised to reveal the riders face, which also allows clear communication without then need to remove the whole helmet. This also displays more of the riders face than people wearing a baseball cap and glasses.

I followed up with an email expanding on the conversation we had, containing some of the following:
# The reason I was sitting on the bike was to have the bike vertical and fuel tank sitting centrally, if the tank is not central, it cannot be filled to its capacity.
# A rider could always ask one of the filling station staff to hold the bike upright to allow the rider to fill the bike with petrol, but I fear this also would not be as safe or steady as the rider sitting on the bike, as well as occupying the time of the station staff, hopping they can hold the bike steady while a stranger is filling the tank with petrol.
# I offered to review the BP guidance they were supplied, to allow me to give a bikers view.
# I offered that he could forward my email to BP and they could discuss their recommendations with me.
# I recommended that the BP Recommendations should be clearly displayed, but not enforced, mentioning that if I (and others like me) cannot completely fill up their bikes fuel tank we will go somewhere where we can.
# I also mentioned that I strongly support local business, hence why I am here and not at the Tesco which I had to ride past to get to the BP filling station.

The manager replied promptly and asked me to call him or drop in past.

He said he contacted a couple of departments in BP, who said there are as many arguments for/against many of the recommendations they give, and the recommendations are not a legal requirement.

The manager then said he updated the garages procedures and check sheet, and that all his staff had to sign to say they had read it, hopefully ensuring the pumps will be activated if bikers are sitting on their bikes and/or have their helmets on.

Well done Westhill BP Service Station :2up :2up
Gypsum_Fantastic
Direct Access
Current Ride: Triumph Bonneville T100/ Matchless G12 (Project)

Re: Westhill BP petrol shop: Well done for listening to customers and updating their procedures...

Post by Gypsum_Fantastic »

Excellent work. Sounds like a sensible manager. Didn't know such thing existed.