Thumb brakes

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Ronz
Dummy Spitter
Current Ride: 2010 Triumph SpeedMonster

Thumb brakes

Post by Ronz »

Anyone got any experience of adapting a bikes brakes to operate via a thumb brake on the left bar? I'm talking about the front brakes not the rear one, my foot still works. I've recently developed a problem with the nerves in my right arm leaving it fairly weak. I'm still able to grip the bars fine but my right hand's fairly numb and, if it gets worse, it could make feeling how hard/soft I'm braking a bit difficult and riding dangerous. This is all fairly new but not entirely unexpected but I want to be prepared for the worst rather than just hoping for the best.
boydie
Direct Access
Current Ride: Triumph Sprint STD 1050 and Hayabusa

Re: Thumb brakes

Post by boydie »

Must be possible ronz, i would expect its a case of different length hose to suit different position. What about your throttle though!!!! :eek
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

Robert Dunlop had a left bar mounted front brake lever fitted.This was believed to be one of the reasons he crashed...... :???
johncat68
Tube steak
Current Ride: 2012 zzr1400

Post by johncat68 »

get a bike with CBS and not use front brake lever

June 11, 2008 Motorcycle 'driver aid' technology is becoming more and more prevalent; the 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R, for example, features a primitive traction/stability control system, and the latest Yamaha R1 and YZFR6 engines feature 'fly by wire' throttles, in which an ECU interprets and moderates throttle inputs before they reach the engine. Anti-lock braking is beginning to feature on almost all touring-style motorcycles, and Honda's Combined Braking system, or CBS, is fitted to several of the company's less sports-focused models, where it distributes braking farce between front and rear wheels even if only one brake lever is pressed. Honda's latest advancement in rider aid technology is to combine ABS and CBS into one electronically-managed system that prevents braking lock-ups and also manages weight transfer under heavy braking to help stop the rear wheel from lifting in an emergency stop.

Honda's top-flight sportsbikes already deliver completely ludicrous braking power and stability - now it seems they're going to get a computerized braking system that prevents lock-ups, corrects overuse of the rear brake, and manages the forward pitch that is common on razor-sharp handling bikes with short wheelbases.

The Japanese manufacturer recently announced its Combined ABS system, which adds anti-lock braking to a computer-controlled upgrade of the Honda Combined Braking System we have already seen on recent VFR800 and CBR1100XX models, among others.
bikerchick
Tube steak
Current Ride: 1962 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by bikerchick »

You could ask NABD as they do these conversions all the time for people.
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

bikerchick wrote:You could ask NABD as they do these conversions all the time for people.
:2up http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/adaptionkits.htm#thumb
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

Cheers folks, I'll give NABD a shout. At the moment there's enough feeling in my right arm to work the throttle but, obviously, I'm not going to ride if it becomes difficult to moderate the throttle position. I've heard of left hand throttle mods but not sure if having throttle, brake and clutch on one side would be a bit much.
I'll just have to wait and see how my condition develops I suppose.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

baldy wrote:
bikerchick wrote:You could ask NABD as they do these conversions all the time for people.
:2up http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/adaptionkits.htm#thumb
There is an interesting section regarding right arm amputees. I know you still have your arm Ronz but it does mention in there about on bikes with two front brake disks that one of them could be linked to your rear brake to give a Honda like combined system. The other caliper could then be controlled from a thumb lever on the left side.

But what ever you do end up doing, please get a grown up to do the work!!!! ;)

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
But what ever you do end up doing, please get a grown up to do the work!!!! ;)

:log :log :log
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

I dunno, you put one set o brake pads in backwards.... That one's gonnae haunt me forever :log
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Ronz wrote:I dunno, you put one set o brake pads in backwards.... That one's gonnae haunt me forever :log

yip :2up :log
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Dave wrote:
Ronz wrote:I dunno, you put one set o brake pads in backwards.... That one's gonnae haunt me forever :log

yip :2up :log
Homer Simpson wrote:Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

Ronz,

does your disability require you to notify the DVLA or your insurance company?

You said yourself that it may prove dangerous...

... just a thought
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... /index.htm

It's a big list, but the DVLA wont necessarily pull a licence. They will require frequent assessment by your doctor, but the upside of that is you get a new licence every few years and the old points mysteriously dissapear when they are no longer valid :P

If you get pulled and are assessed to be 'unfit' it's serious in the eyes of the law.

P.S. that includes making sure you can see properly.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zathos wrote:If you get pulled and are assessed to be 'unfit' it's serious in the eyes of the law.
Do they make you do press-ups or something?
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
Zathos wrote:If you get pulled and are assessed to be 'unfit' it's serious in the eyes of the law.
Do they make you do press-ups or something?

Sort of....

.....after some big burly bloke knocks yer teeth out so you can't 'bite down' ;) :eek :(
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Post by Cossackmannie »

Zathos wrote:[url] They will require frequent assessment by your doctor, but the upside of that is you get a new licence every few years and the old points mysteriously dissapear when they are no longer valid :P
New licence every few years, yes, but remember what the DVLA is like for 'losing' important info like 'Motorcycle entitlement' when you send off for change of address etc. ;)
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

Cossackmannie wrote:
New licence every few years, yes, but remember what the DVLA is like for 'losing' important info like 'Motorcycle entitlement' when you send off for change of address etc. ;)
That happened to a friend of mine. He was forced to retake his test!
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Post by Cossackmannie »

Swampy wrote:
Cossackmannie wrote:
That happened to a friend of mine. He was forced to retake his test!
I've got that covered- I'm never going to move house ;)
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

I spoke to a lovely lady at dvla and was told that seeing as I hadn't been advised not to ride by my doc that it wasn't an issue. Obviously if I feel unsafe I'll stop but the situation seems to have stabilised for the mo. Feels a bit weird and still a bit weak but there's enough strength left to be getting on with. Looks likely that it's permanent but scans in a couple of weeks will tell me more.
teamemmenracing
The Real Slim Shady
Current Ride: R 6..... errrr another R 6 and XJR1300

Post by teamemmenracing »

Only input I can give on thimb brakes is - they are limited by the amount of power you can supply with your thumb, which in practice is minimal.
I had one on my last race bike - thought Id find out what all the fuss was about - mine was attached to the rear of course - worked well and I liked it, but took it off because in the event of a front brake failure I would need the rear to stop ......... not a happening deal.

An easy option for little cash would be to plumb in one of the front discs with a Tee split on the rear foot brake. leave the other disc with the original right hand lever as an extra ......
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

Interesting idea!
I got the results back and I've been diagnosed with Degenerative Spinal Disease and will need some pretty serious surgery at some point involving bolting my c6 & c7 vertebrae together which I really don't fancy at all. Strength's still not back but hasn't worsened so I'm living with it for now.
metallninja
Big Nose
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by metallninja »

Rig the front brakes to the rear m/cylinder and the rear brake to a thumb brake?

Tis what I'd do. Will need a wee re-map of the grey matter but so did changing gear with a foot instead o` a hand.
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

metallninja wrote:Rig the front brakes to the rear m/cylinder and the rear brake to a thumb brake?

Tis what I'd do. Will need a wee re-map of the grey matter but so did changing gear with a foot instead o` a hand.
Aye that could work better. Cheers.