General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Sgoaty
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda firestorm, ZZR1200, RC8R

Ebay discs Neverland-2012

Post by Sgoaty »

Hi

I just wanted to share my experience of buying cheap Chinese discs branded "Arashi"from ebay seller Neverland-2012 for my ZZR1200.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L-R-Front-Bra ... xy3cJTfsZO

I bought the discs back in October and they looked fine but after my first outing in the wet the pads stuck to them (EBC HH). I didn't think much about it at the time but now the brakes have started to squeak at low speeds and they have started to detract from the look of the bike. I emailed the seller who was very apologetic initially and offered to sell me another set at a substantial discount. I said Id rather they replaced them which they weren't willing to do I then asked how much discount he was offering he said $10 USD.

Below are the photos of the discs having covered all of 300 miles

Now I know some may say you get what you pay for but i have used similar Chinese discs on bikes in the past with absolutely no problems so I didn't see why this set would be any different.

Just wanted to share this in the hope of saving someone else getting caught out by this seller. I think i would perhaps try another set of Chinese discs but definitely not from this guy.

Cheers Scott
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Re: Ebay discs Neverland-2012

Post by Gazza »

Are they cast iron? Difficult to see from the pictures, but cast iron (which is a very effective brake material by the way) will rust.

If the bike is kept outside, then only regular use will prevent the build up of rust and eventual pitting.

If kept inside then a good trick is to give the brakes a bit of stick to get them nice and hot just before you put into the garage. That should cause them to dry off pretty quickly. Even so, long term storage in a damp garage will see rust.

All in, regular use is the best answer for rusty discs

Break squeal can be prevented with a drop of high temperature greaser (such as Copper Slip) behind the calipers. Be careful not to apply so much that it could get onto the disk itself.

Feckdeamon
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Tuono V4R

Post by Feckdeamon »

SBS HH pads used to stick to the standard discs on my KTM if I put it away wet. No sense jumping at the disc supplier.

Either lever the pads back or blast through the caliper with brake cleaner before putting the bike away.
Sgoaty
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda firestorm, ZZR1200, RC8R

Post by Sgoaty »

You're the second person who's said this to me. Ive used loads of ebc pads on loads of discs over the years and this is the only time I've had any problems. I'll be putting it away wet less over the summer so will see how it goes.
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Looks like it could just be sh!te (high carbon content) stainless steel to me. No idea why the pads look like they're chewing through them as I'm fairly sure EBC sintered pads use Copper fragments which are softer than any grade of steel. :confused

Regardless, the wear doesn't look like a major issue; it'll just means that the discs won't last as long and may well make funny noises as the surface will be wearing unevenly.

If I were you, I'd bin the HH pads and stick in a set of normal organic ones to see if that helps.

Failing that, stick with Brembo or BrakeTech discs next time - you'll get good prices from Carpimoto.com (Italian site with awesome customer service). :2up