Tesco Westhill…no petrol unless you get off the bike

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Tesco Westhill…no petrol unless you get off the bike

Post by Dave »

This lunchtime the Tesco Westhill would not authorise the pump until I got off the bike.

The operator came out of the shop, told me “it is the law”.
I said I thought it might be a Tesco recommendation, but I am sure it is not the law, unless that has changed in the last week.
She repeated ”it is the law to get off the bike”.
I asked if she would like to hold my bike upright so I can fill the tank properly, but she was not keen, and again said I had to get off the bike because it is the law.
I suggested that she rereads the guidance to get her terms correct, and I am not after a discussion and not to worry I will just fill up at the BP round the corner.
She said it is the law to get off the bike, and I will have to get off the bike at the BP filling station.

I mentioned that I was aware of many legal requirements, and until last week getting off the bike was not one of them, and I have also have a couple nice discussions with BP garage and they modified their guidelines a few weeks ago in in line with our discussions, goodbye and have a nice day.
“You don’t need to go” she said.
I again mentioned she should get her terms correct, and I am now going to the BP filling station, have a nice day.

When I returned to the office I called the Tesco customer number 0800 505555, had a nice conversation with A Tesco rep, who had the Tesco recommendations at hand, agreed that it is not a legal requirement to get off the bike, they could understand my points of view and said the local staff have the authorising ability to activate the pump if they felt it was safe.
They said they would talk with Westhill store, and review their guidelines.
I said that I have been thru this recently with another filling station selling fuel from a major oil company, and that if Tesco wish I would be happy with further discussions or contributing to reviewing their guidelines and risk assessments etc.

I might have to give Tesco Westhill a call later to see if they have modified their guidelines.

By the way, I was wearing my flip up lid doing our conversation, and there was no mention of “helmet off”
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Re: Tesco Westhill…no petrol unless you get off the bike

Post by Coully »

i use the pay at pump and have never been required to get off the bike
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Good work, using the system to fight the uneducated who try to use the system to further their own ignorance.

Anyone would think you had experience in this area ;)
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Coully wrote:i use the pay at pump and have never been required to get off the bike

I had to go into the shop anywsy to get lunch
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

Filled up 4 times Sunday - Tuesday and was only "stopped" on the 4th visit just as I finished filling. Got the "it's the law" speech, I politely disagreed and said it's Tesco procedure....."same difference" came the reply.

I had my fuel and had paid so left.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk