Yamaha SuperTenere - Ecosse Yamaha

al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Yamaha SuperTenere - Ecosse Yamaha

Post by al »

Ecosse Yamaha

I had one of the press bikes out for an hour this afternoon and on the whole thought it was pretty good. It's been a couple of years since I last rode a 1200GS but from what I can remember it felt pretty similar but with more feel through the front end. Jumping from the 660 to the 1200 the bodywork seems to be far out in front of you but you soon get used to it.

When I first got on and pulled away it felt a but gutless. The ECU was switched into the "Touring" mode. Switching to "Sport" mode gave it better throttle response. I'm not really sure when you would want to use the Touring mode as even in Sport mode the engine was slow revving enough to offer good control. It has a real time MPG indication on the instruments and I was getting better economy in sport mode than touring! Driving out of roundabouts you can occasionally feel the traction control sorting out the rear tyre but it was unobtrusive.

From the spec sheet I was expecting the bike to be heavy but it actually felt fairly light with the weight carried low down like the GS. A & B roads are handled with ease. I would have hoped for a lot more drive from the engine compared to the 660, however it seems to be one of those bikes that masks its speed because of how smooth it is.

The brakes are excellent and do a great job of slowing the bike down quickly. Just using the front brake the bike felt super stable. I tried a couple of emergency stops and you could just feel the ABS taking over. Unlike some systems there is only a very slight feel of pulsing from the ABS but I probably noticed that due to me wearing thin summer gloves.

After riding my 660 for a couple of years I felt that the seat was too low. I stopped and took the seat off but couldn't figure how to raise it. Although not uncomfortable I felt my knees were in an odd position. Standing up on the pegs while traversing a farm track actually felt more comfortable than the 660. The rear brake lever and gear lever would need adjusted for me but no big deal. After changing up gear and getting the balls of left foot back on the peg I kept putting my foot on top of the hinge of the gear lever which was a bit annoying.

Overall, was impressed with the Super Tenere. For two up work and carrying luggage it will be a much more realistic proposition than the 660. However, it is twice the price of the 660 but don't it isn't twice the bike.

Yamaha have tried hard to build an alternative to the Big Mans Wanger but with the current economic climate and the Yen/Pound exchange rate they are going to be struggling to get the share of the market that they deserve. It reminds me of when the first 1000cc Fazer came out - excellent bike but sales suffered due to the list price.

I still think that the 800GS is the bike they should have been aiming to beat which is what the original SuperTenere could evolved into if Yamaha hadn't dropped it all those years ago.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

Re: Yamaha SuperTenere

Post by Newbus »

Excellent write up Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian). Have been waiting to see how this compared in that style market.For me i found the 660 i could not get my feet on the deck so this being lower may be better for more peeps.

:2up
dedpidgin2
Tidybeard
Current Ride: Honda Crosstourer Highlander DCT

Post by dedpidgin2 »

I read somewhere it was £13500... is that true? :eek Don't see them selling many at that price.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

dedpidgin2 wrote:I read somewhere it was £13500... is that true? :eek Don't see them selling many at that price.
It will according to MCN.......

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... ost-13500/
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

It is a great bike and would definetly be on my short list if I only had to have one bike. I just expected a bit more low down drive from the engine compared to my 660 and even my 1100 Monster. It was an easy bike to just get on and make good progress without the learning curve of the telelever front end of the GS.

I'll be waiting to see how it evolves over the next couple of years before I look at changing my 660 though.

Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

With new GSs starting at £10,225 and one with all the toys at £12,625 (ABS, ASC - traction control, ESA, heated grips, tyre pressure monitors etc) I cannot see many people buying the SuperTenere at £13,500.
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

Bike magazine gave it a kicking too... pays your money, takes your choice ;)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Swampy wrote:Bike magazine gave it a kicking too... pays your money, takes your choice ;)
I still can't get over the brakes. They were fantastic and definitely what I would be looking for on my next bike. It would be interesting to do a back to back comparison with the GS though as I didn't get an opportunity to perform the same braking tests on the one I had a ride on. It will be interesting to see what the spec and pricing will be for the 2nd edition and what the options will be with regard to the brakes and traction control systems.

For those who want to go off road and want manual control of the brakes there is an easy trick to disabling the ABS.
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
Swampy wrote:For those who want to go off road and want manual control of the brakes there is an easy trick to disabling the ABS.
You mean you can't just press a button to disable ABS like on the GS? ;)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Grant wrote:[quote="Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)(master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]
Swampy wrote:For those who want to go off road and want manual control of the brakes there is an easy trick to disabling the ABS.
You mean you can't just press a button to disable ABS like on the GS? ;)[/quote]
Do you not have enough buttons on the GS just to flash and cancel your indicators? ;)

There is a company that already sells an aftermarket ABS switch. However, from the reviews I have read from folk that do take the SuperTenere off-road, most riders tend not to switch the ABS it once they learn to trust in the braking system and just use the front brake lever. I guess it is like learning to trust what the front wheel of a GS is doing without being able to feel it.

missgsxr
Direct Access

Post by missgsxr »

Grant wrote:You mean you can't just press a button to disable ABS like on the GS? ;)
You'll be telling us next the GS has a button to switch on/off the rain "you'd have it OFF all the time so you could go riding" :oops ;)
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish
Current Ride: StigBike

Post by brooner »

I would like to have a shot of one to see how it compares to the GS.

