Hanging off on the road (debate)

User avatar
acebobby
Scary biscuits
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:11 pm
Current Ride: S1000RR (Road bike)
CBR600RR (Track Bike)

Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by acebobby » Mon May 17, 2010 9:19 am

One for the trackday guys,

Do you think its ok to hang off on the road?

Does it just make you look like a tit to other road users?

Any other opinions!

User avatar
jbrebel
2lb Black Ribbed Knobler
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:59 pm
Current Ride: The light fantastic
Location: Winter Wonderland

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by jbrebel » Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 am

Totally pointless IMHO. I've seen people concentrate more on trying to hang off and end up going slower as a result.

The road is a completely different environment to the track. I spend my time working on road positioning and improving my observational skills which is of greater benefit to me.

Just my 2c worth :hippy

User avatar
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:00 am
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke
Location: Sconny Botland

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Gazza » Mon May 17, 2010 10:19 am

Yes it does make you look like a tit.

I almost never do it, but on the occasions I have, I must admit I've felt a both quicker and safer. I frequently stick a knee out without moving my arse as it reduces the required lean angle a bit. Very useful when trying to make quick progress in the wet.

Important not to do it through blind bends as you will actually reduce your field of vision by bringing the vanishing point nearer.

User avatar
al
Mass Debater
Posts: 5004
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:00 am
Current Ride: Space Hopper
Location: Uranus
Contact:

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by al » Mon May 17, 2010 10:41 am

I shift my weight around on the bike but more so I can brace my outer leg and keep the outer peg weighted up rather than any knee down shenanigans. Going by the photo's I've seen of my on track days you would hardly notice this to observe me riding.

Hanging off the bike as you see in the magazines will only end in tears and is completely unnecessary on the road. Those who I have observed doing this have inevitably ended up coming a cropper for one reason or another. To other road users it looks wild and as it you are riding on the limit, even when you are still within the speed limits. If the police spot you with the knee on the deck they will throw the book at you. As far as getting your knee down on the road is concerned, you need to be pretty sure of the road surface if you want to do it. How many race tracks have you seen with pot holes, man hole covers, changes in road surfaces, etc. mid corner ready to catch your slider?

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).

User avatar
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Posts: 3289
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:46 pm
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R
Location: Everywhere & Nowhere

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Zathos » Mon May 17, 2010 10:45 am

No need on the road.

Take a ride with Keith Henderson or the bikesafe guys and see just how quick a big tourer can hustle in the right hands. If you are going so fast that you need to lean off to make the corner, chances are you wont make it :(

User avatar
D3LS M
Late Braker
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:06 am
Location: Location Location

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by D3LS M » Mon May 17, 2010 11:57 am

acebobby wrote: Do you think its ok to hang off on the road?

Does it just make you look like a tit to other road users?

!

No

Yes

I've done hunners of TD's and know the benefits of it on the track, but since I got a Tuono for the road I see people hanging off now and ofted ride round the outside of them as they are holding me the f*ck up, looks stoopid and pointless....all of that is of course...IMO only ;)

User avatar
acebobby
Scary biscuits
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:11 pm
Current Ride: S1000RR (Road bike)
CBR600RR (Track Bike)

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by acebobby » Mon May 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Zathos wrote:No need on the road.

Take a ride with Keith Henderson or the bikesafe guys and see just how quick a big tourer can hustle in the right hands. If you are going so fast that you need to lean off to make the corner, chances are you wont make it :(
Ok, the thing is I dont hang off on the road, just wondering what people thought, and I have no doubt about how fast a well riden tourer can be riden, my dad rides an FJR and is always embarrassing blades, R1s etc!

User avatar
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:07 pm
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Big Little Dave » Mon May 17, 2010 6:11 pm

acebobby wrote:
Zathos wrote:No need on the road.

Take a ride with Keith Henderson or the bikesafe guys and see just how quick a big tourer can hustle in the right hands. If you are going so fast that you need to lean off to make the corner, chances are you wont make it :(
Ok, the thing is I dont hang off on the road, just wondering what people thought, and I have no doubt about how fast a well riden tourer can be riden, my dad rides an FJR and is always embarrassing blades, R1s etc!
Sounds like our dads have somethin in common :log

User avatar
metallninja
Big Nose
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 3:52 pm
Current Ride: CB1000R
Location: Sheepless

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by metallninja » Mon May 17, 2010 7:18 pm

I damn near always hang off on a sports bike.

