Bus Lanes....?

stgeorge190
Direct Access
Current Ride: Swapped them all for a :PAN!

Bus Lanes....?

Post by stgeorge190 »

Hi Folks
For the first time yesterday, I was stuck in traffic on King STD heading to Bridge of Don.
Road resurfacing on the Ellon Road meant the traffic was backed up a fair bit.
I was doing my best to filter through, where safe to do so, on the other side of the road when I saw a fellow-biker zipping up the empty Bus Lane.

What is the craic with this.... is it allowed?

Would this be regarded as 'filtering but using the inside lane'?

or a total no-no?

As always, help for a novice appreciated

BJ
:cheers
MrT
Spank me
Current Ride: Triumph Sprint STD; Big Mans Wanger R1100GS

Re: Bus Lanes....?

Post by MrT »

At the moment we can't use the Aberdeen bus lanes during their hours of operation - think its 0730-0930 & 1600-1800 apart from Auchhmill Road near the Haudagain which is 24 hour. Hopefully this will change at some point.
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

if in doubt consult the sign at the bus lane, they show pictures of what is allowed and times of validity
bill.m
Tube steak
Current Ride: KTM Duke, Honda VFR800 Vtec, Triumph Sprint STD 1050

Post by bill.m »

I (and quite a few other folk) use the bus lanes on King STD, Ellon Road in the mornings and evenings. My own personal rationale is that it is much safer than filtering between the traffic. The car drivers don't have a problem doing it even after the 7:30 start time so I don't have a problem with it either :log Comes down to personal choice in the end I guess.
Naughtycat1
Direct Access
Current Ride: Honda CBR600F

Post by Naughtycat1 »

MrT wrote:At the moment we can't use the Aberdeen bus lanes during their hours of operation - think its 0730-0930 & 1600-1800 apart from Auchhmill Road near the Haudagain which is 24 hour. Hopefully this will change at some point.
That would be about right. Lost count of how many times my bike instructor asked me why I wasnt using it!! :roll
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Post by Quicksilver »

I have to admit to using the bus lanes on King Street in the mornings and evenings too. I tend to hug near the white line, travel slowly (20mph) and move into the traffic stream to let taxis, buses, faster bikers etc. past. Have seen traffic police on a number of occations checking bus lane users at Aberdeen University and Lidls but they've never stopped me but I think it would depend on the officer and the individual circumstances since technically we shouldn't be there.
Flamedamper
Tube steak
Current Ride: Gsxr 750

Post by Flamedamper »

http://www.bmf.co.uk/pages/news.php?fullstory=600
It's up to the local authority if they want to allow it, see link.
In the past, Aberdeen Council has been lobbied on allowing motorcyclists access to priority bus lanes. The Council still maintains the position that the needs of motorcyclists do not justify giving them priority over other road users, on the basis that this will dilute the effectiveness of the priority lanes and lead to an unsafe mix of users. However, we are aware that trials are being undertaken across the UK and will keep this situation under review.
stgeorge190
Direct Access
Current Ride: Swapped them all for a :PAN!

Post by stgeorge190 »

Thanks for the replies Folks.....

I suppose it is all about behaviours and not upsetting too many folks.

BTW, I was impressed with the number of car drivers who made way when i was coming down Anderson Drive between the 2 lines of traffic :freebird ........ maybe they were scared I would scratch their paintwork!!

except 2 taxi drivers who i could see moving towards the white line! :??? :confused

keep up the good work!!
BONGO
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha R1
Location: In a hoose near Potterton. Caravan sold no loger a pykie.

Post by BONGO »

Geuss that might have been me you saw yesterday.
I will use as with filtering in normal traffic......just happens to be empty lane inside.
As said before much safer than filtering on outside.
highland81
Direct Access
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by highland81 »

A mate of mine got stopped a couple of years ago while using a bus lane in Aberdeen on motorbike. They pointed out to him that the lane was only for taxis, buses and bicycles to which he replied that his tax disc stated that he was using a bicycle. They just gave him a telling off and let him go but think they were just suprised to his response and werent sure how to react. :log

Dont know if this response would work every time
tcat78
Direct Access
Current Ride: 2009 Yamaha R-6

Post by tcat78 »

I prefer to use them as they are alot safer than filtering. Been past traffic cops whilst using the lane also, and they didnt even bat an eyelid...I was just looking for the blue lights behind me..
Luke
Direct Access
Current Ride: er5

Post by Luke »

I've asked a few policemen about it in the past as I was curious myself and got overall similar responses. From their point of view all they're really concerned about is that it's done safely. Filtering is legal as we know, and so we do have the right to split the bus lane and 2nd lane... but in realistic terms - if the whole lane is free, it doesn't add much to the safety to literally ride next to the cars when you can give yourself a bit more space, whilst maintaining a reasonable speed and not drawing too much attention to yourself in case you do come across a policeman... Never had any problems myself - I usually tend to keep speed down and just slowly undertake just in case anyone decides to cross or whatever...

So as long as you do it reasonably, you shouldn't have any problems, and as someone said as a last resort, you can always point at your tax disk! :deal :)
Feckdeamon
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Tuono V4R

Post by Feckdeamon »

Luke wrote:You can always point at your tax disk! :deal :)
I keep mine in me wallet - don't think they'd appreciate me pointing at my arse!
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Luke wrote:I've asked a few policemen about it in the past as I was curious myself and got overall similar responses. From their point of view all they're really concerned about is that it's done safely. Filtering is legal as we know, and so we do have the right to split the bus lane and 2nd lane... but in realistic terms - if the whole lane is free, it doesn't add much to the safety to literally ride next to the cars when you can give yourself a bit more space, whilst maintaining a reasonable speed and not drawing too much attention to yourself in case you do come across a policeman... Never had any problems myself - I usually tend to keep speed down and just slowly undertake just in case anyone decides to cross or whatever...

So as long as you do it reasonably, you shouldn't have any problems, and as someone said as a last resort, you can always point at your tax disk! :deal :)

Welcome to the site young Skywalker :2up

I would have thought that lane splitting would not have been a problem for you...just listen to old Ben…"use the F0rce Luke…" :biggrin2
Luke
Direct Access

Post by Luke »

Dave wrote:Welcome to the site young Skywalker :2up

I would have thought that lane splitting would not have been a problem for you...just listen to old Ben…"use the F0rce Luke…" :biggrin2
Thanks for the welcome, oldie!

Did you ever consider turning a motorcycle helmet into a Darth Vader's helmet? Imagine not getting seen then!

Update: Others are ahead of us... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_w2cOsPw-lJ4/S ... le1000.jpg
Hagar
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBF 1000GT

Post by Hagar »

Luke wrote:
Dave wrote:Welcome to the site young Skywalker :2up

Thanks for the welcome, oldie!

Did you ever consider turning a motorcycle helmet into a Darth Vader's helmet? Imagine not getting seen then!

Update: Others are ahead of us... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_w2cOsPw-lJ4/S ... le1000.jpg
is that not a picture of Rons, he used to come on to this site but hasn't been heard of for a while, possible in a different galaxy by now :log
Luke
Direct Access

Post by Luke »

Hagar wrote:is that not a picture of Rons, he used to come on to this site but hasn't been heard of for a while, possible in a different galaxy by now :log
Only if Ron was living in the USA, judging from the road sign.

I wonder if he had been stopped whether responding that he was flying low would've gotten him out of trouble? :)

I think we met at Don station a year ago if you still remember :)