Starting in winter?

McEloff
Direct Access

Starting in winter?

Post by McEloff »

Hi all, first post here.

Just wanted some advice from you guys pls.
I have completed my CBT and is in the middle of my DAS. I've just done my big bike training but due to frost at the Cove test centre I was unable to do my Mod 1 when I was booked for it, so now have to wait for the next available space that Phil at 2112 can get me (and suits him). It seems pretty booked up and the weather doesnt always play along, so I guess absolute worst case is that I have to carry my test to early next year, by which time I would need training again.

I was planning on my first bike being a novice friendly big bike (something like DRZ400S, MT-03 etc) as I do not like the idea of me on the A90 (I live just outside town in the Shire) with just 125cc....(I'm a big boy)
But now with all the delays I am contemplating just getting a cheap 125 to see me through winter and then (even if I manage to get my Mod 1 & 2 done this month) only get a big bike come summer.

So my questions are, am I just stupid for wanting to learn now just before winter and should I just park the whole idea for next year or shall I at the very least wait for my full license and get a big bike rather? Or shall I go for the 125cc now and see how many hours I can squeeze in now?
Whatever I do I try and keep safety at the top of the list, so my mind kind of tells me to maybe restart my training next year (more hours training wont be a bad thing) and get straight onto something that i wont feel unsafe on when I hit the A90

Appreciate any comments/advice!
McEloff
Direct Access

Re: Starting in winter?

Post by McEloff »

I just thought of another option, I see biketec supposedly offers 125cc bike rental at £35 per day or £100 a week. So I could rent a 125cc for a couple of days/weekends between now and whenever I manage to get my Mod 1 & 2 sorted... so I keep my hours on the road up and avoids me buying and insuring a bike I dont really want and would just get rid of soon as I can anyway
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

I passed both my car and bike test in wintry conditions and didn't hesitate for a moment to suck up all the good advice and lessons that where taught through out bad weather driving.

in fact most of my lessons where in fading day light hours and in rather inclement weather conditions.. personally i believe it has done a great deal for me mentally and physically when on the roads in poorer than average conditions.

Just my tuppence worth to be honest..Welcome to the site and good luck with your tests :2up
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Welcome onboard

If you can afford the 125 then go for that. It will keep your hand in and give you valuable experience before your Mod 1.

You'll be surprised how many good days you'll get when you can give it a try. Avoid very cold days when there's likely to be ice or even worse black ice about. Once you're confident, get out in the rain. Maybe you'll change your mind and never ride a bike again, or maybe (like me) you'll actually enjoy it. There's some pretty good winter kit available these days, so being cold shouldn't be too big of a problem on shorter runs.

Again, the wet riding will give you invaluable experience and so long as you take it very gently with both throttle and brakes and give yourself a little more stopping room. It's really no more dangerous than riding with vigor in the dry. :2up
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

I passed my bike test end off November, so the winter should not put you off.

But as a fair weather fanny, i have not ridden a bike that late in the SUBSEQUENT 16 years. :log

;)
Last edited by Coddy on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Coddy wrote:I passed my bike test end off November, so the winter should not put you off.

But as a fair weather fanny, i have not ridden a bike that late in the preceeding 16 years. :log
You were riding a bike for 16 year before you passed your test? :deal
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
Coddy wrote:I passed my bike test end off November, so the winter should not put you off.

But as a fair weather fanny, i have not ridden a bike that late in the preceeding 16 years. :log
That's a long time on 'L' plates ;)
McEloff
Direct Access

Post by McEloff »

Thanks all for the advice, appreciate it. I'm going to look at a low mileage YBR tonight. If it's in not too bad nick i'll probably pick it up. It's cheap enough to not lose too much money when I resell it again next summer.
Will keep you guys posted
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

McEloff wrote:Thanks all for the advice, appreciate it. I'm going to look at a low mileage YBR tonight. If it's in not too bad nick i'll probably pick it up. It's cheap enough to not lose too much money when I resell it again next summer.
Will keep you guys posted
:2up
sneezey
Just Passed
Current Ride: Tiger 1050

Post by sneezey »

Go for it, plenty of decent riding days through the winter, as long as it's dry.

I always make a point of being out at least once every winter month.
McEloff
Direct Access

Post by McEloff »

Just an update, that's me picked up the YBR last night.
It's not fast, its fekkin ugly, but it will do for now.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

McEloff wrote:Just an update, that's me picked up the YBR last night.
It's not fast, its fekkin ugly, but it will do for now.
It is worth it for getting the miles in. Every day is a learning day.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
stitch82
Chopper
Current Ride: kawasaki ZZR 600

Post by stitch82 »

Thats good buddy, like everyone says every day is a learning day. If you just fancy a spin about for a couple of hours give me a shout. Im looking to start getting my experiance up on a big bike when I pick it up next tuesday :2up
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

as above if you need some company i am usually available to go for a run just PM me - more than happy to go at a pace suited to anyone really. :2up
Ninja Winja
Direct Access
Current Ride: Aprilia Shiver, Honda Cityfly

Post by Ninja Winja »

A decent 125 is a great winter tool if you plan to ride when the weather is shall we say 'inclement.'
I have put the Aprilia away till spring and comute on my wee honda. It's only a 125 but is more than adequate for getting around on. I come in to town from Portlethen every day and stick to the back road.
Good luck with your test and everything. :2up
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

Zathos wrote:[quote="Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]

That's a long time on 'L' plates ;)[/quote]

I've seen him ride, I'm surprised it was only 16 years . . . . :log
McEloff
Direct Access

Post by McEloff »

Cheers for the offers of ride-alongs, might take you guys up on it. Luckily I have a friend round the corner who got himself a a YZF-R125 recently as well to tag along to.
I'm on leave today so will get as much hours as possible in, looks like I got a Mod 1 booking for end of the month now, lets hope the weather holds.