Free Sex in Aberdeen

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Space Invader
Narcissism Definitely Rules

Free Sex in Aberdeen

Post by Space Invader »

Now that I have your attention, Here's one for you.......

'97 XX otherwise running like a dream....
After about 15 starts, the battery is dead.
New battery, recovers perfectly on an optimiser charging system, and will give about 10-20 starts.
I can bump start it from dead, and it will run all day no problem, so the alternator is fine.
Battery is not charging. (3rd one I've tried)
A mate says it must be the regulator (whatever that is)
Can anyone help a mechanical incompetant understand what is wrong with his otherwise perfect bike?

TSI
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Sounds like it might be the voltage regulator. Not too expensive and very easy to change once you find out where it is located. Suggest you get a Haynes Manual from library.
HAB
Direct Access

Post by HAB »

Hmmmmmm....sounds familiar.

I have an X reg XX and my battery died a few weeks ago - about 6 weeks after I bought the bike from McGowans. They replaced the battery free fo charge and said the snag was the battery itself 0 but the bike had only done 1700 miles since new - so perhaps its a bit more than just the battery gone! Since then I keep the new battery on a maintenance charge. I'll give you the website of the Blackbird Owners Club - they have an technical section that you can use or ask questions.

Website is:

http://www.ixxra.com/
HAB
Direct Access

Post by HAB »

P.S - Mcgowans said they checked the voltage regulator on the bike - and it was fine........ This has got me thinking now........ (Iknow- Iknow - me thinking is dangerous)
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

HAB wrote:P.S - Mcgowans said they checked the voltage regulator on the bike - and it was fine........ This has got me thinking now........ (Iknow- Iknow - me thinking is dangerous)
The problem with the regulator/rectifier unit is that the problems only tend to occur once the unit gets hot hence why testing in the garage can make it look ok.

If the voltage regulator section is on the way out then it will no longer limit the voltage to 15v and the voltage from the rectifier can go way above that thus it can cook you battery ( blow lights etc. ) The problem will be worse the harder you are using the engine as the alternator will chuck out more volts at higher revs etc. etc.

I bet you it's the same unit used on the Firestorm, VFR750 and the VFR400 ( Both Inzibard and myself have had to replace them in the past )

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Super Nanny) wrote:
HAB wrote:P.S - Mcgowans said they checked the voltage regulator on the bike - and it was fine........ This has got me thinking now........ (Iknow- Iknow - me thinking is dangerous)
The problem with the regulator/rectifier unit is that the problems only tend to occur once the unit gets hot hence why testing in the garage can make it look ok.

If the voltage regulator section is on the way out then it will no longer limit the voltage to 15v and the voltage from the rectifier can go way above that thus it can cook you battery ( blow lights etc. ) The problem will be worse the harder you are using the engine as the alternator will chuck out more volts at higher revs etc. etc.

I bet you it's the same unit used on the Firestorm, VFR750 and the VFR400 ( Both Inzibard and myself have had to replace them in the past )

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Super Nanny).
Ahh! There you are. Was wonderign what had happened.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Re: Free Sex in Aberdeen

Post by Gazza »

Space Invader wrote:Now that I have your attention, Here's one for you.......

'97 XX otherwise running like a dream....
After about 15 starts, the battery is dead.
New battery, recovers perfectly on an optimiser charging system, and will give about 10-20 starts.
I can bump start it from dead, and it will run all day no problem, so the alternator is fine.
Battery is not charging. (3rd one I've tried)
A mate says it must be the regulator (whatever that is)
Can anyone help a mechanical incompetant understand what is wrong with his otherwise perfect bike?

TSI
The fact that the battery recovers on the optimate makes me think that you aren't cooking it. My experience of a knackered regulator was the battery caught fire.

As you can run around all day, then yes, the alternator seems ok. If the battery is not charging you should have an indicator light telling you so. If the lights not on, then there should be something heading in the direction of the battery. Doe it just run down over night? maybe you have a slight earth leakage.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

TSI ..

Is this the same battery that wouldnt start your bike as it has no acid in it.? ;) :oops

or is this another ..?
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

Is this the same battery that wouldnt start your bike as it has no acid in it.?
Fried battery, = Flucked regulator.

£42 from the brakers in Torry, for a new pattern part that is better than the original AND COSTSLESS THAN A THIRD.

Izz,

Post by Guest »

its maybe a bit late but here is some more info for battery problems

http://www.superblackbird.org/forum/sho ... eadid=7159[/url]