Ledmore junction...the barsteward...

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Have you ever misjudged Ledmore junction when heading south?

No, I always make the turnoff for Ullapool.
57%
Yes, but managed to brake in time for the junction.
29%
Yes, once I have gone straight ahead.
No votes
Yes, I have missed it a few times but sometimes also managed to brake and make the turn.
14%
Feking hate that junction and miss the turnoff all the time.
No votes

Total votes: 7

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Ledmore junction...the barsteward...

Post by Dave »

If you don’t understand the post title, better not bother reading the rest of this post :biggrin2

So fellow bikers, when heading south to Ullapool who has gone straight ahead (or almost) at Ledmore junction ?

Yes there are lots of sign posts before the junction indicating that Ullapool is on the right, but have you even not bothered looking at them because you are too busy looking at the road and for hazards.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Re: Ledmore junction...the barsteward...

Post by Dave »

Normally when I am heading south, I know that Ledmore junction is there, just waiting to catch the numpties out, so I know I am heading south to Ullapool I get into the habit of thinking about that Junction and get prepared for it.
That forward thinking/planning works great...when thinking and planning.

This week I was on an unplanned run, no real destinations or timing...apart from when in Lochinver we arranged to meet someone south of Loch Broom and we were running out of daylight.
So we took the A837 out of Lochinver, a very fine road, long sweeping bends, great visibility, dry road surface, I am not sure I used the brakes ...until that junction with the A835...Ledmore Junction...as passed the sign saying "Ledmore" and thought "THE BARSTEWARD" as I gently applied the anchors and quickly knowing that I am not making that turn with a pillion on board, so rolled off the brakes to let the momentum carry us to the gravel patch to do a u-turn...again...the barsteward :log :log :log
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

I am surprised that only four people have vivid enough memories of that junction to make comment.

You all need to do more west coast runs !
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

I was a little surprised by your post as I have taken that route and never had an issue. When I travelled that route again on Saturday, I counted no less than four signs before the junction.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

missile wrote:I was a little surprised by your post as I have taken that route and never had an issue. When I travelled that route again on Saturday, I counted no less than four signs before the junction.
A fair response if you have no satnav, no pillion that knows where you are going and can alert you, or when driving a cage.

When answering my question I was thinking of a biker without satnav travelling in a safe but progressive style (up to 60 mph that is, going by the highway code  ) and not having researched or pre-programmed their brain before the trip, just thinking of the "Ullapool road" was the main road and not expecting a right turn at a junction off that main drag which has a very long straight clear view ahead (aye, with a sign posted junction).

I have done that road in the southerly direction.

Most of the time I know I will be heading that way and I am prepared for it, and turn without issues.

The other day that route was a "just made it up as I go" and was too busy looking out for any hazards anywhere, the "red triangle sign" was only another warning, to compute that that loving junction was the one I should take'
?

Just before that junction I realised the need for the "right turn" and I rolled off the gas, gently applied the anchors...but as I had a pillion and was on a bike I was unaccustomed to, the residual speed was such that my call was to go straight on then do a u-turn...again at the field entrance that I know all too well...the barsteward, again.

I do love that road, and probably that road has the best memories I have of any road i have travelled, riding it very early morning, no traffic or signs of human movement, just great