Winter Storage

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Winter Storage

Post by Quicksilver »

Making a list of all the things I do/want to do to my summer bike over its winter hibernation got me wondering what other folks do. Any additions/differences to that below? Anyone drain fuel, tie wrap clutch lever, inflate rather than deflate tyres etc...

Wash bike – including degreasing chain and sprockets
Change oil, replace filter
Clean air filter, replace if necessary
Check plugs, replace if necessary
Strip and clean brakes, replace brake fluid
Lubricate chain, levers, cables, stand, pegs
Spray bike with Scottoiler FS365 / ACF-50
Deflate tyres, raise off ground
Remove battery and stick on optimate
Cover exhaust
Cover bike
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Winter Storage

Post by al »

Best thing is to get it out for a ride every now and then to get it properly warmed through and get rid of any "pools" of corrosive liquid that may be hidden away.

Give a good clean with the likes of muck-off then re-apply FS365 spray all over the thing till next time. Remember to lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) your chain. I prefer thin Scottoiler type lube (I can't believe it's not butter!) to those sticky products that seem to collect grit and salt.

Come the spring give your calipers a good clean and make sure the pistons are free.

If the road conditions are fine I've had some great runs through the winter.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Re: Winter Storage

Post by Quicksilver »

[quote="Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]Best thing is to get it out for a ride every now and then to get it properly warmed through and get rid of any "pools" of corrosive liquid that may be hidden away.
[quote]

I have to admit it seems like my year round commuter comes through winter better than my stored bike some years just because it's getting used.