Installing camshafts

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Baza
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: ZX-6R J1
FZ 750

Installing camshafts

Post by Baza »

I'm not having a very good day so far, now I've got two bikes in bits after I found fuel pishing out of the FZ this morning :angryfire . Thankfully RAC manny sorted it to get me back home.

Since I didnt make it out of Aberdeen this morning to be down south for 10am I finally found the time (and daylight) to put the ZX back together.

Following to me checking the valve clearances and getting replacement shims, in total 13 were out or close to limit, I only had to get 8 though.

Having never installed camshafts before all I've got is the manual to follow, but I can't seem to get it. The following is what I know from the manual.

Piston #1 at TDC
Alignment marks on both shafts, lined up exactly to the top of the head.
No slack in the chain on exhaust side.
No slack in chain between shafts
30 rivets on chain between alignment marks on shafts

All of which I have, however a pair of cams on the inlet side is pressing down on the valves not allowing the camshafts to seat right, I assume this is normal.

Problem comes when I try to install the cam holder(is that the right word?). It seems impossible (to me)for this holder to be put on without slack forming between the cam gears. As the cover is worked down the inlet cam is forced to rotate. I repeated this a few times just to make sure that I was doing it right.

Then I tried holding the shaft for as long as I could to stop it rotating while working the cover down. Then I thought that this might be OK to have slack between the shafts since everything is lined up etc and when the engine is rotated it will pull out the slack and align everything again. However before the cams are even properly seated too much slack is in the chain forcing the chain to jump off on the exhaust side. Again I have tried this about five more times each with the same result. Manual just says install cover as per torquing sequence.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Right I'm off to cheer myself up by installing heated grips, toasty hands here I come (when one of the bikes works)
reclaimer
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ah hell, all gone, but still have the little 'ol VL1500

Re: Installing camshafts

Post by reclaimer »

I have a heap of stuff on cd for the fz750, pm me your name and address and I send it to you with anything else I can find.
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

Sorry I should have made myself clear. The FZ's now up and running. APART FROM THE HEATED GRIPS :angryfire

Its the ZX6R I'm working on at the mo.

On the FZ this morning I thought the fuel hose had burst, turned out that one of the floats had jammed? The old hit it with a hammer did the trick (well tap it with a mallet). Looks like I'll have to do a proper clean of the carbs. Not looking forward to that. The FZ has just hit an indicated 50k. Although it looks like its done 500k. :log

I have got a factory manual on PDF for the FZ FN1 seems to be the American version but mostly the same. Don't know if anything else would be any use to me TBH.

What ya got?
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Installing camshafts - Help Req'd

Post by Baza »

Well I've decided to admit defeat and say that I think I've bitten off more than I can chew here. :???

I had a few more goes today, same result. Plus I've heard that you can snap the cover if its not done right and knowing my track record I thought I'd give up and hopefully get someone to do it for me.

Is there any mechanics on here or folk that know there stuff be willing to come round and help put the cam cover on.

I'm willing to pay in cash, booze or biscuits. My shed has no power so it would have to be during daylight hours if anyone is willing.

Ta
reclaimer
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ah hell, all gone, but still have the little 'ol VL1500

Post by reclaimer »

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp
try this link , there is a couple of items for the zx6, don't know how good they are.
i'll check what i have for the fz and let you know.
doogle
Baw Bag
Current Ride: ZXR750L2,CBR600FX

Post by doogle »

pm sent :2up
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

doogle wrote:pm sent :2up
Cheers
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

thanks to garymitch for getting my bike going again :2up very quick
doogle
Baw Bag
Current Ride: ZXR750L2,CBR600FX

Post by doogle »

gary says no problem. allways willing to help. any problems give him a call. :2up