No rear brake after stripping & cleaning?!

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Re: No rear brake after stripping & cleaning?!

Post by Swampy »

but in saying that, I confess to buggering up a few DIY jobs myself :oops

but not that bad :log :log :log :log
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

BIGSTEVE wrote:Hey man, that's a bit feckin harsh!!!

Truth hurts ! Would you still think it was a bit harsh if an accident had been caused possibly injuring you or someone close to you caused by riding that bike in the state it was in on the road , judging by the marks on the back of the brake pads your mate obviously does use his rear brake ! It would have been interesting what his insurance company or grampians finest would have said had there been an accident an the non functional rear brake been found :eek
Neorion
Supergeek
Current Ride: VFR 800 FI
Best advice I was given
"ride for yourself and don't watch my back wheel"
guess who?

Post by Neorion »

Mine is not that bad but putting the front wheel on backwards and then fighting with it for 40 minutes cursing and spilling beer didnt help.

Then I noticed the funny little arrows pointing the other way! Its a good thing bikes keep themselves upright when they start moving :oops
Neorion
Supergeek
Best advice I was given
guess who?

Post by Neorion »

steve wrote:
BIGSTEVE wrote:Hey man, that's a bit feckin harsh!!!

Truth hurts ! Would you still think it was a bit harsh if an accident had been caused possibly injuring you or someone close to you caused by riding that bike in the state it was in on the road , judging by the marks on the back of the brake pads your mate obviously does use his rear brake ! It would have been interesting what his insurance company or grampians finest would have said had there been an accident an the non functional rear brake been found :eek
I think one thing has been forgotten here, we are all human and not infalible are we not?
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Steve's comments are probably coming across a bit harsh as a lot of comments can when what we would say verbally is committed to black in white.

The main thing is that mistake was spotted before anyone was injured and I think there are a couple of lessons to be taken from this -
1. Never rush a job on your bike as it is your life and other road users that could be at risk.
2. Never let Ronz work on his bike without adult unsupervision!

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Ronz
Dummy Spitter
Current Ride: 2010 Triumph SpeedMonster

Post by Ronz »

Swampy wrote:Just glad you got it sorted... could have been a whole other story!

Thanks for posting, good shared learning.

1. Know what you are doing or find out from someone that does
2. Read the instructions, user manual, haynes, workshop manual... any bloody thing that'll show you how it's supposed to be
3. if in doubt, get a BIGSTEVE to do it!
Good man! And cheers fer the tea :2up :worthy
Ronz
Dummy Spitter
Current Ride: 2010 Triumph SpeedMonster

Post by Ronz »

Truth hurts ! Would you still think it was a bit harsh if an accident had been caused possibly injuring you or someone close to you caused by riding that bike in the state it was in on the road
There was never any danger whatsoever or I would never have ridden it.

, judging by the marks on the back of the brake pads your mate obviously does use his rear brake ! It would have been interesting what his insurance company or grampians finest would have said had there been an accident an the non functional rear brake been found
No, I didn't use the rear brake, the trailing edge of the pad was just touching the disc, hence the wear. It was checked that it wasn't getting hot, it wasn't so I rode it only as far as BIGSTEVE's place. How an accident can be caused by a brake that's only ever used in the last few feet of stopping or on hill starts I'll never know.

You, sir, are a turnip! I'm not looking for any snappy comebacks from this, I only ask that you make sure you know the details before jumping to conclusions. If you don't have anything helpful/funny/advisory to say, don't say anything.
Thanks to everyone else for all the helpful advice and for keeping the p!ss taking down to a minimum
:log
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Post by Cossackmannie »

Fair play to Ronz for holding his hands up to his mechanical faux pas and being a good sport by letting the pics be posted. :2up If one person learns from it, then it's not all bad.

