Italian Engineering !

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Italian Engineering !

Post by Russ »

I have had a pair of Givi E41 Panniers for a good few years and although they are good, the small top lid has a combination lock which, in theory, means you don't have to open the full pannier to get little bits out of the top. However one of their problems (apparantly reported a lot) is that the combination resets itself on its own so you cant open it. I've never bothered but out of interest I emailed Givi to ask how I could replace it but it seems unless it is unlocked you can't replace it without the following delicate operation, quoted from Givi !!

If the opening lids are closed, it will be necessary to farce open the existing combination locks; we recommend using a wide, flat screwdriver, place it on the red button of the lock and hit it with a hammer (in the direction in which the button would normally be pressed). Once broken through, the button will raise the lock and you will need to unscrew the screw that secures it to the opening lid.

So, the answer is to smack it with a hammer !!

Think I'll leave it !
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Italian Engineering !

Post by al »

It is possible that one or more of the number wheels has changed its setting to the next number (either up or down).

Have you tried setting the combination to what you set it to then try altering each digit up and down by one until you have tried all the options. I.e. if you combination is 555, try 455, 545, 554, 445, etc all the way to 666.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Re: Italian Engineering !

Post by Russ »

Yeah did all that, in fact some guys try all 1000 combinations without success.
The other issue is that even if you do get the right one, it apparently resets itself again randomly in the future, seems to be an ongoing problem.
I'll just leave them locked !!