Night riding…especially in traffic.

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Night riding…especially in traffic.

Post by Dave »

For the last couple of weeks I have been driving a cage as my winter bike was captive behind a friends bed and dining room chairs being temporary stored in my garage.
A wee bit of reorganisation fixed that on Sunday so I could get my bike out !!

I have been in the bike all this week, grrrrreat.

With the clocks jumping back an hour, forcing the majority of rush hour traffic to be on the road during darkness, this has reminded me of the need for us bikers to make extra sure we can be seen.

Beads of water on the bonnet, windows and external mirrors can act like lenses giving a driver many more spots of light to distract them.
This can hide a motorbike or pushbike when filtering thru the traffic.

Windows misted up, which is common on trucks, vans, all Landrovers of all ages…well this is not good for us vulnerable road users.
I don’t find HGVs an issue, proper professionals of the road.

Some tips:
Don’t trust any other road user, assume the feckers are out to maim you.
Make sure your lights and indicators are working and are clean.
Although not the best fashion statements, bright reflective clothing increases your chance of being seen.
Clean the reflectors on your bike, consider adding reflective stickers to the likes of hard luggage or your bike.
I have seen reflective armbands wrapped around the handles of soft luggage, engine bars, pillion grip handles…lots of places, good idea !
Clean your light, mirrors, reflectors…the get dirty almost every trip.

Don’t forget the majority of car, van, pickup and taxi drivers are too busy in their mobile living room, fafing about with their heating, phone, radio, media player…snacking in their cage before getting their evening meal, drinking their coffee etc…to be considerate or aware of other road users, especially bikes.

DON’T trust or assume anything .

And enjoy your ride :2up