Battery Drainage

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Dozer
Tube steak
Current Ride: *04 Giant XTC4 MTB
*10 Mooshed Ford Fiesta... grr

Re: Battery Drainage

Post by Dozer »

Ok, hooked the multimeter up between battery terminal and lead (disconnected), amps reads 48.1 or thereabouts. I took out the fuses one by one under the seat, and the amperage didn't change.

Ok, connected again, voltage across the battery is 12.36. Switch on bike, 12.14. Start engine, 14.71, and stays fairly level when revved.

What do I connect to to check between battery and engine, or to find out if there is a bad earth?
I'm disconnecting the negative terminal from now on when she's parked. pain in the hoop, but better than coming out to a dead battery! :biggrin2

Edited 1645, 10/10/08 - Sod it, she's under warranty, she's in a Shirlaws again. Fair do's to Craig, he's said he's not gonna let them say it's fixed again if it's not. Fingers crossed
Dozer
Tube steak

Post by Dozer »

Right... Was in past today, and they think there were corroded connections at something to do with a starter relay I think (was just off night shift, nae sleep, gimme a break :log )

Hopefully will get her back tomorrow! :freebird They're checkin to make sure it doesn't drain again once they've fixed that, just in case

God I hope so!
Crazy Turbo Beast
Chopper
Current Ride: Honda CBR600RR

Post by Crazy Turbo Beast »

Sounds like something is drawing major current like a load left on (sat nav/heater grips?) or an uninteruppted short circuit.
Check the ohms between positive and negative at the battery terminals. If its anything below 1ohm you probably have a fault.

Thats my gut feeling as I read this as you seem to have eliminated the charger and its been established that you're journeys are long enough to put a decent charge back into the battery.
Crazy Turbo Beast
Chopper

Make sure there's no screws or paper clips where thought should be fuses!! :log :log
Crazy Turbo Beast
Chopper

Dozer wrote:Ok, hooked the multimeter up between battery terminal and lead (disconnected), amps reads 48.1 or thereabouts. I took out the fuses one by one under the seat, and the amperage didn't change.
I just noticed this, 48A!! No wonder the battery gets drained.

If everything is switched off then you have a short somewhere and the fuse is not picking it up. Fire risk.

You don't have any heaters etc on the bike do you?
Dozer
Tube steak

Post by Dozer »

Nup, bog standard bike min. No phone call from Shirlaws, presuming the connectors weren't it :log
meepmeep
Mass Debater
Current Ride: ι ∂ση'т ¢αяє ωнαт уσυ тнιηк αѕ ℓσηg αѕ ιт'ѕ αвσυт мє

Post by meepmeep »

Dozer wrote:Nup, bog standard bike min. No phone call from Shirlaws, presuming the connectors weren't it :log
The suspense is fckin killin me! :log
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

48Amps at 12 volts is over 550Watts !!!!

I'd be borrowing that thermal imaging camera and looking for the hot-spot!
Dozer
Tube steak

Post by Dozer »

Yeah, sorry, I think that was supposed to read milliamps! :D I can only presume, coz I can't check on the bike :D

meepmeep wrote:
Dozer wrote:Nup, bog standard bike min. No phone call from Shirlaws, presuming the connectors weren't it :log
Cheeky begger! :biggrin2
meepmeep
Mass Debater

Post by meepmeep »

Dozer wrote:Yeah, sorry, I think that was supposed to read milliamps! :D I can only presume, coz I can't check on the bike :D

meepmeep wrote:
Dozer wrote: No phone call from Shirlaws
Cheeky begger! :biggrin2
Every time i see your name on this thread i think Craig has phoned ye, sorted yer bike, not charged ye and even given ye a full tank of fuel for your troubles.
I'm dying to apologise to him for ever doubting the commitment and craftsmanship of his service department.
:2up
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

meepmeep wrote:I'm dying to apologise to him for ever doubting the commitment and craftsmanship of his service department.
:2up
I was just hearing a story about how the workshop phoned up a customer whose bike was in for a service telling him they couldn't get it started.

