General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Brake squeal and copper grease

Post by Quicksilver »

I've just put some copper grease on the back of the pads on my F800R as they were squealing a bit at low speeds when used gently. Always done this in the past with no issues but have heard a rumour that you shouldn't do this on bikes with ABS. I'm not sure if this is a thing or why it's the case - anyone know about this and what do you use instead?
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Re: Brake squeal and copper grease

Post by RK6 »

Clicky linky

Can't see how copper slip would do any damage but that site seems to recommend a different compound for bikes with ABS.

Whatever you do, just remember that less is more. The last thing you want is copper slip or similar coming into contact with the friction material. :2up
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Quicksilver wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 2:13 pm I've just put some copper grease on the back of the pads on my F800R as they were squealing a bit at low speeds when used gently. Always done this in the past with no issues but have heard a rumour that you shouldn't do this on bikes with ABS. I'm not sure if this is a thing or why it's the case - anyone know about this and what do you use instead?
The rumor is bollocks.

When you had the pads out did you remember to clean your pistons and make sure the sliders (if they are sliding calipers) were free to move?

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Post by Quicksilver »

RK6 wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 2:57 pm Clicky linky
Useful site that, have bookmarked for future reference.

Good to hear others think copper grease is still fine to use. Didn't seem to make sense that ABS would make any difference.
Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 7:36 pm
When you had the pads out did you remember to clean your pistons and make sure the sliders (if they are sliding calipers) were free to move?
Yup, gave everything a good clean before reassembling. Happy to report they're working perfectly and squeal free. :2up