Just the way I learnt to ride, None of my pals had bikes so I watched the "Fast bikes" videos. I blame that Shakey Byrne chap. I feel safer and more confident hanging off. In my case it's "just what you are used to". I'm not talking knee down poo here. I dont do it coz I think it looks cool either (apparently it doesn't).

Tuppence

User avatar
D3LS M
Late Braker
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:06 am
Location: Location Location

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by D3LS M » Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 am

metallninja wrote:I damn near always hang off on a sports bike.

Just the way I learnt to ride, None of my pals had bikes so I watched the "Fast bikes" videos. I blame that Shakey Byrne chap. I feel safer and more confident hanging off. In my case it's "just what you are used to". I'm not talking knee down poo here. I dont do it coz I think it looks cool either (apparently it doesn't).

Tuppence

Hanging off is all fine and well on the road if yer going fast, but if yer hanging off and holding people up on the corners, you will look a tit HTH :2up

User avatar
al
Mass Debater
Posts: 5004
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:00 am
Current Ride: Space Hopper
Location: Uranus
Contact:

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by al » Tue May 18, 2010 5:04 pm

metallninja wrote:I damn near always hang off on a sports bike.

Just the way I learnt to ride, None of my pals had bikes so I watched the "Fast bikes" videos. I blame that Shakey Byrne chap. I feel safer and more confident hanging off. In my case it's "just what you are used to". I'm not talking knee down poo here. I dont do it coz I think it looks cool either (apparently it doesn't).

Tuppence
Looks even better with gloves!

User avatar
metallninja
Big Nose
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 3:52 pm
Current Ride: CB1000R
Location: Sheepless

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by metallninja » Tue May 18, 2010 5:36 pm

R2D2 wrote:Hanging off is all fine and well on the road if yer going fast, but if yer hanging off and holding people up on the corners, you will look a tit HTH :2up
I quite agree! Whilst certainly not the fastest out there, I wouldn't say I hold many people up :???

User avatar
al
Mass Debater
Posts: 5004
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:00 am
Current Ride: Space Hopper
Location: Uranus
Contact:

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by al » Tue May 18, 2010 6:44 pm

metallninja wrote:
R2D2 wrote:Hanging off is all fine and well on the road if yer going fast, but if yer hanging off and holding people up on the corners, you will look a tit HTH :2up
I wouldn't say I hold many people up :???
I guess I know who not to have around when I'm pished !! :boozer

User avatar
abjectblitz
Scary biscuits
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:19 pm
Current Ride: Ped

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by abjectblitz » Sun May 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Better learning concious counter steering instead, far more useful in making a unforeseen tightening bend.

User avatar
johncat68
Tube steak
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Current Ride: 2012 zzr1400

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by johncat68 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Each to their own way of riding a bike

Been a nice weekend and seen lots of bikes on road
with riders/pillion with just t-shirts, jeans and trainers on

Does it just make you look like a tit to other road users?
whats the opinion on that one?

User avatar
abjectblitz
Scary biscuits
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:19 pm
Current Ride: Ped

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by abjectblitz » Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 pm

johncat68 wrote:Each to their own way of riding a bike

Been a nice weekend and seen lots of bikes on road
with riders/pillion with just t-shirts, jeans and trainers on

Does it just make you look like a tit to other road users?
whats the opinion on that one?

No it makes you look like a tit only to the leathers only brigade. :roll

User avatar
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:00 am
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke
Location: Sconny Botland

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Gazza » Mon May 24, 2010 12:15 am

abjectblitz wrote:
johncat68 wrote:Each to their own way of riding a bike

Been a nice weekend and seen lots of bikes on road
with riders/pillion with just t-shirts, jeans and trainers on

Does it just make you look like a tit to other road users?
whats the opinion on that one?

No it makes you look like a tit only to the leathers only brigade. :roll
I think you'll find a it's to a lot more than just that.

User avatar
Crazy Turbo Beast
Chopper
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:28 pm
Current Ride: Honda CBR600RR

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Crazy Turbo Beast » Mon May 24, 2010 8:46 am

No it makes you look like a tit only to the leathers only brigade.
Saw a rider and pillion on a gixxer in orlando last year.
They were wearing beachware...

