Bike gremlins

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
ferret
Scary biscuits

Bike gremlins

Post by ferret »

Had my bike out for a wee blast today and had to get a lift home in a van :( it just died without any warning.Still has green ignition light on but nothing else is workin (light,horn,etc).I charged the battery when i got home but still no go.Any suggestions welcome as to easiest thing to check first.Also nee to replace the cylinder head in my car as it through the timing belt and shat on the valves :x oh happy days!!
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Re: Bike gremlins

Post by IZINBARD »

Does the bike have an alarm or immobiliser? If so then god help you.

First place to head is the fuse box, also check the earth strap (probably not the fault but you never know) the battery terminals, might have a separate feed wire going to Ignition light but all other power coming off a cable that is broken internally.

Do you have a digital multimeter and do you know how to use it. If the answer to that is No and No then you'd be best getting an auto sparky to look at it. Taylor's on the Langstracht (beside Liddles and Dingbro) are very good.
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

When you turn on the ignition, does the fuel bump prime - buzzing sound? If not, maybe immobliliser if fitted.
Is the bike cranking over at all, or just dash lights only?
Did it just die while on the move, or did you stop somewhere, and it wouldn't re-start? Could be battery, and not enough juice to operate systems like fuel injection, spark etc.
ferret
Scary biscuits

Post by ferret »

It hasn't got any alarm/immobiliser so that is one good thing i guess,gonna take a good look at things when i get some time this weekend.Hoping its just a dodgy connection/old wiring,getting on a bit @ 1996 so plenty of scope for cruddy wires etc.
johncat68
Tube steak
Current Ride: 2012 zzr1400

Post by johncat68 »

possible faulty kill switch
or side stand switch

gremlins get anywhere
Taz
Tube steak

Post by Taz »

What bike is it? Had a 1200 bandit do the same a few years back and took me a while 2 realise it was 1 of the wires split off the ecu that had been taped up after a possible diy alarm removal.
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

johncat68 wrote:possible faulty kill switch
or side stand switch

gremlins get anywhere

Good point, :log Happened to me once on a run :oops :oops :oops Kill switch. I never use it so didn't check it.
ferret
Scary biscuits

Post by ferret »

Could be the kill switch,it just died on me.I had driven about 10 mls stopped to put in petrol the got 200 yds further along the road :( only good thing was the fact a lad i know in banchory is about to start a motorcycle delivery/recovery business so a free lift home thanks Adrian :2up 07876 363 963 is his number folks,bit o free advertising is the least i can do :2up
johncat68
Tube steak
Current Ride: 2012 zzr1400

Post by johncat68 »

didnt put in wrong fuel? did you ?
ferret
Scary biscuits

Post by ferret »

ha you got me thinkin now :??? no it was the right fuel min,i tried jump starting it and bump starting but no joy not even a splutter but thinking back it did a hell o a back fire just before it died on me ?? for your info its a 750 SRAD