I've no doubt there's been many bikes taken to shops with seriously failed DIY repairs and the culprit has blamed it on 'a mate' rather than lose 'Man Points' and the shop has to sort out the mess! I know of two guys in particular round my way that shouldn't even be allowed to play with Lego but persist out-stripping their limited abilities and end up costing themselves lots of grief and cash. This pair always blame the damage on other folk or shops.
I was probably one of the most mechanically cack-handed folk out there when I was younger but I tried to learn from previous mistakes and started paying attention to what older and wiser folk were telling me when asking for help or advice.
First thing I was told when I started work- If you're not sure, ask.

Like Neorion says, we are all human and not infalible are we not? :2up
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Seen this before on a self confessed 'mechanic'. Sierra Saphire Cosworth. 'Please help, the rear suspension has dropped and the car wont move'.
Rear brake pads in the wrong way round and near melted to the discs, which had a slight blue tinge to them.
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:Steve's comments are probably coming across a bit harsh as a lot of comments can when what we would say verbally is committed to black in white.

The main thing is that mistake was spotted before anyone was injured and I think there are a couple of lessons to be taken from this -
1. Never rush a job on your bike as it is your life and other road users that could be at risk.
2. Never let Ronz work on his bike without adult unsupervision!

Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).

Thanks Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) , and wise words an advice from you an Lance , I often help out mates with jobs on their bikes that they Isn't sure of how to do , and in the past I've had to rely on help from mates if there has been something I've been stuck with ,

Well done big steve for averting disaster. :2up
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

Fair play for the hands up to the screw up Ronz.
Not many perfect people on here.
Apart from Gazza . . . oh, not him MX bike + Flip Flops + Lack of talent + Excess confidence = stookie
Apart from Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)
Apart from Coddy, erm apart from his talent for mowing down defencless Learners who are trying to turn in front of him.
Apart from Swampy (DIY Surgery with the aid of motorbike)
Apart from Akra . . . everytime he opens his mouth . . . . :log
RK6 being fine (as long as he stays in bed and doesn't touch a bike)
I'm perfect tho :cool (when not distracted by Joan's bum)
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

hands up if you think rowan and ronz should go into business together and setup a garage?????????

:log

got to be the best fcuk ever on here. no harm done other than to ronz pride and his wallet, I can't believe it's not butter!
Neorion
Supergeek
Best advice I was given
guess who?

Post by Neorion »

TO be honest I would let either of them work on my bike, just Rowan no electrics and Ronz no pads.

Between the 3 of us I reckon we could take a good bike, service it and end up having to strip it for parts (that still work) to make the money back. :hippy

Feck me I was looking at Plastex and my fairing earlier and questioning myself, thankfully the rain started so I put the cover back on and backed away slowly.

Another disastor averted for the evening :biggrin2
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

all good posts...

the slagging is not out of order

the p1ss taking is always good sport

the open posting by Ronz will make everyone who will have a brake pad in hand...double ckeck when fitting....which is a good thing
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Post by Cossackmannie »

Dave wrote:all good posts...

the slagging is not out of order

the p1ss taking is always good sport

the open posting by Ronz will make everyone who will have a brake pad in hand...double ckeck when fitting....which is a good thing

:2up
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

airwave wrote:Fair play for the hands up to the screw up Ronz.
Not many perfect people on here.
Apart from Gazza . . . oh, not him MX bike + Flip Flops + Lack of talent + Excess confidence = stookie
Oi! :wife

They weren't flip flops. They were proper Gortex hiking boots I'll have you know. Must have saved me at least one extra screw and a pin or two. :log

And you forget that the excess confidence was only caused by some idiot pointing a camera at me. :P

Ronz wrote: You, sir, are a turnip!
I guess it takes one to know one. ;)
Kawasaki krazy
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator, GT550

Post by Kawasaki krazy »

