HELP:- Rounded Hex Bolts

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
blagger
Chopper
Current Ride: GSXR 600 SRAD

HELP:- Rounded Hex Bolts

Post by blagger »

Been trying to get my exhaust off but i have only manage to get 4 of the 8 hex(allen) bolts off as the others have rounded since they are in a really bad state.. i have tried the following..

Hammering in a larger allen fitment but wont go in..

tired hammering a lager torx fitment, was in nice and tight but just wouldnt grip when turned..

is there any other options to try b4 having to resort to cutting the heads off...

Cheers
JTC
Cumpy Grunt
Current Ride: ~~~~~~~
Ducati ST4 (SOLD)
Ducati 749 (SOLD)
CBR400RR NC29 (SOLD)
ZX10R -Lulu (SOLD -sob)
Sprint STD 1050 -Bertha (SOLD)
Ducati 848 - Lucia (SOLD)
Ducati Hypermotard 796
Ducati 748R - Bunty

Re: HELP:- Rounded Hex Bolts

Post by JTC »

if they're that bad, just cut the heads off, get the downpipes off then a pair of mole grips or something like that to get the studs out.

new studs and your good to go.
splattercash
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ducati 1098s

Post by splattercash »

might want to try getting a set of those stud removers that hammer on and take a grip my mate got my exhuast studs out that way with a bit of heat think it was a bluepoint/snap-on set of removers

good luck

des
johncat68
Tube steak
Current Ride: 2012 zzr1400

Post by johncat68 »

splattercash wrote:might want to try getting a set of those stud removers that hammer on and take a grip my mate got my exhuast studs out that way with a bit of heat think it was a bluepoint/snap-on set of removers

good luck

des
think they called easy outs
drill em out n replace with stainless steel ones
or if got enough room saw a groove and use a screwdriver after a soak with wd40
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

johncat68 wrote:think they called easy outs

using easy outs is asking for trouble :nono too many things can go wrong , ie you drill the hole in the stud squint or worst case senario you snap the easy out when trying to remove the stud :eek

i would agree with JTC and cut/grind the nuts off then i recommend you send a begging PM to Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) as he has a wonderful gadget for removing snapped exhaust studs (and it works too , trust me) :2up either that or you ask Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) where he bought it as i remember him saying it wasnt too dear :freebird
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Post by coullstar »

What about the Irwins bolt removers if you can get them in?

http://indoors.pricegrabber.co.uk/hardw ... t/sv=image
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

JT52 wrote:
johncat68 wrote:think they called easy outs

using easy outs is asking for trouble :nono too many things can go wrong , ie you drill the hole in the stud squint or worst case senario you snap the easy out when trying to remove the stud :eek
Agreed. Easy outs are probably the worst tool ever designed. Straight out of the frying pan and into the a very expensive fire. Stay well clear!!!

Don't use mole grips either. Not really designed for that job and they will simply strip steel off the studs, reducing their stregnth even more. You need a cam actuated type tool that gets tighter as you pull. The more surface area it grips around the stud the better. Soak the studs with a proper releasing oil (WD40 is NOT a dedicated releasing oil btw).

Use heat, but beware softening the stud too much before you put the wrench on it. Heat the general area surrounding it and cool the stud slowly (do not quench with a hose), say with a damp rag before putting the wrench on.

Good luck.
blagger
Chopper
Current Ride: GSXR 600 SRAD

Post by blagger »

I think i will cut the heads off and then use one of these

:2up
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

weld a nut onto the stud then remove as normal, the heat generated by the weld normally means the thread cracks no problem tho sometime it has to be done a couple of times, if you can't get access to get a really good weld on it :2up