What's the rule of thumb here?

deeplydippy
Direct Access
Current Ride: Moto Guzzi Stelvio

What's the rule of thumb here?

Post by deeplydippy »

On my way home last night from Rubbishlaw to Costa Cove, I went along Bon Accord Street and at the junction with Willowbank there was a queue of about 8 cars.

A quick check that nothing was coming and I slowly crept to near the front. Second place to be exact.
When the lights changed I just pulled off and was about to blend in behind the front car when No 2 car blasted :angryfire his horn and made ungentlemanly gestures with his hands. :wife

As I am not a violent or confrontational type of chap I just let it go and waved back at him thanking him for letting me in!

At the next lights on Bon Accord at Fonthill Road he was still in 2nd place behind said 1st car and they were both turning left - I was heading straight on - so he never gained anything anyway,.
So was I totally in the wrong or did I just meet a dickhead?

thanks in anticipation

DeeDee
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Re: What's the rule of thumb here?

Post by Zathos »

Sounds like you did what I do :2up

Driver was just being a kn*b.
kayaksteph
Direct Access
Current Ride: Street Triple R

Post by kayaksteph »

I think the boy was just peed off, a lot of car drivers dont like us bikers doing stuff like that.

I did something similar the other day and the driver flashed and flashed even more.

I think that they get annoyed that we are getting further on than them.
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: 2007 Yamaha R.1

Post by Yamahahaha »

Some people hate when bike swick the queue. I see very poor driving everyday, you are driving along and you see a car at a junction they pull out making you brake and no cars are behind you???
Below is happening more & more
1) Drivers not reading road signs (no left turn/right turn & no entry one way street)
2) Roundabouts - why are more & more people using the left lane when they plan on using the third exit. The next time you are down the beach booly look at the road marking at the roundabout. left lane - left or straight and right for right.
3) Foreign people driving about with full beam or fog lights on.

I could go on so rant over.
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

just being a dick to be honest

as long as you merged in and didnt farce him to brake etc then nothing wrong
MrT
Spank me
Current Ride: Triumph Sprint STD; Big Mans Wanger R1100GS

Post by MrT »

Car drivers get very jealous!
Borntobewild
Baw Bag

Post by Borntobewild »

I don't, I always let a biker pass me - I'm a considerate driver. I can't believe it's not butter! ;)
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag
Current Ride: GSXR 1000 K3

Post by ElectroFunkDaddy »

Borntobewild wrote:I don't, I always let a biker pass me - I'm a considerate driver. Love our Lord! ;)

I can't believe it's not butter! my misses start driving more consideratly, once I started biking as well :log :log .

DeeplyDippy, dont worry about, I get tooted at almost every second day some drivers are just knobs, I even had a mini cooper trying to take me out, by getting that close she nudged my rear wheel. :log :log :log
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

ElectroFunkDaddy wrote:I even had a mini cooper trying to take me out, by getting that close she nudged my rear wheel. :log :log :log
I can't believe it's not butter! thats just the women driver syndrome

chuckle

it was a fooking joke people
not ;)
kayaksteph
Direct Access
Current Ride: Street Triple R

Post by kayaksteph »

Ratz wrote:
ElectroFunkDaddy wrote:I even had a mini cooper trying to take me out, by getting that close she nudged my rear wheel. :log :log :log
Love our Lord! thats just the women driver syndrome

chuckle

not ;)
just a joke what about mens driving????? :nono I have never had a bust up on ma bike with a female yet. ha ha
:tung ;)
rodsquad
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by rodsquad »

I get tooted at and cars refusing to let me blend in all the f*cking time. They are just c*cks. Like someone already said - It's not like we're getting in their way - we're just passing through and they're just jealous. ;)
deeplydippy
Direct Access
Current Ride: Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Post by deeplydippy »

Cheers folks,

I thought it was me.

I went that way again tonight - but he wasn't there.

DD
andy92
Direct Access
Current Ride: VFR 800

Post by andy92 »

Do it all the time in town. Normally pull in just behind the car at the front of the line.

When overtaking the stationary line of cars, give them plenty of room and only go about 10mph.

If the lights change prior to you getting to the front, lets you safely merge wih the traffic as it pulls away.

Haven't had any problems doing this.
Dozer
Tube steak
Current Ride: *04 Giant XTC4 MTB
*10 Mooshed Ford Fiesta... grr

Post by Dozer »

Ratz wrote:
Love our Lord! thats just the women driver syndrome

chuckle

not ;)
Don't talk to me about f*ckin women drivers... :nono

:log
sneezey
Just Passed
Current Ride: Tiger 1050

Post by sneezey »

Had some bell end in a Discovery taking the hump with me filtering between to stationary lines of cars, tried to block me when I came behind him. Still have a smear of red paint on the kneeslider from dragging it the length of his motor.
andy92
Direct Access
Current Ride: VFR 800

Post by andy92 »

sneezey wrote:Had some bell end in a Discovery taking the hump with me filtering between to stationary lines of cars, tried to block me when I came behind him. Still have a smear of red paint on the kneeslider from dragging it the length of his motor.
Don't think damaging someones motor just because they didn't allow you to filter is very bright.

If you dragged your knee slider the length of the motor, it infers the gap wasn't there.

