Any welders??

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
stevemoid
Tube steak
Current Ride: 2015 R1200GSA

Any welders??

Post by stevemoid »

Are there any welders present? Or does anyone know any welders? My left front foot rest has cracked just at the start of the peg and with the crack my nimble 17 stone frame has bent it down causing the gears not to shift.

I looked for replacements on the cheap but they're all afa expensive. If someone knows how to weld/or knows someone that could mend this for me, I could extend beer tokens their way for their time.

Honda nicely quoted me £430 minus labour for a replacement rear set.

See link below for pic of the crack just at the start of the peg.

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/bikejs.jpg
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Re: Any welders??

Post by The Rossi Kid »

stevemoid wrote:Honda nicely quoted me £430 minus labour for a replacement rear set.
You could get the blingiest of bling Gilles Top of the range rearset for that, i think that might be a quote fail!
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

stevemoid wrote:Are there any welders present? Or does anyone know any welders? My left front foot rest has cracked just at the start of the peg and with the crack my nimble 17 stone frame has bent it down causing the gears not to shift.

I looked for replacements on the cheap but they're all afa expensive. If someone knows how to weld/or knows someone that could mend this for me, I could extend beer tokens their way for their time.

<FONT COLOR="#FF00FF">Honda</FONT> nicely quoted me £430 minus labour for a replacement rear set.

See link below for pic of the crack just at the start of the peg.

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/bikejs.jpg
That is an aftermarket rearset on your bike and not the original Honda rearsets.

There is some sort of writing on the plate that is attached to the frame. Can you identify the manufacturer? If so, you may be able to order just the part you need.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

Aye I noticed that. I didn't even dignify them with a reply. As the standard ones for my model look terrible. Have emailed a couple of breakers on fri but not heard anything back.

I do think a quick weld would sort it nicely, just want it patched up so I can get back out on it. 1st day not using it and have withdrawls already :log
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

stevemoid wrote:Aye I noticed that. I didn't even dignify them with a reply. As the standard ones for my model look terrible. Have emailed a couple of breakers on fri but not heard anything back.

I do think a quick weld would sort it nicely, just want it patched up so I can get back out on it. 1st day not using it and have withdrawls already :log
Do you really want to take a risk?

By the look of it it is an alluminium part so can be a bugger to weld properly.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
stevemoid wrote:Aye I noticed that. I didn't even dignify them with a reply. As the standard ones for my model look terrible. Have emailed a couple of breakers on fri but not heard anything back.

Do you really want to take a risk?

By the look of it it is an alluminium part so can be a bugger to weld properly.
They are Harris rearsets.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CBR-600-F4i ... 0760315773
stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

Aye, I found them earlier on. I think I may have to bite the bullet and get them if push comes to shove. Not to confident with fitting though.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

stevemoid wrote:Aye, I found them earlier on. I think I may have to bite the bullet and get them if push comes to shove. Not to confident with fitting though.
Contact Harris first and see if they can supply just the part you need. It may not cost you too much then.

RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
stevemoid wrote:Aye, I found them earlier on. I think I may have to bite the bullet and get them if push comes to shove. Not to confident with fitting though.
Contact Harris first and see if they can supply just the part you need. It may not cost you too much then.

Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
:stupid

Harris stock a full inventory of spares for the guys that bin it and only need pegs, levers etc.

Can't see the bit you've broken thanks to the IT Nazis at work but I would highly doubt that you'll need to buy a full new assembly to get back on the road. :2up
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Rowan is right , individual parts can be bought from Harris (well they used to) , best thing I can recommend is give them a call for prices etc , I don't think welding that part would be a good idea as it will possibly become weakened , as has already been said aluminium Isn't the easiest material to weld , plus you've bent it too so there could be a risk of something snapping if you were to try and bend it back
stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

Cheers for all the responses. :2up

I've popped Harris an email last night. Will hopefully hear something soon.

It's very frustrating, stuck with the car for now and parking is an absolute biatch at my work. :angryfire
stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

Thought i'd add this quote that just landed in my inbox. Made me giggle :log

Look at the comment......... You think!!!! :log
stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

Could anyone recommend some reasonably priced rearsets? I'm having no luck sourcing spares at all. Harris are beyond useless. Left them an email, the called and the chap said he would call back. This never happend. Emailed again and still nothing.

