Chain Cleaning Tips?

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Chain Cleaning Tips?

Post by haiax0 »

I decided to clean the chain tonight for the first time (spent more time riding that maintaining) I am bad i know.. i kept applying dry ptfe lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) to a seemingly clean chain for the past 2 months and neglecting the cleaning.

so... I set about with a can of "muck off" chain cleaner and a toothbrush and soon ran out of cleaner with an alarming amount of crud finding its way to the surface of the chain / sprocket.

I have done the best i can with the caveman equipment I have and its lead me to ask for advice on how you good folks may make light work of said task? is there such a way? I realise regularly cleaning will make the task much easier and ensure good chain health (before any one says it!)

I welcome any tricks of the trade for a murky job i.e whats the best fluids, cleaning gear and approach etc.

cheers Andy :2up
Crashgoggz
Direct Access
Current Ride: '99 Honda Hornet 600.

Re: Chain Cleaning Tips?

Post by Crashgoggz »

I've always used a rag and WD40.

Just don't do this

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Holy smokes batman... That is crazy!

Just found a half can of WD40 that finished it off nicely.. I wouldn't consider any bike maintenance with the engine on thankfully but that post is stern reminder for all why not!!
Last edited by haiax0 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

You can get clamp on devices for cleaning chains. NOT FOR USE WHEN THE BIKE IS REUNNING.

But generally use a degreaser on the chain, just the chain, be careful it doesn't get on anything else.

Bicycle 'Muckoff' works well :2up
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

I use paraffin to clean my chain. It's good degreaser for most metal things and won't damage the rubber seals in the chain. Just pour some on a rag and spin the rear wheel by hand, obviously not doing what many have done in the past...
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

Dickie wrote:I use paraffin to clean my chain. It's good degreaser for most metal things and won't damage the rubber seals in the chain. Just pour some on a rag and spin the rear wheel by hand, obviously not doing what many have done in the past...
:stupid

Always remember to re-lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) it as soon as you can after cleaning.. if you dont it will start to rust in no time :2up .For info.... Ive used the Muc-off chain lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) a few times now and seems to be working quite good others i would recommend would be Silcolene or Castrol they all seem to stay on the chain and lubricate good :cheers
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

baldy wrote:
Dickie wrote:I use paraffin to clean my chain. It's good degreaser for most metal things and won't damage the rubber seals in the chain. Just pour some on a rag and spin the rear wheel by hand, obviously not doing what many have done in the past...

Always remember to re-lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) it as soon as you can after cleaning.. if you dont it will start to rust in no time

and I use an old tooth brush, the non brush end, to push the rag into any tricky bits round the cog
ChrisR1
Just Passed
Current Ride: Gixxer 750 K4

Post by ChrisR1 »

also a good idea to go for a 5 minute run first to get the chain warm and the gunge more fluid, makes cleaning easier, and provides a benefit when oiling afterward too.
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Yeah Chris that is a good tip! I finally bought one of those chain brushes in an auto shop and it really does a craicing job with half the effort (especially if you left it aslong as i had :oops ) 10 quid well spent.

When i clean i do the following:

. Check chain tension and give it a good visual (same time check back tyre)
. Warm up the chain on a small run round the block
. Use a suitable drip tray to catch fluid all along the drive chain
. Apply paraffin / chain cleaner evenly (making sure the brakes and the wheel is not touched)
. scrub like a trooper with the afore mentioned brush / continue to apply as much de-greaser as required.
. once sparkly clean - dry chain thoroughly with an old rag.
. apply dry PTFE lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) (my preference)
. Another quick visual
. leave over night / until next use

I welcome any other suggestions, but thought it worth posting what I do for basic chain maintenance should any one be looking for the help i was.

:2up
ChrisR1
Just Passed
Current Ride: Gixxer 750 K4

Post by ChrisR1 »

also worth remembering that the oil/wax whatever lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) you decide to apply, should be applied to the inside of the chain, NOT sprayed on the outer (as the centrifugal farce on the chain will farce the lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) from the inside through the chain giving it a better lube (I can't believe it's not butter!), less spray off too), applying lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) to the outer just flings off and serves no purpose.
SS50
Direct Access
Current Ride: Blackbird
VFR

Post by SS50 »

I have allways kept a 5 gallon drum cut so if you look at the end it makes a triangle,(hard to explain but easy to work out) it shields the wheel better than a folded bit of cardboard. I just whip the back wheel let the chain dangle in the drum and scrub it with parrafin, give it a good dry off then lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) it before putting the wheel back on. Obviously not every time i lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) it, but every time It needs a good clean.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

This is why I run a scottoiler. Clean the chain, apply Scottoil by hand making sure you get the side plates covered as well, fit Scottoiler, done!

Everynow and then manually apply some Scottoil to the side plates but other than your routine checking of the tension that's pretty much it. I tend to increase the flow on the metering valve if all I am doing is commuting and lean it off for longer trips.

It's the next best thing to a shaft drive.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

WD40 + cloot.
every month or so.
leave it as dry as you can after, won't rust.
Crazy Turbo Beast
Chopper
Current Ride: Honda CBR600RR

Post by Crazy Turbo Beast »

Suppose mine could do with a clean, I lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) it regularly which helps but always thought I would have to replace the chain/sprockets before it needed a clean. Don't mind it looking dirty, as long as it is well lubed.

Do you all clean yours on the bike, nobody remove the chain?
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

I personally clean the chain fitted to the bike, usually once a month or based on bad weather / dirty riding.

Taking the chain off seems excessive unless i really need to get in about the sprockets.
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

you only need to clean the chain if you use those ridiculous sticky chain lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) products, you know, the ones that make all the sand and keich stick to your chain . . . . .

WD40 + cloot.
never mind all those glue + grease solutions.