Downpipe Studs...........

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
ldm82
Direct Access
Current Ride: 56 Sprint STD
02 Fazer 600

Downpipe Studs...........

Post by ldm82 »

Hello, one of the studs for my downpipes has sheered flush with the block, I have tried to use a stud extractor to get it out but all i succeeded in doing there was snapping it in the stud :evil .

I am now left with the tip of the extractor in the stud, which i can't manage to drill through. Unless anybody has any bright ideas on how to get this out I am looking for suggestions on where I can take the head to have this removed or drilled out and a helicoil put in..........

Cheers
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Re: Downpipe Studs...........

Post by Coddy »

There used to be The Head Shop in Aberdeen, but not sure if they are still on the go. I think they are, as a lot of car dealerships used to put there heads and blocks there for skimming etc.
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Post by Cossackmannie »

And I thought I have a hell of a job getting a caliper bleed nipple out?
Totally sympathise with you mate. That was probably the thing I was dreading most when I took the Zed's exhaust off. Luckily mine were reasonablly ok.

If I wasn't so cack-handed with a drill and suchlike, I'd offer to help. :oops
speedaddictedberk
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: Speed Triple 1050, GPZ600R, K100Rt

Post by speedaddictedberk »

You any good with a welder? You might be able to weld to the back of the stud depending on access.

What sort of extractor did you use? The square hammer in ones seem to work best, I've only ever ended up with more problems using the reverse threaded type.

What sort of bike is it? If it's a fairly common model I'd price up a replacement head at the same time as you're pricing getting the work done as it may be cheaper. Not sure where to go though.
_murd
Direct Access

Post by _murd »

Ideally try and get the broken extractor out then drill it until the remains of the bolt has a realy thin wall and you can pull it out or bore it bigger and helicoil it, if not weld a nut onto the stud and hopefullt the combination of heat and the fact you will have the nut to put the socket on should get it out. I would try the helicoil last though.
ldm82
Direct Access
02 Fazer 600

Post by ldm82 »

I was using the reverse thread extractor, i have used them before and had the same problems - it's fair to say that i won't be using them again!! I will give the welder a go tomorrow to see how i fair with it, although it is just an M8 stud so i don't fancy my chances....
The bike is a 600 fazer, it is the second cylinder that is knackered.It looks like i should be able to rotate the manifold retainer 90 degrees if i can get the head drilled and tapped but it may just be cheaper getting a new head i guess.

Ah the joys of running a bike all year - everything seems to get seized :angryfire
chewbacca
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ducati

Post by chewbacca »

Hi IDM ditto what -Murd had to say probably the worst tool ever invented,if you've still got any left in your tool box ,do yerself a favour and bin them.Probably perseverance is the word,if you've still got a bit of the extractor left then all is not lost,do all you can to keep the protruding bit whole and work on it with combinations of heat and lubrication little movements back and forth.Dont get impatient cos it'll end up snapping completely.As Murd said once you get it out drill it out to just below size you should then manage to pick out the remains of the stud,and either retap to clean it up or Helicoil it.I've recoiled a whole head ,8 inserts but changed the studs,(screwed rod) to stainless steel when putting them back in.Best of luck.
J.
Sgoaty
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda firestorm, ZZR1200, RC8R

Post by Sgoaty »

If you end up having to take it off then these guys will manage to do something with it usually about £50

David M Falconer, AB21 0RX
Classification: Engine Reconditioning
Unit 7, Blackburn Industrial Estate, Kinellar, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire AB21 0RX

Tel: 01224 790080
teamemmenracing
The Real Slim Shady
Current Ride: R 6..... errrr another R 6 and XJR1300

Post by teamemmenracing »

I once had a similar sheared stud with embedded extractor removed with a plasma cutter .... but that was years ago, not sure who would do that now.
Another alternative is to wash over it ....... ie use a 9mm or 10mm hole cutter,and drill the whole thing out, re tap with a larger size ..... not the best approach but saves removing the head and is probably the cheapest.
Last edited by teamemmenracing on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teamemmenracing
The Real Slim Shady

one of these may work ..

ldm82
Direct Access
02 Fazer 600

Post by ldm82 »

Now they do look like they might be worth a shot, where do you get them?
teamemmenracing
The Real Slim Shady

just google 10mm hole cutters ........