Ronz wrote: There was never any danger whatsoever or I would never have ridden it.
There was.......you didn't have full braking capacity
Ronz wrote:No, I didn't use the rear brake, the trailing edge of the pad was just touching the disc, hence the wear. It was checked that it wasn't getting hot, it wasn't so I rode it only as far as BIGSTEVE's place. How an accident can be caused by a brake that's only ever used in the last few feet of stopping or on hill starts I'll never know.
Not sarcastic but genuine questions.....How long have you held a full licence for a bike? Where did you receive your training?
Ronz wrote: If you don't have anything helpful/funny/advisory to say, don't say anything.
At the risk of sticking my neck out..........and I know that you are all mates on here, but doesn't anyone else think that a few statements here are very worrying?
First of all that someone would pop the pistons out of the callipers and not realise that the system would need bleeding afterwards, then to put the pads in the wrong way, then instead of getting a mate to come round to look at it for them, ride it to the said mates house, not realising that if an accident had occurred and someone had got hurt, there would have been some quite serious charges.

Now , I don't know you sir, and I have to believe that you are an honest, upstanding citizen who wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone, so with the best of intentions I personally would recommend that you ask someone who has more experience to oversee any further repairs that you intend to do to your bike and that you seek further training on the use your brakes.

Your sincerely
Worried of Aberdeenshire
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Very well said KK :2up
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

I've screwed up a fair few jobs on my bike over the years but ever time I screw up, I learn a valuable lesson!

Everytime an adult has to come round to fix my feckups I learn how to remedy the problems myself or how I should have done the work in the first place.

Thanks to my retarded mechanical adventures I've picked up a shed load of info / hands on experience from people who actually know what they're doing (no, not Arron :log ). Just the other day I had my bike down to nothing but a frame c/w forks, engine and loom. Gave it a deep clean, inspected all the wiring, changed the sparks (which was a complete PITA), done a full oil change and successfully changed my filter, installed the new Stator, reinstalled the RR then got it ready for putting back on the road. If I'd tried that a few years back, I wouldn't have just broken the generator casing (which was actually torqued per the service manual - 12Nm); I would have broken myself, my entire bike, my garage, both paddock stands, all my tools & my confidence. :oops

Speshooul moments are worthwhile providing you learn something from them.

Having said that; even I am in complete awe of your spectacular lack of common sense Ronz. :log
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Post by Akrapovic »

RK6 wrote:
Thanks to my retarded mechanical adventures I've picked up a shed load of info / hands on experience from people who actually know what they're doing (no, not Arron :log ).
Thats what other people are for Rowan. ;)
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Akrapovic wrote:
RK6 wrote:
Thanks to my retarded mechanical adventures I've picked up a shed load of info / hands on experience from people who actually know what they're doing (no, not Arron :log ).
Thats what other people are for Rowan. ;)
Precisely! ;)
BIGSTEVE
I can't believe it's not crotchbutter
Current Ride: Rocket 3 Roadster

Post by BIGSTEVE »

He did learn a valuable lesson, he knows how to do it now!

I learned a lot from Zax and flippineck and thanks to their time and patience I can pass on their wisdom. I have done some stupid stuff (likes of flooding no1 valve with about a litre of petrol and hydrolocking the piston, caused by getting suck am blow the wrong way around!). If it weren't for our failures we wouldn't learn much.

Just glad to be of service.
Kawasaki krazy
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator, GT550

Post by Kawasaki krazy »

BIGSTEVE wrote:He did learn a valuable lesson, he knows how to do it now!

If it weren't for our failures we wouldn't learn much.

Just glad to be of service.
I am not suggesting for one moment that people shouldn't do their own repairs, in fact I'm fully in favour of it. I have done my own repairs for years, but.......it's always good to have someone on hand the first couple of times that you tackle anything new, especially when it may interfere with the safety of your bike.

KK
BIGSTEVE
I can't believe it's not crotchbutter
Current Ride: Rocket 3 Roadster

Post by BIGSTEVE »

Couldn't agree more, that's how learned. :2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

A mate of mine recently admitted to being addicted to brake fluid. When I quizzed him on it he reckoned he could stop any time.....

:biggrin2