No idea about her tits but her arse was nice. :2up

User avatar
acebobby
Scary biscuits
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:11 pm
Current Ride: S1000RR (Road bike)
CBR600RR (Track Bike)

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by acebobby » Mon May 24, 2010 8:49 am

johncat68 wrote:Each to their own way of riding a bike

Been a nice weekend and seen lots of bikes on road
with riders/pillion with just t-shirts, jeans and trainers on

Does it just make you look like a tit to other road users?
whats the opinion on that one?
There is no law against it so its up to the individual!
I personally dont skrimp on protective clothing, about 9 years ago I got a front tyre puncture mid corner at about 60 mph, it was a left hander and I ended up veering across the road and hitting a wall side on completely destroying the ligiments and tendons in my right foot, I was wearing protective gear in that crash and I can assure you I never walked away! I had treatment for over a year and will walk with a limp the rest of my life, had I been wearing t-shirt, jeans and trainers, not worth thinking about really!

Bobby

User avatar
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:00 am
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke
Location: Sconny Botland

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Gazza » Mon May 24, 2010 9:03 am

acebobby wrote: had I been wearing t-shirt, jeans and trainers, not worth thinking about really!

Bobby
Possibly you would have been going a bit slower and not fallen off. ;)

User avatar
acebobby
Scary biscuits
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:11 pm
Current Ride: S1000RR (Road bike)
CBR600RR (Track Bike)

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by acebobby » Mon May 24, 2010 9:15 am

Gazza wrote:
acebobby wrote: had I been wearing t-shirt, jeans and trainers, not worth thinking about really!

Bobby
Possibly you would have been going a bit slower and not fallen off. ;)
60s not really fast, and a mid corner front tyre puncture is virtually impossible to save, even at 30 If you could save it you would have to pick the bike up and go onto the wrong side of the road!

User avatar
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:00 am
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke
Location: Sconny Botland

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Gazza » Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 am

acebobby wrote:
Gazza wrote:
acebobby wrote: had I been wearing t-shirt, jeans and trainers, not worth thinking about really!

Bobby
Possibly you would have been going a bit slower and not fallen off. ;)
60s not really fast, and a mid corner front tyre puncture is virtually impossible to save, even at 30 If you could save it you would have to pick the bike up and go onto the wrong side of the road!

A lower speed will have been a different line. You'd have missed the nail. :log

User avatar
acebobby
Scary biscuits
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:11 pm
Current Ride: S1000RR (Road bike)
CBR600RR (Track Bike)

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by acebobby » Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 am

Gazza wrote:
acebobby wrote:
Gazza wrote:

A lower speed will have been a different line. You'd have missed the nail. :log

I can't believe it's not butter! good one :log

User avatar
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:32 pm
Current Ride: StigBike
Location: Across the road from Dickie

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by brooner » Mon May 24, 2010 1:04 pm

johncat68 wrote:Been a nice weekend and seen lots of bikes on road
with riders/pillion with just t-shirts, jeans and trainers on

Does it just make you look like a tit to other road users?
whats the opinion on that one?
Personally it makes me shudder a bit, seeing folk without full PPE (for want of a better phrase) on, just because of the 'what if?' possibilites.

This is debate raises its head every year once we have a wee bit of heat, some are for, some against.
What ever your point of view, be careful out there

:hippy

User avatar
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:05 pm
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike
Location: Where the farce may lead!

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Ratz » Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm

said it before

sliding along road in full gear - visit to hospital with gravel rash, out same day
sliding along road in jeans and tshirt - visit to hospital for skin grafts, out in weeks/months

i know which id rather have happen and yes we all know that full gear doesnt save you if you hit a lampost etc but it lessens the impact of any minor offs

as for the hanging off style of riding. if your comfy doing it and your riding isnt compromised then to be fair there is nothing wrong with it. yes it does "look" agressive/dangerous/wild and may get you into trouble when you werent doing owt wrong
however if its either bravado, copying rossi, or the like then why bother putting another distraction in the way of what is already a very dangerous past time? thats brown bread riding and will only end in tears

Post Reply