Gearbox overhaul

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...

Is a gearbox swap over an easy enough job to complete?

Piece of piss, don't bother with the pro's
19%
Difficult but achievable if you bribe enough of us into helping you
38%
Very difficult, probably better off getting the pro's do it for you
14%
Completely impossible. You're a mechanical retard! Get the pro's in & stop being a twonk!
29%

Total votes: 21

RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Gearbox overhaul

Post by RK6 »

That's me on a mission to get my bike back into tip top condition.
I've got a shopping list as long as my arm of little odds & sods & No 1 (the only big one) from the list is now in the bag!

2003 complete gearbox in 'as new' condition from Fleabay for £185.00 - BARGAINTASTIC!! :freebird

Recently read a thread on PSB (The Aussie one) about a guy doing an overhaul on his gearbox with replacement parts & it looked like an epic job from start to finish!!

There seems to be only 2 options for getting at the gears on an 03 R1 to do this change over.

1) Strip the bike down, remove the engine then flip it over to gain access from the sump

OR

2) Flip the bike upside down, hang it from the rafters by rope & gain access from the sump without having to strip the bike... (Can you imagine the possible FAIL scenario's)? :eek

So yeah, I'm considering giving this a bash (mainly because I can't think of anywhere to send it for the work to be done).

Can anyone think of somewhere that would be able to do a proper job of sorting this out for me?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :cool :2up
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Re: Gearbox overhaul

Post by coullstar »

engine out, not as bad as it sounds.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Team Abz bikers have done rebuilds before, but you need a good working environment and have to be prepared for the time and effort involved. Do you have full sets of tools and the space to strip down the bike?

Where the professionals will take hours, you will take days or even weeks to achieve the same task.

Having said all that I'm up for giving you a hand mate.... :2up
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Phone up chap at highland. he can give the bike a tweak when he is in the engine and set it up on the dyno.

Rowan
You are concidering doing this in a garage that has no light , or power with little or no tools and you struggled to get a set of cans off your last bike . get a price from chap.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

JT52 is the chap to talk to! :2up
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

As Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) says Steve has changed 2 gearboxes on R1's now he is certainly the person to talk to locally.
RK6

Post by RK6 »

Zax wrote:Phone up chap at highland. he can give the bike a tweak when he is in the engine and set it up on the dyno.

Rowan
You are concidering doing this in a garage that has no light , or power with little or no tools and you struggled to get a set of cans off your last bike . get a price from chap.
I have a possible place to do the work as my garage is useless but even still you're probably right enough in saying I should at least talk to Chap.

Have you got his contact details per chance?

Was kinda wanting to try the strip down just for the experience (never stripped a 'big' engine before). :hippy

EDIT: Got Chap's email address from his webpage, we'll soon see what he says. :cool
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

Engine out flip it upside down pull off the bottom replace bent/bust-up bits put back together chuck it in the bike. you supply the beer I'll supply the pointing finger and a warm garage with light, power and tools if you can be arsed bringing the thing out to mine :2up
Could be done in a day if there are no fk ups but the will be so bargain on two
RK6

Post by RK6 »

CBRXX wrote:Engine out flip it upside down pull off the bottom replace bent/bust-up bits put back together chuck it in the bike. you supply the beer I'll supply the pointing finger and a warm garage with light, power and tools if you can be arsed bringing the thing out to mine :2up
Could be done in a day if there are no fk ups but the will be so bargain on two
Now that is tempting! :worthy

Just realised that there's a bloody postal strike so I wont get the gearbox till that clears itself up. :angryfire

How's the car by the by?
CBRXX
Tank Slapper

Post by CBRXX »

RK6 wrote:
Just realised that there's a bloody postal strike so I wont get the gearbox till that clears itself up. :angryfire

How's the car by the by?
Its clean and it runs but still leaking oil haven't had the time or inclination to pull the head of it yet, will probably retorque it this weekend and recheck the fluids to see if that does anything cause there's no contamination of the oil or coolant atm, seems to have picked up electrical gremlins and the gearbox is hell of a slow engaging reverse but could be to do with lack of use and fluid draining from torque converter or valve bodies if it even has them on that box haven't got round to checkin.
So all in all its just making a nice garden ornament just now :oops
RK6

Post by RK6 »

CBRXX wrote:
RK6 wrote:

How's the car by the by?
Its clean and it runs but still leaking oil haven't had the time or inclination to pull the head of it yet, will probably retorque it this weekend and recheck the fluids to see if that does anything cause there's no contamination of the oil or coolant atm, seems to have picked up electrical gremlins and the gearbox is hell of a slow engaging reverse but could be to do with lack of use and fluid draining from torque converter or valve bodies if it even has them on that box haven't got round to checkin.
So all in all its just making a nice garden ornament just now :oops
Fair enough dude! Glad you got it running.

Winter's closing in so I'm sure you'll manage to beat it into submission at some point soon! :log
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:JT52 is the chap to talk to! :2up

:log he has already asked me mate :log

nae worries rowan its easy(ish) , i will help you out nae worries :2up

gimme a shout an we can sort out details etc :boozer
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Watch out for those exhaust header studs! :eek :(
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:Watch out for those exhaust header studs! :eek :(

hmmm yeah they can be fickle little sods eh :log
RK6

Post by RK6 »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:Watch out for those exhaust header studs! :eek :(
I have a history with R1 exhausts as Dave kindly pointed out already. :oops

Here's hoping this system hasn't fused itself together like the last! :2up
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

Post by Newbus »

JT52 wrote:
Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)(master of the known universe) wrote:Watch out for those exhaust header studs! :eek :(

hmmm yeah they can be fickle little sods eh :log
#
Mmmm sure there is a great guy on this site with great tool for exhaust studs .

Biggest job about doing repairs on your own bike is getting over the fear of starting doing it.
Check out what if any special tools you will require .Usually once you get started the jobs are
easier than you think.

Usually takes me weeks to pluck up courage to do jobs but once i get started they are no problem.

Good Luck
CBRXX
Tank Slapper

Post by CBRXX »

Normally easy enough to remove snapped ones when you have the engine out and plenty of access ;)

Tryin to get them out in a car with a big engine, intercoolers, AC condensors, piping all over the shop and a relatively small engine bay on the other hand is a right PITA
RK6

Post by RK6 »

CBRXX wrote:
Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)(master of the known universe) wrote:Watch out for those exhaust header studs! :eek :(
Normally easy enough to remove snapped ones when you have the engine out and plenty of access ;)

Tryin to get them out in a car with a big engine, intercoolers, AC condensors, piping all over the shop and a relatively small engine bay on the other hand is a right PITA
You wouldn't be referring to a certain German car there would you? :log
CBRXX
Tank Slapper

Post by CBRXX »

RK6 wrote:
CBRXX wrote:
Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)(master of the known universe)(master of the known universe) wrote:Watch out for those exhaust header studs! :eek :(

You wouldn't be referring to a certain German car there would you? :log
Nah the cavernous bay in that thing is the very heighth of luxury you could put up a hammock and still work away in there! Replacing turbos on cars designed by the nation of people who came up with IKEA flat pack furniture, now theres a challenge :roll ;)
RK6

Post by RK6 »

CBRXX wrote:Replacing turbos on cars designed by the nation of people who came up with IKEA flat pack furniture, now theres a challenge :roll ;)
Unlucky! :log