Tatty Fork Lowers

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Tatty Fork Lowers

Post by al »

Does any one have any suggestions on what I should do to tidy up the fork lowers on my FireStorm.

The existing lacquer is really pebble dashed and is flaking off at the very bottom.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Paint...

Post by Backs 400 »

Buddy of mine got some black paint from a car dealers (tin, not spray) and watered it down with thinner. He then cleaned up the area with wire wool, wet and dry etc until any flaking paint was removed, and any surface corrosion was rubbed off.

Then, using a brush, he applied the paint. It took about 20 coats, but it really does look the business. He did this on a Honda, but did not bother removing the forks/wheels etc...lazy sod! If you were to do that, I am sure you would get a really good finish. the paint was about a fiver.

Another way is to use two-pac epoxy paint, which is what i did on my first CBR. It comes in two parts, a hardner and whatever the other part does..I can't believe it's not butter!. Its good stuff. It cures rock hard and should never ever chip or flake. Use Folia Tec's caliper paint if you go down this route...avaiable in black at about £20 a set.