Hanging off on the road (debate)

Stew
Just Passed
Current Ride: '10 Z1000

Re: Hanging off on the road (debate)

Post by Stew »

PPE is the last form of defense whether at work or on a bike.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

acebobby wrote:
johncat68 wrote:Each to their own way of riding a bike

Been a nice weekend and seen lots of bikes on road
with riders/pillion with just t-shirts, jeans and trainers on

Does it just make you look like a tit to other road users?
whats the opinion on that one?
There is no law against it so its up to the individual!
I personally dont skrimp on protective clothing, about 9 years ago I got a front tyre puncture mid corner at about 60 mph, it was a left hander and I ended up veering across the road and hitting a wall side on completely destroying the ligiments and tendons in my right foot, I was wearing protective gear in that crash and I can assure you I never walked away! I had treatment for over a year and will walk with a limp the rest of my life, had I been wearing t-shirt, jeans and trainers, not worth thinking about really!

Bobby
I dropped my bike last December after messing up an emergency stop. I was doing less than 5 mile an hour when the front washed out trapping my foot under the bike. Even with sturdy Moto-X boots I managed to break 3 metatarcils in my foot. I am still in pain and have limited movement in my toes to this day. I hate to think what shape my foot and ankle would be in if I wasn't wearing the right gear.

But at the end of the day it is the riders choice what protection they choose to wear. I choose to wear as much as possible.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Try full PPE in 36 deg and then see what you think?

Probably less than 1% of riders where full PPE over here.

In the UK no doubt the same people would have all the kit on. But sometimes, you realise it's the riding that makes us bikers, irrespective of the risk.
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Vietnamistan was much the same, the Top Gear episode showing Clarkson with a colander for a helmet wasn't far off the mark. :log

I wear full kit 99% of the time because 99% of the time I'm under threat of lightning strike, IED's, nutters in Micra's/Avensis's, police cars reversing into me, 14 year old neds belting me in the head, spiders munching my face etc etc etc...

Lucky me. :boohoo
DarrenR
Scaramanga
Current Ride: 09 zx10r

Post by DarrenR »

Ive just read thro a few of the replys to this thread and decided i should reply.

When i am on track i hang off my bike, feels natural and because im so poo scared i highside ive learnt id rather hang off the bike. On the road, i dont make the same effort to hang off but i still shift over the seat and hang my knee out, if its a good road i know ill adopt exactly the same style as i do on the track. Ive grown used to the feeling that hanging off my bike gives me, id far rather be doing that than leaning further over and risking a highside.

I dont for a minute think hanging off my bike makes me one bit slower at all, why should it? It comes naturally to me now and i dont have to think about doing it.

A perfect example would be Me and Matt. Matt on the road from what ive ever seen never moves over the seat with knees hanging out, like has been described in this thread thats the ideal style to have on the road. It seems to work for him as he is very capable on the road, whereas my style is different but im equally as capable on the road so i dont think theres a style you should adopt if you want to be quick on the road.

Obviously if your hanging off your bike like a tit trying to scrape your knee at any opportunity your gonna get a hard time from the anti-knee down nazi, there is no need.
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

I must just be lazy, don't think i have ever hung off the bike, to lazy to move my ar5e........
Don't think it would be any advantage...to me anyway

2p
legalish
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha r1,,,Yamaha xj900 trike,,mod'd bandit 12

Post by legalish »

my own opinion is
ive wresteled old gsx's and gsxr 1100's around some of scotlands best roads and i find just shifting my arse an inch or two to either side helps me set up for the corner aproaching,,,
me personaly,,rather be fast n smooth and aware of whats going around me..

i can also ride past shop windows without looking at my reflection,,,,,,,,, :log

who am i to critsise though,,,,to many people forget these days what bikings all about....
and after 20+yrs ride'n it still makes me smile when i pull out my drive.....................
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

legalish wrote:my own opinion is
ive wresteled old gsx's and gsxr 1100's around some of scotlands best roads and i find just shifting my arse an inch or two to either side helps me set up for the corner aproaching,,,
me personaly,,rather be fast n smooth and aware of whats going around me..

i can also ride past shop windows without looking at my reflection,,,,,,,,, :log

who am i to critsise though,,,,to many people forget these days what bikings all about....
and after 20+yrs ride'n it still makes me smile when i pull out my drive.....................
I agree with most of that but I don't believe you about the shop windows!! :log
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

cbr1100 wrote:I must just be lazy, don't think i have ever hung off the bike,
This is not strictly true ......
You were certainly hanging off the bike at Dunnet head ! (all be it not intentionally) ;)
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

Zax, good memory, that was 3 years ago.................... :biggrin2