Optimate

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
robertjt
Direct Access
Current Ride: Big Mans Wanger S1000R

Optimate

Post by robertjt »

I've just received an Optimate 4 for my birthday. It can switch between CAN-BUS and standard. I think my bike (S1000R) has a CAN-BUS connector, but can I attach the Optimate directly to the battery terminals? Should I disconnect the battery first?
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Re: Optimate

Post by RK6 »

Optimates usually come with a couple of waterproof connector cables so you can hook up a permanent charging point to your bike which saves the hassle of removing your seat every time you want to plug your bike in.

If you don't fancy that, you can of course just use the croc clips to charge the battery (in or out of the bike).

Good luck. :2up
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

I always put the permanent connections on and plug the bike in as soon as I get home.

My Ducati 998s original battery (renowned as being shizzle) was still working fine when I sold it after 5 years.
robertjt
Direct Access
Current Ride: Big Mans Wanger S1000R

Post by robertjt »

Cheers folks. I'm not going to fry any wiring if I connect it straight to the terminals with the battery in situ?
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

robertjt wrote:Cheers folks. I'm not going to fry any wiring if I connect it straight to the terminals with the battery in situ?
.. as long as you stick the optimate into CAN bus compatible mode as you would if you were using the flying lead. The CAN mode limits the charging current to avoid damaging any of the CAN electronics that might still be connected to the electrics.

If in doubt, disconnect the battery completely than use the charger in full power mode.

The CAN bus works by superimposing a data stream over the power cables so in theory all the parts of the system only require two wires. This, however means that all the devices that are hooked onto the bus contain electronics and are not just simple lights and switches. Good in some ways but bad in others.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).