Speed Cameras

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Speed Cameras

Post by al »

Today was the first time I have been down the A90 for a while. I noticed that the fixed speed cameras between Stonehaven and Dundee are being "upgraded" to average speed cameras. They don't appear to be fully operational at the moment but that is just a matter of time.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: Speed Cameras

Post by Dave »

That is just not fair and not fun
Zzzz
Baw Bag

Post by Zzzz »

I'm not so sure that the ones in Angus are not working already.

Some gantries have only one camera fitted so I'm not sure if that covers two lanes or just one. All of the cameras are poining at the rear of vehicles (unlike most of those on the A9.)

What is happening though that as drivers are unsure, some brake when they see them and others simply zoom through - potentially causing accidents - beware.

The other thing is, that as I am a reasonably regular user of the route, I shall take the coast road instead - it may not be quicker but it is more fun - and rounds off the tyres.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Sadly what ever you say about them ave speed cameras work (in terms of reducing speed over the road covered). Therefore they are a fact of life.

Personally I am all for more focus on ave speed cameras and I think all future speed management investment should be focused in this highly beneficial area.

If needed we should divert funds from mobile units to accelerate the rollout ;)
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Zathos wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:40 pm If needed we should divert funds from mobile units to accelerate the rollout ;)
A rare event, Zathos has a good idea :biggrin2

Speed cameras to be on motorways and trunk duel carriageways only
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Dave wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:29 am
Zathos wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:40 pm If needed we should divert funds from mobile units to accelerate the rollout ;)
A rare event, Zathos has a good idea :biggrin2

Speed cameras to be on motorways and trunk duel carriageways only
"Dual" :deal
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Zathos wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:40 pm Sadly what ever you say about them ave speed cameras work (in terms of reducing speed over the road covered). Therefore they are a fact of life.

Personally I am all for more focus on ave speed cameras and I think all future speed management investment should be focused in this highly beneficial area.

If needed we should divert funds from mobile units to accelerate the rollout ;)

Agreed, they work at reducing speed, but they're probably not great revenue earners. So I wouldn't expect the mobile ones to disappear yet.
dukeofpork
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ducati 996

Post by dukeofpork »

I have never actually heard of anyone I know getting a ticket from the average speed cameras.
Would be very interested to know how exactly they are set up... Do they all work together to calculate your speed or is it only in pairs???
I have been south of Glasgow near prestwick where there are roundabouts between the cameras where technically the speed limit is still 70 so you would have to be flying to get caught between the cameras either side of it.

I regularly drive between Perth and Stirling and set my cruise control at 77 and have had no issues.
Other motorists however seem to think that driving at 60 is the way to go.

Can't argue that they change drivers behaviour though!
D3LS M
Late Braker

Post by D3LS M »

dukeofpork wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm I have never actually heard of anyone I know getting a ticket from the average speed cameras.
I said exactly the same on a trip to Glasgow airport last week with a couple of mates, one of them in the back spoke up and said he'd been done a few weeks back with average speed cams.. :roll
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

It's only a matter of time before your SatNav (which will be compulsory) will send transgressions to the authorities. Your ticket will be emailed straight to your phone.

More revenue, less cost. Simples.

After a bit of time, the revenue will drop off and they'll nail you for unsafe driving etc as reported by the radar system in your car.

And so on...

Eventually we'll all be in autonomous vehicles ad they'll save billions by not having to build new roads to accommodate the evermore increase of useless human drivers.
dukeofpork
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ducati 996

Post by dukeofpork »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40998946

Another depressing development..... :roll
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

dukeofpork wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm I have never actually heard of anyone I know getting a ticket from the average speed cameras.
I think that probably shows exactly how effective they are.
dukeofpork wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm I regularly drive between Perth and Stirling and set my cruise control at 77 and have had no issues.
Other motorists however seem to think that driving at 60 is the way to go.
77mph on your cruise control is quite likely slower than that. Most vehicles have a speedo that reads high. I always adjust my cruise control to the speed on my SatNav, which is accurate. I generally find myself going quite a bit faster than the rest of the traffic.