I'm getting seriously p*ssed off them. So think I might just go and get new ones.

Could you recommend a decent place local or online that are reliable?

Are they easy enough to replace? I'm a total rookie when it comes to tinkering with bikes. The most i've done is changed the exhaust and the indicators :log (did have to take the whole front end off for the front ones though :??? )

Cheers guys
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5384 ... sts/Gilles

Not cheap, but very nice.

Mandp are ok as online suppliers and Gilles make very good rearsets.

Easy to fit, but take a bit of fiddling to get the correct position and adjustment of levers.
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Google GBMoto performance an give Barry a call , he makes rearsets for alot of bikes , they are good lookin items and cheaper in price than alot of other brands
stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

Thanks for that. I've shopped with them before and had no issues. Looks like it will have to wait a month before I can have those funds to spare :(
They're nice looking sets. I do like the carbon heel gaurds.
Easy to fit, but take a bit of fiddling to get the correct position and adjustment of levers.
Would that be similar to the haynes manuals "slight adjustments" that more often than not end up with my taking a large hammer to it? :log
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

As a temporary repair you could always try a big lump of "liquid metal" type epoxy.

stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:As a temporary repair you could always try a big lump of "liquid metal" type epoxy.

Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
What's that? Would it work?
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

stevemoid wrote:[quote="Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]As a temporary repair you could always try a big lump of "liquid metal" type epoxy.

Big limp wristed Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
What's that? Would it work?[/quote]
I would concider it a "get you home" type fix and not a perminant solution for something like a footpeg bracket. You can get it from the likes of B&Q next to where they sell the glues and you can probably get it in the likes of Halfords.

It is generally in the form of a "stick" that you work in your hands to activate the epoxy and hardiner then you apply it like blue-tac. Wear gloves to protect your hands if you can.

You need to make sure that the surface you are going to be applying it to is clean. It might be an idea to roughen the surfaces up to key them as well. As you are after strenght rather than looks I'd apply a good lump of the stuff round the whole area of the crack.

Leave the stuff at least 24 hrs to harden even though it will probably say that it will be hard quicker than that.

Like I say, I would only consider it a temporary fix and take it easy till your new part(s) arrive.

stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

Cool, think i'll give that a bash tonight. It's gotta be better than nothing at all.

Cheers Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) :2up
stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

http://tinyurl.com/rearsets

What do you think about these ones? Not 100% sure, like the price though.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

stevemoid wrote:
Would that be similar to the haynes manuals "slight adjustments" that more often than not end up with my taking a large hammer to it? :log
Not that fiddly :log

The rearsets generally have several position settings for the pegs so you end up trying a few positions until you find the one that is just right for you.

Physically adjusting the peg is just a couple of bolts on each side, but then you also need to adjust the gear link and rear brake (not forgetting the rear brake light, which always seems to take ages to reset :( )
crankcase
Tube steak
Current Ride: GSXR750k4

Post by crankcase »

Aluminium isn't the easiest to weld but that crack still looks repairable to me :confused
stevemoid
Tube steak

Post by stevemoid »

crankcase wrote:Aluminium isn't the easiest to weld but that crack still looks repairable to me :confused

I'm still open to welding. I assume it would be cheaper than paying £250 for new sets. Just don't know any welders.
crankcase
Tube steak
Current Ride: GSXR750k4

Post by crankcase »

Can't help you in that department anymore. 8 years ago I could've. Doesn't help much.
I've worked with some very very good aluminium welders. I'm not a welder myself buy having seen what they could do it would at least be worth running this job by a good one. A (normal) welder isn't what your looking for here.
One of the guys I worked with (arguably the best ally welder I've seen) did work for Dennis Irvine. I've lost touch with him and he's a desk jockey now anyway but maybe Dennis could point you in his or someone else's direction.
If the guy I'm thinking of couldn't do it he'll know someone who can. One of his apprentices went self employed as an ally welder. There aren't that many good ones about.
James Aitken down by the harbour another option maybe ?