£13.5k is alot of dosh for the First Edition although it is well specced, but I think it will be interesting to see how the 'normal' version is priced compared to the GS.
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

Post by Newbus »

missgsxr wrote:
Grant wrote:
You'll be telling us next the GS has a button to switch on/off the rain "you'd have it OFF all the time so you could go riding" :oops ;)

Now if it did have a button to switch off the Rain i would defo by GS :log :log
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Newbus wrote:
missgsxr wrote:
Grant wrote:

Now if it did have a button to switch off the Rain i would defo by GS :log :log
That's a feature that most sports bike riders have been wishing for for years! :log
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

missgsxr wrote: You'll be telling us next the GF has a button... "you'd have it OFF all the time so you could go riding" :oops ;)
:eek

Yes... most GFs have little buttons that enable men to have it off and go riding. Didn't you learn anything in your youth... have a feel around the naughty area... I'm sure you'll find it :arse
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Swampy wrote:
missgsxr wrote: You'll be telling us next the GF has a button... "you'd have it OFF all the time so you could go riding" :oops ;)

Yes... most GFs have little buttons that enable men to have it off and go riding. Didn't you learn anything in your youth... have a feel around the naughty area... I'm sure you'll find it :arse
:log
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

Swampy wrote:

Geee

;)
al
Mass Debater

Re: Yamaha SuperTenere - Ecosse Yamaha

Post by al »

Looks like the US are getting the SuperTenere in 2011 with the choice of black as well as blue. Looks nice in black!!

11MS_SprTen_blk_S1_90af4e9c.jpg
11MS_SprTen_blk_S2_f3273398.jpg
11MS_SprTen_blk_S3_f5d3d3dc.jpg
11MS_SprTen_blk_S4_a6c52b23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Looks good but the exhaust would just have to go.
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

Had a _long_ test ride on the demo one today.
I've got a GS Panzer so have a good idea of the actualite of the 'competition"

The Panzer has _superb_ handling, I know the lack of "feel" at the front end puts some off but I adore the way it just plants itself and blooters round corners, you can change line but whether you _should_ is left as a matter of choice as you can't really feel if you "can"
I really really really like the handling on the panzer.

Main job today was to see if the Yam handled even remotely close to the panzer, intended taking the Yam back to Stoney to try both bikes side by side, by the time I'd made the speed camera along from Keiths shoppe, the decision was made. Stupid grin on face from Yam.

The Yam is smoother, feels _much_ lighter than the panzer (although, I believe it's actually not) quicker, more "fun"
Took it back to Stoney to jump on the Panzer and see what that like and the Panzer felt "bouncy" ! :log
Diving under braking and rearing up under acceleration. now, that's just not right as the Panzer has clever suspension geometry and fully electronic suspension adjustment.
So I got back on the Yam and tried it again, sure enough it just moves less than the Panzer when being flung around and treated badly.

I'm 100% sure the 'lectronics in the Yam are working hard to keep the front wheel down. in the first couple of gears anyway. The bike has at least as much poke as the Panzer and the Panzer doesn't mind hoiking the front hoop.
You can _make_ the Yam lift the front, but you have to be a hooligan about it.

very very surprised at how well behaved the Yam was.
Quick, sounds good, handles very well too.
not _as_ well as the Panzer, but there really isn't much in it.
The Yam is much better behaved everywhere else tho.
better fueling, really nice brakes (tho they need more of a squeeze than I'm used to)

Only real gripe is the lack of "hugger" at the rear (the back end of the bike is going to be a state from keich being thrown off the rear hoop.
and the front mudguard needs extending to keep the mess down too.

oh, and it's _extortionately_ expensive.
D3LS M
Late Braker

Post by D3LS M »

airwave wrote: oh, and it's _extortionately_ expensive.

Since they came out I have only ever seen one on the road (on Skye the other week)

I can't see these being big sellers and reckon in a couple years time you'll get them for a song.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

R2D2 wrote:
airwave wrote: oh, and it's _extortionately_ expensive.

Since they came out I have only ever seen one on the road (on Skye the other week)

I can't see these being big sellers and reckon in a couple years time you'll get them for a song.
That's what I'm holding out for. They did the same with the original 1000cc Fazer when that came out. Great bike but the price was crazy.