Footrest mounts 1981 Z750E

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Footrest mounts 1981 Z750E

Post by Cossackmannie »

I'm about to fit a set of Raask (yes, I know they're not the best ;) ) rearsets on the old Z750. I've removed the old footrests, hangers and everything that needs to come off. The problem is this-

The two studs under the swingarm spindle are the old mounts. The studs go through the frame and have nuts on the back. As there are no flats for getting a spanner on, I'm assuming the studs don't screw-in. I'm wondering if they are an interference fit and can be drifted out from behind once the nut is removed.
Due to the proximity of the swingarm spindle, I'm reluctant to get some heat on it and also reluctant to batter the hell out of it with a drift and hammer.
I also don't fancy the idea of cutting them off as I'd like to have the option of returning it to normal(as normal as a mongrel can be) It's only the upper stud that needs removing as the lower one is utilised for the rearsets.
Anyone removed these studs from an old 80's bike before or have any other solutions?

Thanks in advance

Ian :2up
oollit
Direct Access
Current Ride: RF900R, SS50

Re: Footrest mounts 1981 Z750E

Post by oollit »

Never done this myself but i would be tempted to get a socket or a piece of thick walled pipe large enough to slide over the stud, get some washers and a nut on the threaded section of the stud and tighten the nut. Should act as a puller as the farce of tightening the nut might pull the stud out of the frame.
A few gentle taps with a hammer might also help.

Other option is to lock 2 nuts togther on the threaded section and get a spanner on them to see if it is threaded into the frame.
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Re: Footrest mounts 1981 Z750E

Post by Cossackmannie »

Sound advice :2up

Will have a bash(!) in the morning.

Cheers Oollit