VFR Cooling Fan

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

VFR Cooling Fan

Post by haiax0 »

Hello Folks,

Noticed last night my cooling fan is not switching on my VFR Fix 800, I am going to consult the Haynes manual tonight and have a look. The bike is running to temps of 114 + with out the fan kicking in and cooling down to 90's like it should (tested on 2 occasions and the fan fails to cut in)

I have switched it off and let the engine cool naturally.

This only occurs when town riding in lower gears for more than 15 minutes - The bike has no issues on the open road holding a Max (Billy-Ray) temp of no higher than 80 so Its not a real urgent issue.

I am not electrically minded in the slightest, Thought I would check the fuse box and then try and multi meter the connections to the fan. I believe the fairings will need to come off..

any one dealt with this type of diagnosis before?
Zax
Derren Brown

Re: VFR Cooling Fan

Post by Zax »

Take the lower and mid faring off the bike and check that the fans spin freely
Honda blackbirds used to be prone for getting stones stuck in their cooling fans once the stone was removed they sometimes worked again. the trapped stone would blow the fuse.

Check the Fuses and the fans
I will send you a schematic of the setup if you PM me your email address
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

The general rule of thumb with any electrical issues is check the fuses first , you may also find there will be a forum dedicated to your bike where you could get help to solve the problem your experiencing with your bike , hopefully it will be something simple an it will be easy to fix
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

Thanks Zax i have Pm'd you my email address.. Many thanks

I will check out your suggestions tonight should the rain keep off, I have also registered to "bikers Oracle VFR forums but the registration can take a day or so to get approved so thought i would check in here first.

Any other suggestions welcomed... im more macanically inclined..

Electrical - If you cant see it move dont trust it... :log