K+N oil filter

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

K+N oil filter

Post by steve »

Is there any advantages in fitting a K+N oil filter as opposed to a normal oil filter , I have found a K+N oil filter for my bike on eBay for £11 and I was curious of the difference between the 2 of them
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Re: K+N oil filter

Post by RK6 »

As I found out last year, the K&N filters have a handy bolt head for easy removal.
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

k&n stuff regardless of air or oil is meant to filter out more unwanted crap than any other filters while not inhibiting the flow in any way

how much is your normal filter and compare?
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Are the K+N oil filters re-usable after cleaning like the air filters ?

They are only a few quid dearer than a standard oil filter
Crashgoggz
Direct Access
Current Ride: '99 Honda Hornet 600.

Post by Crashgoggz »

RK6 wrote:As I found out last year, the K&N filters have a handy bolt head for easy removal.
:stupid
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

as far as i know with the oil filters they have a replaceable cartridge you can remove from the cannister but i have never used one so cant say 100%
cant fault the airfilters they do though!

take a look on their website for more info
http://www.knfilters.com/wrenchoff_oilfilter.htm
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

I've used them in the past. I've replaced them when I've changed the oil as inside they look pretty much like a normail oil filter. The advantage is, as Rowan stated, is the 17mm hex head on the end which makes them easy to get off without having to resort to sticking a screwdriver through it!
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote: The advantage is, as Rowan stated, is the 17mm hex head on the end which makes them easy to get off without having to resort to sticking a screwdriver through it!
And the radiator hoses that lurk behind / beside :2up
Feckdeamon
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Tuono V4R

Post by Feckdeamon »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:having to resort to sticking a screwdriver through it!
Strap wrenches are your friend
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Feckdeamon wrote:[quote="Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]having to resort to sticking a screwdriver through it!
Strap wrenches are your friend[/quote]
I personally use oil filter cup wrenches. Avoids the risk of slipping although getting the filter off the cup can be a challange but at least the filter is off the bike at that point.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Post by Quicksilver »

I find this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-3 ... 129&sr=8-7 ideal for getting oil filters off. It takes a bit of technique but has never let me down.
Feckdeamon
Scary biscuits

Post by Feckdeamon »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) - I wish I could use cup wrenches, but in the past few weeks I've changed the oil in a 328 Big Mans Wanger, an old Iveco van, an YZFR6, and a CAT teleporter forklift... Balls to carrying enough different sizes for them all!
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

I bought a good oil filter strap type wrench from tool station a couple of years ago , it's great for tightening on new filters and also for removing old ones , it would probably fit slightly different sized filters and it wasn't too pricey either , sorry I've not got a link for anyone who's interested to have a look tho
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

steve wrote:I bought a good oil filter strap type wrench from tool station a couple of years ago , it's great for tightening on new filters and also for removing old ones , it would probably fit slightly different sized filters and it wasn't too pricey either , sorry I've not got a link for anyone who's interested to have a look tho
If you use one of those to tighten on a new filter it'll be a right pig to get off. Most oil filters should be lubricated at the seal and then done up hand tight only.
axoM
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda CBR1000RR, KTM Supermoto

Post by axoM »

One the best reasons for using a cup wrench or a filter with a hex, is that you can use a torque wrench to make it up to the correct make up. Then no worries about it backing off and leaking.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

axoM wrote:One the best reasons for using a cup wrench or a filter with a hex, is that you can use a torque wrench to make it up to the correct make up. Then no worries about it backing off and leaking.
When you lubricate the o-ring seal on installation, even with a torque wrench, you will over tighten the filter. Hand tight is what I do once you feel the o-ring starting to compress.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Feckdeamon
Scary biscuits

Post by Feckdeamon »

Yup, always hand tight. Unless the filter holder is like the one on the Iveco - not flat... :angryfire