oil grades

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
topgun
Just Passed
Current Ride: repaired suzuki 650 bandit with new boots

oil grades

Post by topgun »

can someone please tell me if bike oil and car oil are different or the same
thanks topgun :2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: oil grades

Post by Dave »

there are dozens and dozens of different oils

I am sure the the odd car will require the same oil as the odd bike, but I cant see that happening very often outside of a track machine.

I suggest that you check the oil specification in your manual, and stick to that.
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

topgun wrote:can someone please tell me if bike oil and car oil are different or the same

i doubt you will go far wrong by using Silkolene Comp 4 in your engine
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

topgun wrote:can someone please tell me if bike oil and car oil are different or the same
Nope they are different Motorcycle oils and car oils are very similar, with the exception of a couple of areas that are key to motorcycle operation. The first area is common sumps, or the use of motor oil, to lubricate and cool the transmission. In a car the transmission is lubricated by an ATF fluid, which has frictional properties required for transmission operation. In a motorcycle, where the transmission may be lubricated by the engine oil, an engine oil that does not have the same level of friction of a typical car engine oil will provide better transmission performance in terms of transmission lock-up and slippage. So motorcycle engine oil does not contain the friction modifiers of a car engine oil. The second area for motorcycle engine oils is that they tend to shear (breakdown viscosity) more quickly than a typical car. Motorcycle oils are designed to provide exceptional protection against viscosity loss.

Speak to Boydie he will sort you out with oil at half the price of the dealers (and its good stuff :2up )
topgun
Just Passed

Post by topgun »

thanks for the info away to pm boydie now
cheers topgun :2up
02iomtt
Direct Access
Current Ride: GSXR 600 K1

Post by 02iomtt »

Car oil might make your clutch slip if you have a wet clutch (most do)
bubbaf
Direct Access
Current Ride: Triumph Tiger 800 (road version)

Post by bubbaf »

baldy wrote:
Nope they are different Motorcycle oils and car oils are very similar, with the exception of a couple of areas that are key to motorcycle operation. The first area is common sumps, or the use of motor oil, to lubricate and cool the transmission. In a car the transmission is lubricated by an ATF fluid, which has frictional properties required for transmission operation. In a motorcycle, where the transmission may be lubricated by the engine oil, an engine oil that does not have the same level of friction of a typical car engine oil will provide better transmission performance in terms of transmission lock-up and slippage. So motorcycle engine oil does not contain the friction modifiers of a car engine oil. The second area for motorcycle engine oils is that they tend to shear (breakdown viscosity) more quickly than a typical car. Motorcycle oils are designed to provide exceptional protection against viscosity loss.

Speak to Boydie he will sort you out with oil at half the price of the dealers (and its good stuff :2up )
To ensure its for a motorcycle engine oil check that it has a JASO M(or MA) rating this will mean there are no friction modifiers and is suitable for combined engine/gearbox/clutch.

Fully synthetics will generally be of a lower viscosity than minerals as the formulation is stronger and can operate at higher temps without losing its viscosity (VI -= Viscosity Index) and breaking down. With minerals they add a polymer to give multi-grade capabilities and under stress these will breakdown (shear). My rule of thumb is based on OEM's recommendations for viscosity look for the highest API and JASO ratings you can get as these meet latest requirements (eg API SL 10W-40 JASO MA2 is newer spec than API SG 10W-40 JASO M2). Most of the lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) majors have parts of there web site that will show you their recommend for your bike. Personally use fully synth di-ester based of which Valvoline do a very highly recommended one which is available from Boydie (that better Davie!! :arse :arse )
Last edited by bubbaf on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Car and bike oils operate under completely different circumstances.

For example - Know many cars that rev to 14000 rpm, have a wet clutch and integral gearbox?

Don't skimp. Oil is cheap when you compare the cost of gas and expensive when you use the wrong stuff.

Get the right stuff. :2up
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: 2007 Yamaha R.1

Post by Yamahahaha »

I use Yamalube 4-Stroke Engine Oil S 10W-40 on my R.6

Semi-Synthetic 4-Stroke Engine Oil 10W-40
10W-40 API SG
JASO MA

Features & Benefits:
Delivers the optimum mix of high performance and value
Suitable for all road bikes in normal conditions
The 10W-40 oil offers the precise, factory-recommended multigrade viscosity for your four-stroke Yamaha

Available in 1L and 4L bottles

The reason for using Semi-Synthetic it burns slower than fully-synthetic and saves me topping up the oil everytime.
topgun
Just Passed

Post by topgun »

cheers davie :2up thanks for the oil, at a very good price :cheers
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

I've stuck with what Honda recommend, which is Castrol fully synthetic Power1 Racing 10w-30.