Valve clearance advice and a bit more

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Baza
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: ZX-6R J1
FZ 750

Valve clearance advice and a bit more

Post by Baza »

So I finally took on the daunting (for me) task of checking my valve clearances on the ZX6R.
I put it to the dealer the last time it was due to my bike was kept outside. Now I have a large shed so its now great to be able to pause halfway through a job when too much cider has been drunk etc. :boozer

If you can be bothered reading this and giving some advice it would be much appreciated. :2up

This being the first time I've ever checked the clearances myself its all going well so far. i.e. not braking anything.
I've never used feeler gauges before (well apart from when was in tullos training 4 years ago on a rattly old compressor) and therefore have a few questions.

Firstly can you get metric feeler gauges with smaller increments than 0.05mm? If so are they worth getting to measure the clearance accurately? As I feel that I could get away with using my gauges with 0.05mm increments due to the tolerances in the manual.

As I remember I should be able to slide the feeler gauge in and feel a slight drag? I shouldn't be trying to farce them in?

As I've had a few that I've checked that seem to stick a wee bit requiring a reasonable amount of farce to get out, for a thin feeler gauge without bending it.Would this be ok to accept this as a size? or use the next size down.

I've also had a few that seem to allow the gauge to 'almost but not quite' go in.
I know these two above will be that the actual clearance will be just over the thickness of the 0.05mm increment feeler gauge.

For example, on one of the exhaust clearances the 0.20 gauge fits in nicely on the loose side.
The 0.25 gauge is definitely too large.
The tolerance range in the manual is 0.22 - 0.31.
Would it be OK to assume this is within tolerance and leave it or reduce the shim by 0.05mm therefore ensuring that the clearance is central within the given tolerance?

For another two, on one the 0.20 gauge goes in and sticks a bit and the other 'almost' goes in (as above). Again would it be OK to assume that the actual clearance is not far off the 0.20 and again reducing the shim by 0.05 would bring the clearance within tolerance 0.22-0.31?

Should I be aiming for central to the tolerance or if its in, its fine? Whats better, on the loose or tight side?

I'm also cleaning lots of bits including the carbs (just the outside). Whats best to clean off the grime from the carb housings and various springs. Bearing in mind that most of the rubber hoses are still connected to them. Just plain old carb/brake cleaner. I'm guessing standard degreaser wont be OK with all the rubber. Then what should I re lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) the springs with?

The gasket from the pick up coil cover came off cleanly, would it be OK to reuse?

and finally... I know Kawasaki's aren't known for their quite cam chains but over the last few months I' think the tick has been getting louder. Maybe it just might be in my head? While I've got it striped down would it be worth putting in a manual cam chain tensioner?

Again any advice would be appreciated, I'm in no real hurry to get it back on the road as I'm quite enjoying the old FZ and having something in bits outside with out the need to put it back together before the rain comes. :log

Ta
yimmit
Just Passed

Re: Valve clearance advice and a bit more

Post by yimmit »

As the clearances are so close to there limits I would be changing any that the .25 gauge doesn't slide in. If not you could end up with burnt valves. As for the cam chain tensioner you could try stripping and cleaning it but if a new ones not too pricey now's the time to change it while the engines in bits already
Baza
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: ZX-6R J1
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

OK so I went and bought a imperial/metric gauge that has more steps to it. I now feel confident about my measurements. I've removed the shims in question and separated them for measurement this week.

Now the only thing I'm worried about is the two young neds that wandered into my back garden and had a good nose about my bikes before I noticed them. Where I am there would be no reason for them to be up the dead end close where my driveway is. :angryfire

Extra security measures now in place.
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

Baza wrote:OK so I went and bought a imperial/metric gauge that has more steps to it. I now feel confident about my measurements. I've removed the shims in question and separated them for measurement this week.

Now the only thing I'm worried about is the two young neds that wandered into my back garden and had a good nose about my bikes before I noticed them. Where I am there would be no reason for them to be up the dead end close where my driveway is. :angryfire

Extra security measures now in place.
Next time the little cnuts come round get a nice clear photo of their faces and let them know about it. :angryfire
Sgoaty
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda firestorm, ZZR1200, RC8R

Post by Sgoaty »

The first time i did my valve clearances on my last bike (zzr1100) I measured the clearances and found them all way off so I took out the shims checked them with my micrometer ordered replacements. I fitted the replacements then rechecked they were still miles off :??? Turns out I had mis read my grubby old feeler guages and had set them with the imperial measurement rather than metric. After a lot of fannying about I got them all set correctly again and only used one of the new shimms :oops

Wont make that mistake again. :log