Moderators: al, Administrator

al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

New Police campaign in Scotland

Post by al »

From Motorcycle News - http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017 ... -scotland/
Cops out to offer safety tips on the road

Planning a touring trip around Scotland to boost your #ride5000miles tally? Well, look out for local police who will be out and about on the roads offering riding advice in a bid to cut accident rates.

As part of the campaign, Police Scotland will be running seven ‘weekends of action,’ which will see officers engaging with road users and imparting help and advice.

The campaign was launched by the Scottish Transport Minister Humza Yousaf, who is focused on improving rider safety, especially to those returning to motorcycling.

He said “As a keen biker myself I understand the enjoyment and thrill of riding a motorcycle, however I am also very aware of the associated risks. Many motorcyclists will be preparing to get back out on the road this weekend to experience some of the great rides and scenery Scotland has to offer.

“We don’t want to take away the enjoyment of motorcycling, but the consequences of riding carelessly or dangerously can be devastating. We would encourage motorcyclists to keep safe throughout the season, ride appropriately for the conditions, and be particularly careful when overtaking or negotiating left-hand bends.”

Part of their focus will be to help riders ensure that their bikes are properly maintained, especially after a lot of motorcycles will have spent a lot of winter in the garage.

Officers will also be offering advice to riders on riding skills and techniques which may be rusty if they are coming back to motorcycling after not riding all winter.

Andy Edmonston, Head of Road Policing at Police Scotland, said “Motorcycling in Scotland is a fantastic and enjoyable experience. Riders should remember, however, that they are more vulnerable than many other road users and, therefore, errors they make or risks they take often lead to serious consequences both for themselves and others.

“Although motorcyclists make up around one per cent of the motoring public, they account for around 16 per cent of those who die on Scottish roads. Many of the fatalities and serious injuries we deal with occur during cornering or overtaking manoeuvres.

Though the campaign is aimed at helping and advising riders on better riding, the law will still be enforced and the statement on their press release reads that officers “will not hesitate to pull over anyone who is driving in an irresponsible, anti-social, erratic or illegal manner to keep road users as safe as possible”.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: New Police campaign in Scotland

Post by Dave »

That's nice of them to offer riding advice !

I wonder if they are also looking to fund their party funds? ??
Hagar
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBF 1000GT

Post by Hagar »

Dave wrote:That's nice of them to offer riding advice !

Pity they stopped Bike safe if its advice they want to be giving
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Hagar wrote:
Dave wrote:That's nice of them to offer riding advice !

Pity they stopped Bike safe if its advice they want to be giving
What he said
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Agreed :2up

This is just another badgering bikers campaign :roll