I'll let you guess what the problem was.

Snoop knows ;)

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
meepmeep
Mass Debater

Post by meepmeep »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote: I was just hearing a story about how the workshop phoned up a customer whose bike was in for a service telling him they couldn't get it started.

Snoop knows ;)

Not the kill switch pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaase god no, my ribs will never take the laughter. :log
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

meepmeep wrote:
Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote: I was just hearing a story about how the workshop phoned up a customer whose bike was in for a service telling him they couldn't get it started.

Snoop knows ;)

Not the kill switch pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaase god no, my ribs will never take the laughter. :log
Give that man a ceeeegar!!!!!!
meepmeep
Mass Debater

Post by meepmeep »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
meepmeep wrote:

Snoop knows ;)

Give that man a ceeeegar!!!!!!
:log Brill :2up

Wee story, Mrs meeps out one sunny day. Heading east along NDR. Turned left at Bieldside lights, up the hill. As she turned she went to cancel her indicators and must have flipped the kill switch. So it's quite a steep hill and a narrow road. Cars are now backed round through the lights while mrs meeps tries in vain to drain the battery while desperately holding the bike on the hill :log :oops Luckily i'm there to save the day ;) :arse
Anyhow, she's a wifey so we can let it go but a service engineer.....me oh my :roll
Dozer
Tube steak

Post by Dozer »

That is class! Laughed rather too loudly out loud for 6am... :nono

Got it back today, new ignition relay fitted for free (still in warranty). Nae tank o fuel though :log

Yay! :freebird

Dozer's a happy bunny.

As of this morning (monday 3rd), it's still workin! yay
Crazy Turbo Beast
Chopper

48Amps at 12 volts is over 550Watts !!!!
Aye totally, thats why I was thinking a heater etc.

big difference between that and milli-amps I can't believe it's not butter!.
Dozer
Tube steak

Post by Dozer »

She's still startin! Woo!! Meep, feel free to apologise! Although if anyone mentions my bike to craig, I fear they may get set upon like a spider monkey! :log
Sheep24
Chopper
Current Ride: Kawasaki ER6supertwin & super stock 675R

Post by Sheep24 »

I dont do a good spider monkey impresion :oops
meepmeep
Mass Debater

Post by meepmeep »

Dozer wrote:She's still startin! Woo!! Meep, feel free to apologise!
Credit where credit is due.

In the past, with some posts, i may have given the impression that i regard Shirlaws Service Dept about as much use as well.......any other Aberdeen based motorcycle Service Department :???
Horror stories aghast from all quarters of the biking community only compounded the theorems.

Then up pops the quirky case of, Dozer and the Bandit.
Lets bear in mind that poor Dozer has had numerous diagnosises which have been remedied, only for the original problem to raise its ugly head once again. Leaving Dozer scratching his newly shaven bonce in frustration. :(

From all walks, the Aberdeenbikers rallied round Dozer with possible fixes and fittings that may have brought to life the poor Bandits powerless innner workings :cry2 but alas, their benevolent pourings of information were to fall on deaf ears as Dozer put his faith in Shirlaws for one final time.

In the days/weeks that followed, few updates were posted. Those that were only left the reader with mounting anguish and suspense at what was becoming a landmark case for Shirlaws reputation.
Then one day, it was posted, that Shirlaws had returned Dozers Bandit while successfully fixing the problem. :deal

So to finish,
a big well done to the Service Department at Shirlaws Motorcycles
and to Craig for putting his name to this also :2up

:cheers
Last edited by meepmeep on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dozer
Tube steak

Post by Dozer »

Amen to that! :log

I can't believe it's not butter!, go on Craig, try!

meepmeep wrote:From all walks, the Aberdeenbikers rallied round Dozer with possible fixes and fittings that may have brought to life the poor Bandits powerless innner workings but alas, their benevolent pourings of information were to fall on deaf ears as Dozer put his faith in Shirlaws for one final time.
Yeah, sorry about that, no offense intended... :oops