Left or Right

Lynners
Pump up the volume
Current Ride: '09 K2 Fling

Left or Right

Post by Lynners »

This month's article from California Superbike School looks at how a fear induced Survival Reaction may be hampering your riding.

It seems that every rider on the planet has a good side and a not so good side when cornering. Some of us prefer rights, others lefts. We often get asked at the seminars and CSS courses - what is the ‘cure’ for one side or the other?
The reasons for having one side better than the other isn’t because you are left or right-handed. It isn’t because one side of your brain is bigger than the other. It’s because at some point in your riding you had an incident that, at a sub conscious level, has given you a fear induced Survival Reaction to that side. Maybe you had a crash on that side; maybe it was on your pushbike when you were seven years old. Maybe you had a bad experience trying to turn one way when you were learning to ride. The incidents that could create this reaction are numerous and far reaching.

The results of your ‘fear’ of one side or the other can create a couple of tangible results:

We try and keep our body and head more upright on the weaker side than on the strong side. This in effect makes us a bad passenger on the bike and the bike reacts to this. Liken it if you will to the difference between the good and bad pillion rider. One goes with the bike, the other tries to stay upright.

We don’t steer as well on the weaker side. We steer slower on our weaker side giving us a different arc through the turn than we would like and therefore not getting to the place we would like to be at the apex or exit of the turn.

Thankfully we can do something about this as we understand the Survival Reactions associated with a weaker side. You are either not at one (going with) the bike in the first case or not steering the bike because of stiff arms in the second.

The Cures: First you need to identify which of or both of the problems you have with your weaker side.

Solution 1. Relax your inside arm. Get some bend into that inside arm so that, in turn, it will bring your upper body forward and in line with the bike.

Solution 2. To steer the bike well on both sides you need to be pushing through the bars not down on the bars. This means you need to get your arms parallel to the ground when you steer. This is the most efficient way of getting the bike to turn. Make sure your arms are in the same position for left AND right turns.
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Re: Left or Right

Post by Quicksilver »

I find I'm quicker and more confident round right handers. I think it's because I'm aware that if I do come off I'd prefer to slide off into a relativly comfy field rather than a juggernaught coming the other way if I slide off on a left hander. Going to try the cures suggested but I think my lack of confidence in left handers is still going to hold me back a little.

Anyone else seem to prefer right handers... who's that tittering at the back! ;)
Lynners
Pump up the volume

Post by Lynners »

I can get my knee down on right handers, I rule :freebird
metallninja
Big Nose
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by metallninja »

Lynners wrote:I can get my knee down on right handers, I rule :freebird

Just a shame your knee was followed by your shoulder and Gixxer :oops
teamemmenracing
The Real Slim Shady
Current Ride: R 6..... errrr another R 6 and XJR1300

Post by teamemmenracing »

I can get my knee down on right handers, I rule :freebird

Im better than you ...... I can fall off on both sides ...... :log
Lynners
Pump up the volume

Post by Lynners »

Whatever :boozer
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

i can get my head down on right handers.....
:2up right over the bars followed by a summersault and a triple toe loop into a peat bog in dunnet :log :2up
Lynners
Pump up the volume

Post by Lynners »

I got my left knee down today, even have the marks on my sliders to prove it!!! :2up
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Lynners wrote:I got my left knee down today, even have the marks on my sliders to prove it!!! :2up
What childrens playgrounds still have concrete round the roundabouts in Aberdeen these days??
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Quicksilver wrote:I find I'm quicker and more confident round right handers. I think it's because I'm aware that if I do come off I'd prefer to slide off into a relativly comfy field rather than a juggernaught coming the other way if I slide off on a left hander. Going to try the cures suggested but I think my lack of confidence in left handers is still going to hold me back a little.

Anyone else seem to prefer right handers... who's that tittering at the back! ;)
Agreed. Not that I think I'm better at right handers, I just feel safer.
Lynners
Pump up the volume

Post by Lynners »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
Lynners wrote:I got my left knee down today, even have the marks on my sliders to prove it!!! :2up
What childrens playgrounds still have concrete round the roundabouts in Aberdeen these days??
Bike heads slowly coming back cos this gave me a laugh. you couldn't be closer to the truth hahahah
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

I thought I preferred left hand corners, but looking at my new back tyre, more of the knobbly rubber bits are gone from the right side than the left.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

CXP wrote:I thought I preferred left hand corners, but looking at my new back tyre, more of the knobbly rubber bits are gone from the right side than the left.
That just means you are transferring your weight more in left handers. On right handers you tend to stay more upright on the bike so have to lean it more even though you are less confident.

I get the exact same thing on my tyres as I prefer left handers.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
shortassrider
Chopper
Current Ride: Honda cb650 Custom :-) Yamaha FZR 600 Honda 250 superdream

Post by shortassrider »

I struggle to get my right knee down , when i do ,i cant get up again. oh ,do you lot meen on yer bikes , ok forget i said what i said :oops