Exhaust repacking

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Exhaust repacking

Post by steve »

Does anyone have any opinions how often exhaust cans should be repacked ? Also what kinds of repacking material is the best to use , is there any benefits to be gained by repacking exhausts on a high mileage bike ?
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Exhaust repacking

Post by al »

I repacked the Micron cans I had on my old FireStorm. It was a bugger of a job to do and made very little difference to the noise if any at all.

The packing is in the form of a wrap that you put round the perforated tube. I used some packing take to hold it in place while the outer sleves were slipped back on. My cans were round so I don't know what the differences are like with oval cans. ( http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/products.asp?cat=3 )

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
bob r6
Direct Access
Current Ride: cbr1000rr

Post by bob r6 »

i've only ever repacked moto x exhausts . Dennis Irvine stocks packing in sheet form or like cotton wool I fond sheets better to use.
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

Off Titernet :2up

Q. How often I have to change the silencer packing material (damping wool)? Is it necessary at all?

Durability of the damping material depends on the type of the motorcycle, riding style, mileage…
Normally, single and twin cylinder engines have stronger exhaust gasses, valve pulses and higher temperatures.

Silencer packing material should be replaced when you notice the first visual changes on the muffler sleeve material or when the muffler approaches the circuit noise limit, Please check the muffler visually before every season.

In general the silencer packing material should be replaced every 2 years.

Im not sure on re-packing every 2 years :eek I supose it would have to be if the noise is getting to excessive or if you are losing any power due to a backpressure issue but wouldnt have thought that would be the case with you Akro's as they are almost straight through anyway ....
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Cheers for that Nick :2up

I've just been thinkin recently about changing the wadding in my cans due to high mileage an the possible excess build up of carbon deposits in the wadding that's currently in my cans , I've seen wadding kits available on eBay in sheet and loose form , I reckon sheet form will possibly be the best option , I just need to purchase a decent rivet gun and some rivets along with the wadding

Cheers for your help an opinions guys :cheers
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower

Post by baldy »

http://www.bikebandit.com/akrapovic-muffler-repack-kit :2up You can buy from Akrapovic for your cans.... but to be honest for the price i would just live with whats inside at the minute as its not going to do any harm.IM pretty sure some of the fact ory bikes etc run without any :eek .......Nice sound tho ;)
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Post by Akrapovic »

baldy wrote:You can buy from Akrapovic for your cans....
I'll sell anything Nick. :log
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

I did have a quick look on the official Akra site for a kit like that Nick but I couldn't find it

To be honest it's providing more than I'm interested in changing , my titanium strips will just be riveted back on an I'm actually thinking of removing the stickers on my cans but I will prob be left with a mark so maybe I'll just live wi what's on just now , Akrapovic (not Arron) use preformed sleeves of wadding in their cans so that alone will make the kits you found more pricy too , I've found folk on eBay selling sheets of wadding that you would wrap around the perforated tube before reinstalling it back into the oval can , these kits are available for as little as £5 , I think that's prob more what I'm looking for
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower

Post by baldy »

:2up or you could ask Akrapovic he sells anything........ :log