Battery cells

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
crankcase
Tube steak
Current Ride: GSXR750k4

Battery cells

Post by crankcase »

I had to top up the cells of the battery yesterday with distilled water.
Its been stored in the outhouse all winter on the optimate with no sign of leakage.
Anyone know if the acid content will now be weaker or would the fluid loss be water ?
Optimate showed green lights this morning but the battery wouldn't start the bike.
Had to jump start it. Ran it for 10mins and it restarted fine.
If the plates are damaged due to the low level id have thought the optimate would have indicated.
Would it ?
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Re: Battery cells

Post by airwave »

dunno, wouldn't think so.
optimate doesn't "load test" batteries, does it?
crankcase
Tube steak

Post by crankcase »

I thought optimates cycled and tested for the battery holding a charge. Not a full load test I suppose.
Not the first time this has happened either and puzzled why always the loss of fluid with no leakage.
Looks like another new battery.
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

you'll get fluid loss if the battery gets too warm for too long (and I believe the optimate holds a _very_ low charge current once it has cycled)

it's probably more oxidisation on the plates than low acid levels. A slight overcharge will help get rid of that (running the bike) the on board charge circuit runs bike batteries very hot and can (not will, just can) clean up mild plate damage.

go fer a decent run and see how it goes (remember to park at the top of hills tho :2up )
crankcase
Tube steak

Post by crankcase »

Thanks Airwave :2up
Will see how it goes.
Had a 140 mile run (with jump leads in a rucksack) today so heres hopeing.
Battery out tonight and back on the optimate.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

crankcase wrote:I thought optimates cycled and tested for the battery holding a charge. Not a full load test I suppose.
Not the first time this has happened either and puzzled why always the loss of fluid with no leakage.
Looks like another new battery.

Heres' how it works....

http://www.optimate.co.uk/optimate%204.htm
· Diagnosis of deep-discharge or light sulphation; a fully automatic recovery phase with precisely controlled parameters can recover neglected batteries, even from as low as 2 Volts. In really difficult cases the interactive programme gives the battery a “Turbo Recovery” charge.

· Multi-stage automatic charging programme monitors and controls both voltage and current while charging the battery to ensure optimum charge for the battery, without any risk of over-charging. OptiMate 4 is totally safe for long-term connection.

· Automatic double-check ensures that the battery is fully charged before switching over to maintenance (float charge) mode. If the check indicates that the monitored signals suggesting full charge were premature, the charger reverts to the main charging stage and continues this procedure until the battery is definitely fully charged.

· Proven charge & test maintenance mode – the 30 minute charge / 30 minute test cycle has been verified over 15 years to be the best maintenance method for batteries. In maintenance mode, every 30 minutes OptiMate checks for any signs that the battery is not able to hold its charge, or that it is being drained by something connected to it. Should a power drain or defective battery be detected, the red LED will indicate a "suspect" condition but the charging circuit will continue to support the battery until disconnected. If all is well, the green LED indicates after the first of these checks.

· Automatic cancellation of charging programme when mains power fails. On restoration of mains power the battery is automatically re-assessed and the charging programme appropriate to the battery status is immediately restarted.

· Automatic resetting of charging programme in case of accidental loss of contact between charger and battery terminals. If this happens, the circuit will automatically sense the fact and it will disengage - the charge programme will start afresh on reconnection.

· Now includes IP54 protection against water ingress.

· OptiMate 4 is totally automatic and fully protected against user errors. There are no switches. Short-circuiting the charger output resets the programme, without sparks or blown fuses. Affordable, compact, intelligent and forgiving of errors, OptiMate 4is the perfect tool for regular or long-term maintenance of batteries not in daily use.

NEW OptiMate 4 features include:

· Microprocessor control: provides enhanced operation.

· Automatic self-diagnostic test: Immediately on connection, the microprocessor checks the circuit and flashes all LEDs (except charge current LEDs) to confirm correct operation.

· Dual-stage recovery action: If the diagnostic check determines that the battery is sulphated (deep-discharged), the first stage attempts to drive in an initial current by applying up to 16V for a brief limited period. If this is unsuccessful, the TURBO recovery stage engages (indicated by a flashing recovery LED), which increases the applied voltage to up to 22V. This action is limited to a maximum two hours.

· Charge current display: A thermometer style central LED column shows delivered current. This, together with the expanded charge programme status LED information provides the user with detailed insight regarding the progress of both the state of charge and the state of health of the battery.

· High efficiency: Despite delivering 33% more power than OptiMate 3sp, OptiMate 4 consumes less electricity, which is welcome in these days of high energy costs and eco-awareness.

· Improved connectors: All weatherproof connectors now feature “glide-guide” inserts for easier connection.

· Enhanced battery testing: Green, yellow and red “traffic-light” LEDs indicate alone or in combinations to provide 5 possible results of the end-of-programme test for power drain, whether in the battery or due to a problem in the bike’s electrical system.

· Enhanced indications: The charge and test LEDs now indicate the charge / test cycle accurately: On = charging; Flashing = testing
50 notes well spent if you ask me. Used on for 5 years on my Ducati 998s original battery and it never failed to start. Plugged it in every time I got home. Very useful for long storage and cheaper than a replacement battery.