Sore wrist

McWullie
Armchair Biker
Current Ride: Santa Cruz Chameleon
Location: running away from Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)

Sore wrist

Post by McWullie »

Oh so many Jokes are going to follow about this one!! So to all of you with the bad minds :flippa

OK when I'm riding (My Bike) I seem to be putting a lot of pressure on my left wrist so even after short journeys my wrist gets sore. When I remember about it & take the weight off it not a problem till I go round the next sharp bend then starts over again!! On long journeys this is worse as by the end of a 5hr trip I can hardly pull in the clutch.

Anyone else had problems like this & how did you fix/stop it??
Bydand
Beano Club

Re: Sore wrist

Post by Bydand »

get yourself one of these :arse
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/neon-pow ... index.html
great for building up the muscle in the forearm and wrists :2up I used to have the same problem when I had my VFR and using this wee cadget worked for me :biggrin2
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Bydand wrote:get yourself one of these :arse
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/neon-pow ... index.html
great for building up the muscle in the forearm and wrists :2up I used to have the same problem when I had my VFR and using this wee cadget worked for me :biggrin2
Save your money and start w@nking with your left hand. ;)
Lynners
Pump up the volume
Current Ride: '09 K2 Fling

Post by Lynners »

I find this thread offensive :nono
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

It is not your wrists you need to build up but your abs you need to work on. That will help support your back better and take the weight off your wrists.

Also, on longer journeys you will probably notice a difference having got rid of that double bubble screen. At higher cruising speeds the airflow will now be lower so should help support your upper torso.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Lynners
Pump up the volume

Post by Lynners »

Keith might help you too, he showed me how to make the bike feel so light round the bends instead of having to fight it and in turn get sore bits. Maybe it's your riding technique :arse
zx6r
Direct Access
Current Ride: Bimota SB 8 R

Post by zx6r »

Sounds like you are not leaning it over enough in the corners. How big are your chicken strips?
Lynners
Pump up the volume

Post by Lynners »

zx6r wrote:Sounds like you are not leaning it over enough in the corners. How big are your chicken strips?
Oh christ, don't start that again :log
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

Lynners wrote:Keith might help you too, he showed me how to make the bike feel so light round the bends instead of having to fight it and in turn get sore bits. Maybe it's your riding technique :arse
Allan

Lynners could have a point here - it could all be down to your throttle control.

To see what difference throttle controls makes, ride along a quiet straight and shut off the throttle, then move from one side of the road to the other. You should find the bike is slow to turn.

Now do the same again but maintaining a positive throttle (not accelerating, just keeping a constant throttle). You'll find the steering is a lot lighter and will change direction more quickly.
McWullie
Armchair Biker
Current Ride: Santa Cruz Chameleon
Location: running away from Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)

Post by McWullie »

Thanks for all the replies I have about 1/2" on each side of my rear tyre but larger strips on the front!!

I am quite new to riding so it Prob is my technique & this is the first bike I have owned that you have to lean over the tank rather than sit straight.

I do need to sort out some lessons with Keith but looks like it wont be till after the wedding!!

Thanks Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) but this is also happening just coming into work!

Cheers Grant will try it!! :2up
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

McWullie wrote:but looks like it wont be till after the wedding!!
Your wrist strength will definetly improve after that!! :log
Lynners
Pump up the volume

Post by Lynners »

Grant wrote: Allan

Lynners could have a point here - .
Wow that is a first, i must have said something sensible :worthy

Vodka levels must be too low..must drink more :boozer
Sherpa
Chopper

Post by Sherpa »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
McWullie wrote:but looks like it wont be till after the wedding!!
Your wrist strength will definetly improve after that!! :log

:log :log :log :log

Your humour is up to scratch even if your spelling isn't.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Grant wrote:
Lynners wrote:Keith might help you too, he showed me how to make the bike feel so light round the bends instead of having to fight it and in turn get sore bits. Maybe it's your riding technique :arse
Allan

Lynners could have a point here - it could all be down to your throttle control.

To see what difference throttle controls makes, ride along a quiet straight and shut off the throttle, then move from one side of the road to the other. You should find the bike is slow to turn.

Now do the same again but maintaining a positive throttle (not accelerating, just keeping a constant throttle). You'll find the steering is a lot lighter and will change direction more quickly.
I love a good game of Chinese whispers!!
oollit
Direct Access
Current Ride: RF900R, SS50

Post by oollit »

Make sure that your clutch lever is not too high.
I had the same problem riding the FZR for extended runs and it turned out to be the clutch lever was too high and i was having to ride with my wrist bent back at an odd angle to operate the clutch. I adjusted the angle of the lever so that it was in line with my arm and the problem went away.
Might be worth checking.
teamemmenracing
The Real Slim Shady
Current Ride: R 6..... errrr another R 6 and XJR1300

Post by teamemmenracing »

clutch lever is a good idea .......
other one is riding position ... idea is to have no weight at all on your wrists, try finding a position where your supported entirely by bum, feet, knees, tank ........ elbows should be well bent, not straight. If you can do that, you may find that the bike steers a lot sharper as well ........

what do I know anyway ...... just an idea
johncat68
Tube steak
Current Ride: 2012 zzr1400

Post by johncat68 »

zx6r wrote:Sounds like you are not leaning it over enough in the corners. How big are your chicken strips?

look at some riding tips on you tube
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

teamemmenracing wrote:clutch lever is a good idea .......
:stupid

try angling the leaver down a little.

Or don't use the clutch.

Could also be a few other things, but mostly I guess the important things is to feel physically relaxed. Like your belly... think like that for your wrist... it's all in the mind ;)
SugR1
Baw Bag
Current Ride: R1, xj900 ttr600

Post by SugR1 »

all good addvice if you lent over the tank you my need to pick up the pace a bitt so the wind takes your wait off your ristes. also if you brake aporching bends rather than changing down. try changing down more and bracking less : :eye
BreadMurderer
Omelette du fromage
Current Ride: Yamaha Fazer 600

Post by BreadMurderer »

swampy wrote:Or don't use the clutch.
See now that just freaks me out.

A few people have told me its ok not to use the clutch when going up gears but to use it when going down. I just don't feel comfortable doing that! I feel that the clutch is there for a reason and I should use it.

So can someone explain to me why its ok to do so?
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

I always use the clutch. My gears get a hard enough time without me adding to their woes and not using the clutch/ Not to mention the damage you can end up doing to the grear selector mechanism if you don't get the timing right!

Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

Clutchless is OK if you get it right, and at the right times. I do use the clutch going up when riding slowly and in town. When getting a move on, and higher in the revs a couple of mm off-throttle and a toe forward results in a quick, smoth and positive change.

It works for me and I know that it has the potential to wear the selector ?guides? but I've never had a problem. Then again I don't tend to keep my bikes very long.

This is my take on it, I'm sure someone will have a different view.
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

Like Swampy, riding in town I always use the clutch to shift up.

When going slightly quicker I clutchless shift up most of the time. I tend to avoid clutchless shifting from 1st to 2nd as I find it too jerky.

Give it a try! If you keep an upward pressure on the gear linkage, when you start to roll off the throttle it will shift up a gear very smoothly allowing you to get back on the throttle.
Graeme
International Man of Mystery
Current Ride: GSX-R750

Post by Graeme »

swampy wrote:It works for me and I know that it has the potential to wear the selector ?guides? but I've never had a problem. Then again I don't tend to keep my bikes very long.
Remind me never to buy a used bike from this man :P
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

I'll stick with the clutch as it give me a chance to match the revs during shifts.

P.S. slipper clutches are for gurls ........ discuss! :arse