Sit back, at some stage the gap will appear. :hippy
sneezey
Just Passed
Current Ride: Tiger 1050

Post by sneezey »

Might not have been big or clever, but neither was him trying to block me when he was alrady stationary.
I'm sure I'll hae to atone for that particular sin at some point, along with 742984 other that I'd like taken intoconsideration, you Grace ;)
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

Had some yummy mummy blast the horn at me for filtering past her chelsea tractor at a round about a few cars back from the front a wee while ago, lifted the visor and asked her what she did that for in a very pleasant manner, she seemed to be chuffed to have the chance to talk to someone that wasn't 4' tall ended up havin a laugh with her and holdin up the rest of the traffic for a bit,

I think the only thing I did wrong in the situation was I didn't get her phone number :arse :log
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

Yeah, but did you get her phone number ?
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag
Current Ride: GSXR 1000 K3

Post by ElectroFunkDaddy »

no he didnt, but because it was a woman driver(only joking lady and girlies :2up ) he probably has her registration plate indented on his forehead, i'm sure he can track donw via dvla :log :log
blagger
Chopper
Current Ride: GSXR 600 SRAD

Post by blagger »

i was filtering once down by goals and had to pass a lorry in the left lane and a car driver in the right lane saw me filtering and started to steer left into the divider line to try and stop me but the lorry driver notice this and started to steer left away to allow me room to pass,, top guy and got a wave from me :2up ... some car drivers are just total d!cks. but the ones who let me past always gets a wave or :2up from me as a thanks
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

andy92 wrote:
sneezey wrote:Had some bell end in a Discovery taking the hump with me filtering between to stationary lines of cars, tried to block me when I came behind him. Still have a smear of red paint on the kneeslider from dragging it the length of his motor.
Don't think damaging someones motor just because they didn't allow you to filter is very bright.

If you dragged your knee slider the length of the motor, it infers the gap wasn't there.

Sit back, at some stage the gap will appear. :hippy
:stupid

Damaging somebody's car because they won't allow you to filter is a bit OTT. Consider how you would feel if somebody damaged your bike for a similar trivial incident.

Having ridden for many years, I can't remember that many car drivers that have a problem with filtering to be honest, and I always filter as far as possible. If it's happening to you a lot, then maybe consider it's possibly you that has the problem. Filtering is not a given right, in some countries it's even illegal. More often than not car drivers actually move out of the way.

Coincidently enough, the more you suffer road Anal Intrusion the more incidents you tend to have. ;)
lemmyhendrix
Direct Access
Current Ride: Crashed and wrote of my GSX1100F. No bike for now

Post by lemmyhendrix »

Had a similar experience recently. Going up Market Street to turn right in to Union Street, female in a Big Mans Wanger stops sudden with no traffic in front, lets some passengers out who then proceed to chat to her while the traffic is piling up behind. She just sat there, chukin her toys outa the pram as people started honking behind.
Anyway, I pulled to the right overtaking her and getting to the red light first. Saw her face in the mirror and she was livid, daft cow. I turned right in to Union Street, filtering left to turn towards college. Well this cow attempted to come round to my left, even though I indicated and gave it a good glance behind. I backed off, swerved to the right to let her in and got to the next red light side by side. She wound down her window and said "what's your fuckin problem mate". With that, there was a cop car come up from behind, indicating to her to turn right and pull over......result. I managed to pull in behind, got off my bike and the cop said he saw everything and the mad menapausel beeeeach will be gettin sent to the clink....nah not really, he just took my name, said I was remarkably restrained and praised me on my bike handling skills in dodging the said cage.
You wanna see this womans face....well you lot imagine it. I was well amused for the rest of the week.
Fekin justice is best served to all Big Mans Wanger's. Dont cha just luv 'em.
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

Filtering in the UK is (sort of) legal.
I try to be considerate to cage drivers tho, filtering right to the front at a roundabout just puts too much load on the cars who are about to pull out onto the roundabout. Merge in 2-3 cars back.
An amazing number of people get the hump when you filter past them.
An amazing number who see you coming, move over to give you room.

if people get upset at you, consider what you have done and if you think there was no reason for them to get the hump, just let it go on by.

People tooting horns is no big deal. Have had people waving guns at me for filtering in Texas. Was eventually pulled over for it by a policeman who explained that it was called "Lane splitting" and illegal. he also indicated that if someone had taken a pot shot at me, I would be the one considered in the wrong.

With the ever increasing amount of people on the roads who learned to drive elsewhere you really really need to be on your toes filtering these days. Asian drivers only look where they are going (it's how they are taught) they will not see you until you are in front of them.

Filter 20/20 (20 miles an hour faster than the traffic you are passing until the traffic you are passing is doing 20 mph itself) although I don't filter that fast anymore, more like 10/10 for me now.

and, if there isn't a gap, don't make one.

But, I'm old and YMMV.
lemmyhendrix
Direct Access
Current Ride: Crashed and wrote of my GSX1100F. No bike for now

Post by lemmyhendrix »

I just gotta add something else on the topic of filtering. I come up from Forfar on the A90 3 times a week and there is always a tailback bout a mile or so before you get to the first roundabout coming in to Aberdeen (sorry bout the description but I dunno the street names yet). Anyway, when I tackle the A90 I always wear my reflective vest and when the cages in front are stationery, their manners have always been impeccable (mind you I'm not sure if they think i'm a copper from a distance). The traffic parts like the Red Sea (without the Moses dude) and on I go, happy as a pig in you know what. I've always been very impressed, even the lorries sometimes find a way to pull over a wee bit to let me through. I'm with the last guy posting here, 20mph or so over what the other traffic is doing when they are crawling... up to the speed limit.....Max (Billy-Ray) 20mph in stationary traffic.

Be safe everyone