Petition: Allow CBT riders to ride a 250cc age 21 years and above.

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Petition: Allow CBT riders to ride a 250cc age 21 years and above.

Post by Dave »

I think many of the laws regarding getting a bike licence are STUPID, especially considering a learner in a car can drive any power or size of car.
Someone has started a petition, which in my opinion is just nibbling at some of the issues.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128555

Text from the above link:
Allow CBT riders to ride a 250cc age 21 years and above.
Under current CBT laws you're limited to a 125.
125 bikes are simply under powered for today's roads.
This leads do many issues for CBT riders out on the roads. with today's traffic 125 bikes are simply not as safe. the average 125 learner legal bike reaches 60 mph.
Because 125cc bikes are under powered and increases risks, because they are slow car drivers tend to get aggressive and make dangerous moves such as tailgating.
While on a 125 in a 60/70 mph zone you are maxed out on a learner legal 125, so if something happens such as a car behind you is spinning out of control you do not have not power to pull away and avoid a collision
many other countries allow 250cc bikes on a learner licence
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Petition: Allow CBT riders to ride a 250cc age 21 years and above.

Post by al »

Tail gaiting is an attitude problem of car drivers. If you are sticking to the speed limit, regardless of what size of bike you are riding, car drivers drive right up your arse for some reason.

Larger capacity bikes will not change that.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

CBT is not a full licence, pass your test and the restriction does not apply.

Personally I would go the other way and restrict young car drivers to 1600cc until they are 25. Highest mortality group on the roads.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zathos wrote:CBT is not a full licence, pass your test and the restriction does not apply.

Personally I would go the other way and restrict young car drivers to 1600cc until they are 25. Highest mortality group on the roads.
Those mortalities probably happened in cars of less than 1600cc (insurance costs etc. tend to restrict that). Again, it is an attitude and behavioural issue.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Zathos wrote:CBT is not a full licence, pass your test and the restriction does not apply.
Once young riders pass their test, they are still restricted to a low powered bike, which in my opinion the power is far too low.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Dave wrote:
Once young riders pass their test, they are still restricted to a low powered bike, which in my opinion the power is far too low.
After a naked bike with 180bhp most things will seem underpowered!
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

I do kind of agree with what the petition is trying to say but it doesn't help that it's been drafted by a dyslexic child.

I'd be happy with 250cc as a capacity limit providing there was a requirement for mandatory additional training that aimed to make them smoother, safer, faster riders...

Problem is that the mandatory training would kind of defeat the purpose of the additional cc's as if you stick somebody half decent on a good 125 and let them loose on a twisty back road; it's pretty unlikely that they'll be any less safe that they would be on a 250. I also highly doubt they'd be holding up any cars (Zathos's aside). :deal
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

I reckon all young car drivers should be restricted from getting a licence until they're 25.

That should clear a few of the traffic queues in the morning. :2up
Myxomatosis
Baw Bag
Current Ride: ER6N + GROM

Post by Myxomatosis »

I think A1 licenses should be 250cc rather than CBT being put up. Least it would give a good reason to do the A1.