Odd cambers

rasmie
Direct Access
Current Ride: Street Triple

Odd cambers

Post by rasmie »

Between Echt and the Torphins road there is an S bend on the hill after a reasonably long staight. Going up the hill the bike always feels really solid as if I'm driving into the road and I'm quite happy taking it at pace (for me anyway). In the other direction, however, I have this suspicion that the road is going away from the wheels and grip is reduced, consequently I tend to pussyfoot my way round it. Another example is the A96 dualler heading downhill into Blackburn from the tyrebagger which to me never feels right.

Is this loss of grip in my head or does the sloping camber actually influence handling/grip in anyway?

(Naturally there is option c which is I'd never go fast enough for the road to make any difference :log)

R
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Re: Odd cambers

Post by IZINBARD »

:confused Not sure where you are, but it sounds like the switchback from Echt to the Raymoyar (sp) road B977 and depending on which direction it could be either of 2 downhill S bends, If this is the right bit of road then it is in your head, ;)

Couple of great corners form either direction, have to watch out for dog walkers at the top by the woods though as car parking is on the other side of the road from paths into woods and lots of owners don't have their dogies on the lead.
rasmie
Direct Access

Post by rasmie »

Yep right road. Its the first switchback on the Echt side; thought it would be just headology.

Do it every am so very familiar with the dog walkers!

Cheers
IZINBARD
Mr Angry

Post by IZINBARD »

Go deep, and turn in late, start slow and work up to a better pace, all braking in a straight line.

It is a bit of a blind bend coming from the top down towards Echt so not advisable to be running down the white line, this may be why you find it a bit of a funny corner, your are probably taking the right/correct safe road position which is also reducing your visibility and ability to see through the corner,

lot of poo going on in yer head in this one, road position, wildlife, cars on the wrong side of the road!, road condition on the bit you can't see, the next corner which ties into this one, the f a c t that it is just a wee bit off camber from this direction, the weather, plus all the other stuff going on.
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

I was feeling the same thing on a run last week with dedpigeon was happily attackin bends except the down hills I knew I was doing it but was having an off day and couldn't help it, to me it was a loss in confidence of front end grip.
When on the up hill you can get on the power thus loading up the rear tyre and increasing the turn in gyroscopic effect, when on the down hill though, your backing off in your head, this leads to backing off the throttle and loading up the front end, whilst also making the bike want to sit up, add to this an adverse camber and it can lead to disaster.
Best thing to do in this instance for me is just back off the pace a little, don't attack the bend make sure you've done your breaking before turning in and get on the power even if its just a steady throttle, practice on the corner if its bugging you till you get the confidence back.

Works for me at any rate ;)
rasmie
Direct Access

Post by rasmie »

I think there is also a feeling that the road is disappearing underneath me on the 2nd bend downhill. Normally the road is coming up towards you as the bike leans. Also the slopes tend to make the soft forks on the SV dive a bit more. Generally I slow up and just take the 2 bends nice and easy.

Thanks for the comments/advice; appreciated.
IZINBARD
Mr Angry

Post by IZINBARD »

Not pointed at you rasmie but to all.

Gerry makes a good point about having an off day, sometimes it does not come together, recognising this is the best way to avoid an off, especially if riding with others. If this happens just back off and preferably go home (You will live longer) or just go for a wee pootle on yer own.