Oxford grips

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Baza
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: ZX-6R J1
FZ 750

Oxford grips

Post by Baza »

Right really pissed off now :angryfire

Large vodka poured :2up

After my previous post on camshafts, I went out to fit my new heated grips. They no work :(

Do you have to hold down the button for a set time or something funny like that or should the lights just go on with a quick press.

14+ Volts coming out of the bike.
The power cable with in line fuse, 14V coming out the end of that.

So the controller must be fooked right? its the oxford electronic one with two buttons and four settings on it.

Is it safe to connect each grip up to the power without the controller to see if they work?
Also will the controller light up and turn on without grips connected?

At least they came with a free set of muffs to keep me warm :???

Oh another thing. M&P/BUSTERS hate them. They charge £5 delivery and they take almost a week to dispatch.
If I wanted something delivered to my home town in nairn because its in the ultra remote Highlands they would charge £10. Parcel farce don't charge me any extra for sending from nairn. :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

Sorry for the RANT
RANT over and out
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Re: Oxford grips

Post by Akrapovic »

Baza wrote:Do you have to hold down the button for a set time or something funny like that or should the lights just go on with a quick press?
You have to press the on button for a few seconds before it goes onto the lowest setting. Once the light comes on, you tap the button another few times to flick through the different heat settings. :2up

I have been fortunate enough to have someone who understands such matters to fit mine. :cool

Hope you get it sorted soon. I couldnt live without heated grips anymore. One of the first mods to be done when I get a new bike.

Must be getting old....
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

Akrapovic wrote: You have to press the on button for a few seconds before it goes onto the lowest setting.

Cheers, will try when sober. :2up
Akrapovic wrote: I couldnt live without heated grips anymore. One of the first mods to be done when I get a new bike.
Must be getting old....
That's all I hear form everyone who has them, after years of riding with numb fingers thought I'd give them a try and hopefully feel my fingers after being on the bike
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Post by Akrapovic »

Baza wrote:That's all I hear form everyone who has them, after years of riding with numb fingers thought I'd give them a try and hopefully feel my fingers after being on the bike
You wont regret it. :2up

Welcome to the old club!! :P
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Don't worry, when I fitted the grips to my Tenere I was pulling my hair out thinking they weren't working until I went back and read the instructions on how to switch them on in the first place! :oops

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

Post by Newbus »

I have a set fitted about a year ago that the controller seems to have gone .Will switch on but not allow you to
go from start position just switches off. Other lad i know has same set that are supposed to switch off
when voltage drops which did not happen and flattened battery. Not sure if there is batch of faulty controllers.
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

Akra, i agree 100%, couldn't be without mine since i fitted them last year.....a must for any year round biker.... :2up
You going for a run tomorrow since i saw Caz was going?
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:Don't worry, when I fitted the grips to my Tenere I was pulling my hair out thinking they weren't working until I went back and read the instructions on how to switch them on in the first place! :oops

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)(master of the known universe).
:log :log :log

OK looks like theres a theme going on here :roll

Anything that has variables in it I will read, and read instructions/manuals until the cows come home, Anything electronic that should be a plug in, turn on and go like any home electrical or computer component instructions usually go in the bin. :log

We'll see in the morning.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

even now my oxford grips can be a bit of pain to switch on . hold the button down for about 3-5 seconds and it should spring to life.

I would advise wrapping the cable conectors in emalgamating tape (or similar) to keep teh water out of the connections as they are prone to corroding.

:2up
pjgsxr
Tube steak
Current Ride: Gsxr1000 now sold so getting a RATZ leatherdelux 1200GS

Post by pjgsxr »

carefull which glue you use

the missus grips started coming loose after 6 months.
45mpr at full throttle followed by 60mpr at closed throttle just didnt seem right
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zax wrote:I would advise wrapping the cable conectors in emalgamating tape (or similar) to keep teh water out of the connections as they are prone to corroding.

:2up
I packed my connectors with silicone grease from RS. A but messy but does the job.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

Yep, instructions clearly state how to turn them on, and... They work. :oops :oops :oops

Thanks folks
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

It is always good when someone says RTFI and things start to make sense. .. glad that they are "now" fully functional . :2up
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

At least you didn't go out and buy a new multimeter before you read the instructions! :oops
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

Have the same type on mine now for a year or two when they work they are the mutts nuts but mine have stopped switching on at all had been intermittant for a while now absoloutly feck all :angryfire will have to get under the tank to check the connectors, and the stupid ZX-spectrum type buttons are now cracking so will mostlikely be letting water into the controller, don't think thats my problem though cause the bikes never left outside when not in use and the fairing keeps it dry when riding.
If I were to buy another set I'd probably go for the Hein Gerrick ones CBR1100 has with the dial controller, seems a much more robust design
MrT
Spank me
Current Ride: Triumph Sprint STD; Big Mans Wanger R1100GS

Post by MrT »

Oxford have re-designed the controller, apparantly the new ones now have a proper on/off toggle switch and separate up/down temperature buttons however most shops are selling off the old models first.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

I have a rotary switch on mine (not oxford)
I like the positive feel of a switch from buttons.
But I don’t have any indication light for the grips

The other week I was on a bike that had indication lights and half a dozen heat settings

Initially I though it was over the top, but now there is less daylight, I think indication light are a great idea

If you are getting new ones, I would strongly recommend that you look about to see what is available and what you like.
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish
Current Ride: StigBike

Post by brooner »

Or you could just do the sensible thing and get a Bimmer - they have excellent heated grips and no fiddling with the wiring required ;)
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Thrumpet heated grips are very nice too.

More revs = More heat :cool